Thread: 2017 Shelby F150 - why so lean at WOT?

Advanced Tuner

2017 Shelby F150 - why so lean at WOT?

Stock tune attached:

01 luettu autosta.hpt

Stock WOT log attached:

02 ekaveto.hpl

For me it seems to be a bit lean and also quite far from commanded lambda. Any reason for that?

I didn't find a parameter to log if catalyst enrichment (or similar) was there or not during wot.

Senior Tuner
    Hard telling the reasons for what Shelby on this tune, but the throttle body model doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think that sudden jump is correct. Also, there's a typo in the Effective Area table. Column label should read Throttle Angle not Throttle Area. From this, and a few other places, it looks like a custom OS.

Its a bit lean more n/a territory but this is waht is commanded...but STFTs adding over 10% so that would suggest you are out of pump or injector.
    Not sure what is done to the fuel system but 0,9 bar of boost might be game over even for boost a pump.

Advanced Tuner
    So I added some WOT enrichment and now it seems to be better. Confirmed also with WB on another run.

Still a bit of knock and advance is not very stable at WOT. Maybe I have too many channels while logging?

02 ekat muutokset.hpt

04 finalveto samoilla s??d?ill? kuin edellinen.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Adding enrichment is a bandaid. There's still the difference between actual and commanded. .708 commanded, .75 actual.

One thing is OP is enabled, but the MP for it isn't. That means that the cam angles go to OP, but the spark and torque tables aren't referenced.

Also, in the Speed Density section Maximum Load for the MP's active have 0. Should be 1 I think.

Maybe try something like this:

Or try the other direction and disable OP entirely by setting Enable Pedal Position to 200.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 08-16-2023 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Adding enrichment is a bandaid. There's still the difference between actual and commanded. .708 commanded, .75 actual.

One thing is OP is enabled, but the MP for it isn't. That means that the cam angles go to OP, but the spark and torque tables aren't referenced.

Also, in the Speed Density section Maximum Load for the MP's active have 0. Should be 1 I think.

Maybe try something like this:

Or try the other direction and disable OP entirely by setting Enable Pedal Position to 200.
    Well this is 2 gen based tri core so OP switch does absolutely nothing, there's no way to utilize OP MP in this OS...

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles View Post
    So I added some WOT enrichment and now it seems to be better. Confirmed also with WB on another run.

Still a bit of knock and advance is not very stable at WOT. Maybe I have too many channels while logging?

02 ekat muutokset.hpt

04 finalveto samoilla s??d?ill? kuin edellinen.hpl
    Better but this is not a good solution. You might want to hook the fuel pressure sensor to the fuel line to see how much the fuel pr drops.
    The funny thing is you have long terms on minus and short terms on plus. Might want to try to reset KAM first.

That knock you had was false, hit once and gradually drops is the way you can tell.

Senior Tuner
    What do you mean? Gen 1-3 Mustangs can go into OP.

Fuel pump maybe. Find it hard to believe Shelby didn't rate the pump for their $80k custom job. Thing is when more fuel is commanded more fuel is delivered, as a comparison of the two logs shows. 0.75 lambda solid from 3300 rpm to shift at 6150 rpm really makes me doubt it's a fuel delivery issue.

The knock may or may not have been false. The gradual drop is because of the recovery rate Spark>Retard>Rate Fast (3 degrees in 10 seconds). Spark is pretty hot. Best to err on the side of caution, especially with a supercharger, especially at the top of the RPM/Load range.

It's strange that WOT lambda is maintained at what the table says, but commanded keeps getting lower. The O2 sensors are doing a good job correcting, but how do they know to correct to anything other than commanded? That makes me suspect a problem with calculations based on the airflow models. For example, ETC Throttle Angle Error trends with the difference between Actual and Commanded lambda. This happens at any point of the log.

Things like OP, Speed Density, Throttle Body Model would do this.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 08-17-2023 at 05:17 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Rescale and lower your Fuel Enrichment Pedal %. You have OP enable set at 55% so you'll be in OP before PE. I prefer to PE before OP.

Your tag says your from Finland, I looked up the DA there and it's 1200 ft. Your running enough timing WOT, maybe need to retard a little and adjust your SD

The OP switch does nothing for gen 2 gen 3. They run OP once the threshold is met. EQ commanded on these command with fuel trims. WB .8, EQ Com .75, STFT 5

What do you mean? Gen 1-3 Mustangs can go into OP.

Fuel pump maybe. Find it hard to believe Shelby didn't rate the pump for their $80k custom job. Thing is when more fuel is commanded more fuel is delivered, as a comparison of the two logs shows. 0.75 lambda solid from 3300 rpm to shift at 6150 rpm really makes me doubt it's a fuel delivery issue.

The knock may or may not have been false. The gradual drop is because of the recovery rate Spark>Retard>Rate Fast (3 degrees in 10 seconds). Spark is pretty hot. Best to err on the side of caution, especially with a supercharger, especially at the top of the RPM/Load range.

It's strange that WOT lambda is maintained at what the table says, but commanded keeps getting lower. The O2 sensors are doing a good job correcting, but how do they know to correct to anything other than commanded? That makes me suspect a problem with calculations based on the airflow models. For example, ETC Throttle Angle Error trends with the difference between Actual and Commanded lambda. This happens at any point of the log.

Things like OP, Speed Density, Throttle Body Model would do this.
    No they really dont, even +20 wont go into OP VCT at all. OP MP is not used since S197.

Senior Tuner
    Ah I get it. OP references other MP's instead.

Ah I get it. OP references other MP's instead.

So its not using mapped point named OP? Its using variable cam schedule named OP.

In fact you dont ever have to enter OP VCT like some calibrations tend to do.

Senior Tuner
    Right, so my original suggestion concerning that isn't valid.