Thread: Help with Drive by Wire.

Tuner in Training

Help with Drive by Wire.

I'll try to explain this the way I understand it. I recently tuned this truck with the HP Tuner. Corvette Ls1, 4L60e

http://www.corinthclassiccars.com/listings/l0001.html

OK, he also had an upcoming project with similar drive train. So while there I flashed the ECM for it as well and updated that one with the proper gearing and tire etc...

Here is the issue. The 2nd vehicle has an LS6 engine with drive by wire throttle, other than that, I am told, all else is the same. Supposedly the ECM can be changed to handle the drive by wire. I got a call from the guy and they have some sort of conversion system in place but all it will do is start and run, no throttle input.

My background. I.T. Built and wired several Mustang EFI conversions to include my own Factory Five Cobra. Tuning EEC's, F.A.S.T, and so on. What is the Scalar, or setting I need to change to activate the Drive by Wire system in the ECM, or does it even exist in this application?

Thanks, Patrick.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What year PCM? You might need to change it over to a DBW operating system in the end.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    It is a 2001 unit. I'd have to call him back to be sure. It was 6 months ago when I tuned it. Seems there was a cut off date from old to new, and this was supposed to be a newer LS1 configuration. If that makes sense.

What do you mean by DBW operating system? A completely different ECM or can I flash the one he has with with the DBW o/s? If so where can I obtain a DBW o/s?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You should be able to do a full write flash of a camaro/firebird operating system if you have both of the model year licenses on your hardware.

Tuner in Training
    Yes that just dawned on me. I just got of the phone with him again. (we're almost 2 hours apart). He said there is a LS1 Vette nearby with a DBW system in it that came in the other day. He felt sure it was close to 2001 as this ECM is that needs the DBW. What are the year groupings I need to be confident it will work?

To be clear it sounds like I can just take this LS1 vette, copy it, and flash the other 2001 LS1 ECM without any licensing issues. I think I can just delete the Vette license after that step is complete to free up that resource for a later project. Right now we have 4 licenses. Two are used. The Truck mentioned above and this 40' Ford with the LS6 engine (but with LS1 electronics).

Thanks in advance for all your help.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Im not sure of the year groupings for vettes as I don't tune them...but 99-02 fbodies should work with 99-03 vettes as the pcm's are near identical.

Tuner in Training
    OK, is there an odd chance anyone here would have a base DBW o/s I could down load and flash this one with? If that question is not appropriate for this forum please disregard. The Ford EEC's are a little different and is how we do it on the dark side . Typically the older EEC's tuner hardware stays with the car so that hardware theoretically becomes the license and returns to stock as soon as it is removed.