Thread: Using scanner to log and verify converter stall.

Using scanner to log and verify converter stall.

Anyway to use the scanner to verify the stall converter. Was told converter was a 2800 stall but I'm not convinced. I can upload a log file after work. But my log does show on my drag pass when on the line when we flashed the converter we showed movement at 1600 rpm. What pids to log and this to analyze?
    2001 monte carlo swapped l67 on e85
    XP cam
    gen5 m90
    NorthStar throttle body
    speed daddy headers 3inch exhaust
    3.0 pulley
    lq4 maf
    cold air filter behind bumper
    60 lb injectors

Lock it in third gear, rolling at 1200 RPM or so. Lay into the throttle. RPM should go up to the stall speed and hold there, while MPH will increase. Once MPH and stall RPM cross, only then will RPM start to rise along with MPH. You can see this pretty easy just by looking at a graph of engine RPM and MPH.

The higher the stall speed is the easier this is to see on a graph (or on a tach, that's really the only tool you need, no computers required).

Keep in mind about advertised stall speeds not meeting expectations, if your engine makes shit for torque the stall speed will be lower than if the exact same converter was behind one that makes gobs of torque. And, that 'stall speed' DOES NOT mean the minimum RPM before the car will move itself.