Thread: Stuck need a few ideas? --Tachometer not working after VVT delete

Tuner in Training

Stuck need a few ideas? --Tachometer not working after VVT delete

2019 C7 A8; 39000k miles
    No tacho is the main issue right now;

Did a dod insert block off / mild cam with 4x gear 3 bolt gear/pushrods/lifters/trunions/springs, valve stem seals/oil pump/chain/tsp gen 5 vvt delete timing cover. Doing forum hunts I'v addressed the cam set to 0 ; Zereod out all the intake vvt tables, removed codes (after they got set permenant ). Pretty sure that the dod and vvt deletes in the ecu are correct, sadly I did get to where the Cam Position high and Low codes are set to permanent as are some phaser codes as it is disconnected and the GM technician working on the tcu turned the car on even tho I EXPLICITLY said not too. Host of other codes that make sense for the original failure that are yet to clear. Had a lifter collapse which wiped out the cam lobe, a rocker and a pushrod beginning this whole "upgrade". Lots of should have could haves would haves at this point. should have just slapped a set of new lifters in and sold the car.

For the 20.00 I went ahead and swapped the cam sensor today. @ 4 hours of labor. Blind cramped work behind the SC.

Still no tach -> Going to chase this out over the weekend as I have a Pro Charger in the way so for proper electrical diagnosis is going to take some disassembly. Before I dig into that and decide if I need to pull the header to check the crank sensor as well hoping to limit my work with the following questions;

Question 1. Is the camshaft sensor the only thing that "controls" tachometer in a C7?
    Question 2. Is the crankshaft sensor still just used for locating stroke on start?" (That is all it did on my old LS6); PS the LT engine does run "poorly" but runs.
    Question 3. Can the TCU effect the Tachometer? The speedo is working used TCM from 2018 C7 Z51.
    Question 4. Can permeant codes be blocking the vehicle from checking systems and or driving the tachometer?

The ECU is showing 0 RPM so I don't think this is a cluster issue.
    I'm stumped only other issue is that I sent my TCU to a bad man, and he basically stole it instead of installing his "software" post HP decrypting to boot. So I got a replacement tcu and was trying to have a dealership train it, but they couldn't citing the codes and mostly the lack of RPM signal not allowing them to do a Crank Learn.

Any clues or tests are welcome I haven't been tuning since early Gen 3 days 1999-2001 era. Why I sent my stuff to a bad man to be "tuned" wasn't looking to learn GENV attached is my tune with VVT and DOD disabled old ProCharger setup still needs adjustment for the cam, but until it will show RPM it's really hard to dail in anything.testpls.hpt
    Last edited by albrntout; 08-09-2023 at 11:06 PM. Reason: attaching vcm file

Tuner in Training
    Update:

Got it going, new crank and 2nd new cam sensor. Non-scientific testing, unplug and re-plug post sensor swaps;

2019 Crank Sensor drives the tachometer.