Thread: PCM swap for true VE table

Banned

PCM swap for true VE table

my 2011 GMC Yukon is on E38 PCM without true VE table option, which cars/truck used E38 PCM with 2 bar OS that i can swap?
    or is there and option to flash my PCM with SPS/Techline using different VIN to gain this feature?

best regards
    Last edited by wasyl; 10-06-2023 at 12:53 AM.

Flash the 2 bar custom OS under the OS tab. Problem solved

Banned
    Wish it was that simple, there was series if E38 PCM that did not have this feature and HPT team confirmed that. This is why I wonder if flashing firmware thru SPS with different VIN that has this feature will add it or do I need to find proper PCM and what year car/trucks I need to get by service number.

Interesting. I would imagine flashing it with a different VIN would work but I don't know for sure. Do you just want to just get a regular VE table or are you specifically looking for a 2 bar OS for boost?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wasyl View Post
    my 2011 GMC Yukon is on E38 PCM without true VE table option, which cars/truck used E38 PCM with 2 bar OS that i can swap?
    or is there and option to flash my PCM with SPS/Techline using different VIN to gain this feature?

best regards
    You can do a lot with the VVE.. It isn't that bad.

-cons
    there is a VVE error bug. Some cars, once in a blue moon will have a 1/4 sec key off/on feeling. Not all do this. Nothing I'm aware of will fix it.
    no boost PE. this is handy because slow passing someone on the freeway with 1 psi of boost is better at a 12.8 AFR than a 11.8
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Banned
    I want regular VE.
    I tuned lots of cars with different PCMs, standalones, carburetors both n/a and boosted and I must be dumb not to understand how to tune VVE PCMs. Did read all the threads, set Scanner properly with WBO2, and still every time I click calculate coefficients it changes whole map where I changed only couple of cells, this is f*cked up cause it changes what already was fine tuned.

The HPT Gen 4 COS (Custom Operating System) was something that HPT developed as an interim solution - while they were still sorting out the OEM VVE coding. Once HPT had developed a solid VVE interface, that ended the necessity of using a COS - which ended all Gen 4 COS development.

Your 2011 E38 Truck likely uses OS 12639835. As you already know, there is no HPT COS available for this OS.

The 2012 E38 Trucks originally used OS 12647991, which was subsequently upgraded to OS 12653249. Both of these 2012 OS have a COS available (1250233 and 1250237).

In a custom vehicle (Hotrod) changing from a 2011 to a 2012 E38 would be reasonably straight forward. However, if you are working with an actual 2011 production vehicle, then this change may cause some issues.

At a minimum, you would likely need to write the 2011 vehicle VIN into the 2012 E38. This is not an issue with some tuning software, but HPT software will not like it. You will not be able to write the older VIN to the newer E38 using HPT, and this action will also "break" the HPT ECM licensing strategy - requiring the E38 to be licensed (licensed again - if you have already licensed it).

The above scenario is a bit complicated for the average user. It would be much more straight forward to use the existing 2011 E38 ECM - and learn how to tune the OEM VVE - it is not that difficult (once you have done a few).

VVE isn't that bad once you learn how it works. Biggest thing is adjusting the zones to keep the transitions smooth. The rest kinda falls in place just like regular VE. Cringer's method on here works very well. Here's the link if you want to try again. It's post #132

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-airflow/page7

Shrek's method will work as well but you will need access to SPS/Techline and license your ECU again. Up to you if it's worth it I suppose

Banned
    Thanks for the input, I'll give this VVE one more chance

Best regards