Thread: 2019 6.2 E90 Neural Training Question

Potential Tuner

2019 6.2 E90 Neural Training Question

Just had a DFM/DOD delete done on my truck after it spit a lifter 7k miles out of warranty. I cant get the truck to idle, unless its at 800-900 rpm. Doesn't matter how much idle torq I add, falls like a rock unless I save it. Almost got accident trying to log it. It has a btr stg 2, 210* cam stock vvt. Twice, I was able to save it with the pedal at target rpm and it would hold not for long. Just to add, the mechanic who did the work is not a tuner.

My Question is, should I tune the NN first? The truck runs great off idle. Fuel trims are 7-8%. I'm starting to think I have a mechanical issue.

Any help is much appreciated

Tuning Addict
    VE needs to be tuned in, but I'll let you know the NN trainer is a BIG PITA to use. I honestly don't believe it works right, but maybe it's me and something I did wrong, but it always seems to calculate or prioritize off of the base line of the model which can completely throw your idle or below idle area completely out of whack making it lean. I've only had to use it once, but it did that every time I went to get the calcs back to reinstall into the tune.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Same here. Same exact issues. Especially cold start

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    VE needs to be tuned in, but I'll let you know the NN trainer is a BIG PITA to use. I honestly don't believe it works right, but maybe it's me and something I did wrong, but it always seems to calculate or prioritize off of the base line of the model which can completely throw your idle or below idle area completely out of whack making it lean. I've only had to use it once, but it did that every time I went to get the calcs back to reinstall into the tune.
    Glad I found someone I trust also fighting this. After years of VVE working flawlessly and Gen5 becoming even easier for me to make drive nice than some of the Gen4 stuff I find this NN trainer unusable. Frustrating to say the least.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    Glad I found someone I trust also fighting this. After years of VVE working flawlessly and Gen5 becoming even easier for me to make drive nice than some of the Gen4 stuff I find this NN trainer unusable. Frustrating to say the least.
    I used the entire month worth of credit time chasing the off idle area and TRYING to make that work with deceleration and going back to an idle. Thing is the OE cals have nice humps or whatever. This stupid tool keeps wanting to flatten and smooth everything out. Really ticked me off Think it was the day my credits expired I finally settled on a 3/3 swing leaving idle 3% lean and everywhere outside of that 3% rich. Same going into wot or anywhere along that load area where it knocks it down.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I finally settled on a 3/3 swing leaving idle 3% lean and everywhere outside of that 3% rich. Same going into wot or anywhere along that load area where it knocks it down.
    +/-3% error should be pretty close. A LOT of factory calibrations have larger errors than that in the base airflow model.

Tuning Addict
    The problem was it was constantly spitting out 8% or more errors (up to 12 or 14 %) due to how the tool flattens out what you put into it. I wound up having to hand manipulate the models before I plugged them into the tool and then hope for the best :/ I HATE having to do that Makes you look really stupid sending the customer corrections and they come back with logs worse than what they originally had. I even went as far as plugging the proposed spit back settings back into the calibration before sending it back, which is enough of a pain on it's own, just to try and get ahead of what the tool was doing.

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by Xfingas View Post
    Just had a DFM/DOD delete done on my truck after it spit a lifter 7k miles out of warranty. I cant get the truck to idle, unless its at 800-900 rpm. Doesn't matter how much idle torq I add, falls like a rock unless I save it. Almost got accident trying to log it. It has a btr stg 2, 210* cam stock vvt. Twice, I was able to save it with the pedal at target rpm and it would hold not for long. Just to add, the mechanic who did the work is not a tuner.

My Question is, should I tune the NN first? The truck runs great off idle. Fuel trims are 7-8%. I'm starting to think I have a mechanical issue.

Any help is much appreciated
    Did you ever get this figured out? Same exact issue i am having and nothing seems to be helping. Small cam shouldnt be this difficult

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    +/-3% error should be pretty close. A LOT of factory calibrations have larger errors than that in the base airflow model.
    Greg have you working on NN? As soon as they put cam in and its a small DOD delete cam, trims went to crap, about 10-12% rich. Had to pull out of MAF which totally screws tq model. Injector scaling wouldnt change anything, i did NN changes, we global 20 up and down on NN tables and effected nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lxlaw View Post
    Greg have you working on NN? As soon as they put cam in and its a small DOD delete cam, trims went to crap, about 10-12% rich. Had to pull out of MAF which totally screws tq model. Injector scaling wouldnt change anything, i did NN changes, we global 20 up and down on NN tables and effected nothing.
    Good grief that's frustrating. Makes me want to go buy one and start banging away at it by some other means. I wouldn't mind spending a ton of time on it if I felt like I was gaining ground but I don't feel that I am currently gaining any ground.
    Bo Woody owner:
    APS Automotive
    www.apstuning.com
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    405-424-RACE

Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    Good grief that's frustrating. Makes me want to go buy one and start banging away at it by some other means. I wouldn't mind spending a ton of time on it if I felt like I was gaining ground but I don't feel that I am currently gaining any ground.
    Bo the hard part I thought it would be something simple when i took it on like older 15-19 stuff. Just turn off DOD and adjust some idle stuff ? it has bit me in the ass big time.