Thread: 2012 camaro l99 auto swap to ls3 manual

Potential Tuner

2012 camaro l99 auto swap to ls3 manual

If anyone has time- need some direction on a car dropped on me. I will try to filter out non relevant work and post what I know.

2012 camaro l99 with auto trans. Customer had a separate unknown shop install 2012 ls3 with manual transmission.

Original l99 computer was reused with original operating system- tuned and tweaked on to make it start. Ran horribly , back fire, several dtc codes, no cam signal, no clutch pedal signal
    BCM and ABS original as well

I received car- pulled diagram of harness- one by one did pinout from pcm to each sensor on engine can the previous installed clutch pedal with sensor. The harness diagram of l99 vs ls3 in that year very similar minus the dod. Cam sensor wires were wrong- fixed the back fire. verified clutch pedal wires are correct to pcm pinout.

Now for the crazy tuning. it would not idle and any snap throttle would allow rpm to fall to far down causing it to stall. the final airmass table was zeros in the low rpm range. I changed it to 5g/s. 90 percent resolved.

DTCs: i still get u0101 (for missing tcm) out of the bcm, p0600 1 time, several random light and accessories malfunction out of the BCM.
    ABS- u0101 , traction control on .

When driving - it will take of like a jet, then go to reduced power mode.

My questions:

1)What do i need to restore clutch pedal sensor function? I was told I need a manual operating system to be flashed by gm mdi2 so all 8 layers of coding change? Can anyone verify this? I have changed the trans to manual in hpr tuners but make no difference.

2)Do I need to change BCM or ABS module? Can it be disabled? I did disable any reporting in the engine diag section of hp tuner on the tune- still get the u0101; BCM hp wont touch.

3) I found a 08 ls corvette manual trans tune on this website. do you think writing this with mdi2 will be compatible?

2008 Corvette 1G1YY36W285102738 6.2L LS3 M6 1188609391.hpt

Tuner
    HP tuners does not handle automatic to manual transmission changes. The manual, automatic selection box does nothing as you have discovered. Until you change to an ECM that has a manual transmission you will have problems with VSS, gear tables, torque tables and who knows what else.

Potential Tuner
    Hey i appreciate the response. You think if I take the e38 pcm and do complete flash over with that manual corvette tune on mdi2- or maybe use vette vin to pull factory file and write it that way with mdi2? I was told physically the e38 manual and auto pcms are the same, can you verify?

Tuner
    I think the manual and automatic E38s are probably the same hardware. However, HP tuners does not have the ability to change the transmission from automatic to manual or vice versa.

I recommend you do what I did. Buy a E38 on Ebay for your engine with a manual transmission, and match your throttle body and gas pedal. You will be able to add a VSS to pins 71 and 72.

Be sure you read the part above about HP Tuners not being able to change your transmission. Some of the members will say something ugly soon if you keep asking if you can do it with HPT.

Good Luck

I don't think all the non-ECM computer modules in your 2012 Camaro will be happy if a Corvette ECM does a big ol' cannonball into the pool without warning. If you had a drivetrain swapped into an old truck or something it wouldn't matter much because all the Camaro stuff would be gone.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, i was asking if any had experience with using the gm factory mdi2 ( not hp tuners) to do a complete write over.

Sure, but the ECM will then have a different VIN from the car (have to feed a manual trans VIN to SPS to get the manual trans calibration to flash).

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Waybux View Post
    Thanks, i was asking if any had experience with using the gm factory mdi2 ( not hp tuners) to do a complete write over.
    Sorry, there seems to be confusion all round. MDI2 is an aftermarket wifi interface for GM vehicles not a GM made device. You need software to use the interface. With no mention of the intended software you get HP Tuners responses on this board.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Waybux View Post
    Are you asking if you can use an mdi2 to write an HPT file to your ecm? No.

Quote Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
    Sorry, there seems to be confusion all round. MDI2 is an aftermarket wifi interface for GM vehicles not a GM made device. You need software to use the interface. With no mention of the intended software you get HP Tuners responses on this board.
    MDI2 is the GM dealer tool like the Tech2 used to be.