Thread: G8 GT Auto to Manual 6 speed Conversion E38 ECM.....

G8 GT Auto to Manual 6 speed Conversion E38 ECM.....

Does anyone have a source for getting a new or used E38 ECM programmed with the appropriate manual tune for a 2009 G8 GT that had an Auto in it??
    I have called a couple of places back East, Ohio specifically seems to be where all the ECM people live...lol.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    John

Ebay. Search for the Service Number plus "programmed-to-your-vin".

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyG8 View Post
    Does anyone have a source for getting a new or used E38 ECM programmed with the appropriate manual tune for a 2009 G8 GT that had an Auto in it??
    I have called a couple of places back East, Ohio specifically seems to be where all the ECM people live...lol.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    John
    I would think a manual G8 GXP file would be a good starting place.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

He's already been given a GXP manual trans VIN like 3 times already in other threads on this same topic.

And the GXP tune is a different OS and I don't want to brick my only ECM original to the car. While i did go to EBAY and hunt around and called several vendors to no avail.........i did get a private response from some one who was willing to help me.

Advanced Tuner
    Why do you think it will brick it if you flash it with the correct tools? You do not have any other option than flashing the GXP OS if you want the manual OS. Buy a compatible spare ECM just in case you need to flash your original OS to it?

You cannot flash a different OS, even if it's the same ID, using HP Tuners. HPT only writes 6 segments, there are only 6 segments in any Gen 4 tune file. There are 8 segments in a Gen 4 ECM.

You would need your own Tech2/MDI/Mongoose/VCXNano/whatever other J2534 device plus a SPS/Techline subscription. The quickest, cheapest solution to this problem is to just buy a used ECM programmed to a VIN you supply. Much cheaper than buying your own hardware and a subscription just to do one single ECM this one time and then never use it again. If you are wanting to get into the dealer-level reprogramming business and this will be an ongoing thing, that's different.

If the problem you're having trouble finding someone to help you solve is that you need a manual trans file but with your existing auto trans VIN, then you're realizing why things like this are not normally recommended for cars that have to be registered and inspected and insured.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyG8 View Post
    ... And the GXP tune is a different OS and I don't want to brick my only ECM original to the car ...

Warming up my crystal ball ...

You never posted the original calibration from your 2009 G8 GT, nor the 2009 G8 GXP calibration that you have procured.

However, if the OS is different, that means that you have an early production 2009 G8 GT - which is essentially a 2008 carryover vehicle.

The 2008 G8 GT and the early production 2009 G8 GT used an E38 ECM with Service Number 12612384 (a 2008 version), and were programmed with OS 12624402.

The 2009 G8 GXP and the late production 2009 G8 GT used an E38 ECM with Service Number 12625455 (a 2009 version), and were programmed with OS 12633016.

You cannot flash the later 2009 OS (12633016) into your early 2009 G8 GT ECM (which is actually a 2008 E38).
    Last edited by Shrek; 09-23-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Shrek, Thanks for responding. You are absolutely 100% correct Sir!! Sept of 2008.......

Shall I post them here anyway??

A calibration for the M6 VIN 6G2EP57W99L310255 will only work with service number 12625455. Many GM parts sites where you can look up stuff by the VIN.

Ok Blindsquirrel ECM E38 service number 12625455 has been ordered. Thanks for the help. Next up programming!!!

And how do you plan on doing that? You have access to something other than HP Tuners? Based on the kinds of questions you've been asking it doesn't sound like you do.

Senior Tuner
    If you provide a vin we can SPS it for you. Not a normal service we offer.. email [email protected] if you need it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I think where he's getting stuck (or will get stuck) is that he has a car with an auto trans VIN tag, and he lives in California, and just doing a straight ECM swap with the new, different manual VIN is not going to make anybody happy at the state inspection station. And he doesn't have the non-HPT tools to handle setting up the existing car modules to work with the new VIN anyway.

The closest I think he'd be able to get is the new manual ECM with the old VIN in it... but at inspection they still check the Cal IDs and CVNs against what the vehicle VIN should have. It's going to fail that part real hard.

Reached out to Pat Guerra. He is going to take care of it for me. You Guys are very well educated on this subject matter and I have appreciated all the direction and help that has been given. I will post the outcome later. As for now I am waiting for the Motor mounts to come in from Holden Parts USA and then the work of getting it all in starts. Thanks again!!

Engine install completed. Between Pat Guerra and Wille Ute on the G8 Board I have it running. Completed one 10 minute heat cycle and I have 2 more to go. Thanks again for all the help here on this site. I just need to bleed brakes, Bleed Clutch and get the driveshaft shortened and I can start logging parameters for Pat to modify if necessary. Cheers Everyone.