Thread: 2007 6.0L Gen IV DOD/AFM Delete with L96 non afm cam

Tuner in Training

2007 6.0L Gen IV DOD/AFM Delete with L96 non afm cam

Hi Folks,

I did a DOD/AFM delete on a 2007 Gen IV 6.0L (L76) . I used the GM L96 6.0L VVT Cam, use w/ OEM Valve Springs (28-12626660)

Started Right up. Runs on every other cylinder...which is what I expected...till we tune this out.

Two questions, please.

1) If I purchase and HP Tuner, are there a set of "tunes" that are available for this particular engine with the new cam and will it actually fix the timing for the L96 cam in addition to removing AFM?
    2) Since there is NO VLOM on the engine, should we install resistors to simulate the coils in the VLOM? Or just tape/seal off that connector?

Thanks for helping this newbie!

Potential Tuner
    with the HP tuners there is a general parameter that says "Lean/Fuel saving". the very first option will say DOD - Enabled all you have to do is disable it and apply the new map. you litearally do not have to touch anything else. ive done it on a 16 tahoe. it will readjut itself as neccassary, your 2nd question im not too sure about

All you have to do after tuning out the afm is seal the connector off or cut it off like I did mine.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    All you have to do after tuning out the afm is seal the connector off or cut it off like I did mine.
    Thanks. How does the computer know that the new camshaft has different LSA and duration from the AFM/DOD cam?

Tuner in Training
    Maybe I was able to answer my own question...are these the same part? Or are the DOD lobes different and not reflected in the numbers below?

Original L76/L77 cam is Camshaft Part Number: 12625439: Duration @ .050 in. (int./exh.) 196?/208? Valve Lift (int./exh.) Valve Lift (int./exh.) 0.478 in./0.466 in. Lobe Separation 116?
    Chevrolet GM OEM Camshaft - L96 - NON-DOD - Retains VVT - 12626660 196/208 .467"/.479" 116 LSA

Senior Tuner
    I'm not sure that morepowerjoe was really saying just turn it off and end there. Probably meant that just for the DOD part and still need to tune for a new cam just like any other vehicle.

Yes gtstorey that's exactly what I meant. Off coarse you need to tune for a new cam. How would the ecu know you did anything unless you told it so.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

I'm not sure on those cams being the same or not. You would want to retune regardless.

Senior Tuner
    And there was a discussion I came across on here recently (don't know if it was new post or older post) but the DOD cams are quite a bit different on the ramps and I think will actually have more air flow for the same "typical" cam specs on a non DOD cam.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. So for a newbie tuner, is there a place to enter cam specs in the tuner software? And when you upload to the ECU, will the ECU and HP tuner return based on that?

Tuner in Training
    UPS just delivered the HP tuner! Yeah..Took too long.

Question: Does the hp tuner have a module to run a test on the new cam? My standard OBDII reader showed a bank 1 lean code after running a while. Probably tied to the new cam. I am kicking my butt that I did not compare the lobe profiles before I put the new cam in!

Senior Tuner
    Post your unmodified tune here.

Tuner in Training
    @SirusC1024 Sorry for the delay. Here is the tune for the 2007 L76 engine with the L96 non-dod cam and all ls7 lifters. Everything else was returned back to original. Thanks in advance for looking at it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    @SirusC1024 Did you have an opportunity to look at this tune? Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by radjr View Post
    Thanks. So for a newbie tuner, is there a place to enter cam specs in the tuner software? And when you upload to the ECU, will the ECU and HP tuner return based on that?
    No you'll have to re calibrate it manually. There is no place to input cam specs for the tune. Those two are close enough to where it will work just fine on the OEM tune.

If you've removed DOD stuff physically you will also need to disable the associated codes.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. All the LSA and lobe heights seem to be the same between the AFM/DOD and L96 cam. The only difference, I think, is the rise and fall shape of the non-dod cam. Yes, I did replace the cam with a L96 non-dod cam and all lifters with standard roller lifters. How would I go about re-calibrating the camshaft? Is there some training or video that shows how to do it without blowing up the engine?

Tuner in Training
    I tracked down the specs for both cams. There are differences.
    Stock arm intake 196 deg exhaust 208 deg intake lift .478 exhaust lift .466 LSA 116 deg
    L96 cam intake 193 deg exhaust 200 deg intake lift .476 exhaust lift .476 LSA 116 deg

Intake is 3 degrees earlier
    Exhaust is 8 degrees earlier
    Intake lift is .002 lower
    Exhaust lift is .010 higher
    Engine runs fine and seems to have better around town mileage but only 16.5 mpg highway versus 17.5-18 with arm

How do I tune to optimize the new camshaft? Thanks!