Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Which Wideband is right for YOU?

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I would run a Haltech wideband! I run one of them in my Camaro full time and for the money it can't be beat. It's just as accurate as my NGK is. It also control's 2 sensors and the control box is tiny in size. It does have free air calibration as well. I'm not certain if it's got capability to read NTK sensors or not but mine came with 2 bosch and they are doing fine. I put my NGK in the exhaust with the Haltech and it was reading identical values through my scanner through the EIO of the interface. It's got individual 0-5v outputs for each sensor. They also sale a gauge for it or you can obviously hook it up to your programmable gauge. My only beef with it is the instruction's don't show the afr to voltage transfer function but luckly my buddies work for Haltech America and I got the info from them. 0v=10afr 5v=20afr with 14.70 as stoich. I configured mine to read lambda in my scanner however.
    Thanks for the info. I have the NGK sensor on my JAW that tested good from the guy I bought it from (5Liter Eater) but it uses the same plug I think. I'll have to take a look. With the Turbo6 I don't think I can run a second sensor pre turbo from what I've heard. It'd just cook the sensor.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Potential Tuner
    This information has been a great help... Thanks to all for your responses!
    New to Tuning

2005 GTO A4
    Current Drivetrain Mods:
    MSD Wires, LT Headers, Hi Flow Cats, 3400 Stall (w/cooler), GTPrix TCM

I just got my PLX SM-AFR and how do I hook this up to the MPVI?
    2002 Camaro SS
    2013 Jeep JK 2 Door

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    Over the weekend I replaced my AEM with the MTX-L. I replaced the AEM because the analog outuput was not reliable as mentioned above. It would shift from day to day and I would have to re-do the offset and/or slope but towards the end I noticed that the output was not even linear (sometimes). I got fed up with it and decided to try the MTX-L mainly because I wanted a gauge type WB to fill the hole im my pillar pod that the AEM left and also because of price point ($189 shipped from Amazon).

I installed it the same was the AEM was, with the power from the alternator via a relay and ground to body. I have one analog output going to my Aeroforce Interceptor and the other to the AC pressure for piping into HPT. I set up the transfer function in the Aeroforce exactly as it should be based on how I have the MTX configured and it matched up exactly with the display on the MTX across the AFR range from 9.9:1 to 22.4. I didn't have to mess with ground offset at all. I have not hooked up HPT yet so I'll review on that later.

There are several features I like about the MTX:

I like that it will read all the way down into the 7's because my target WOT AFR is 11.5 and the AEM would only go down to 10. When I first started spraying meth I was likely richer than 10 in spots but I wouldn't have known it with the AEM since it would not go lower than 10.

Free air calibration. This was not an option with the AEM.

I like that the outputs are configurable. By default one reads from ~7.3 to ~22.3 and the other emulated nerst cell but I can configure them both however I like. I will likely set them both to read 8-18 across the 5V range to gain a little resolution. Also, if I wanted to verify that the Aeroforce and HPT are seeing what the MTX says its putting out I can set the outputs to flatline at a certain voltage and see if they match.

I like that stoich is configurable. Most wide bands are hard coded to show lambda as 14.7 but with the MTX I can set it, so I have set it at 14.2 to account for the ~10% ethanol blend in today's pumps. If I want to run E85 I could change the value again and still tune in terms of AFR instead of lambda.

The gauge's LEDs and LCD are configurable and independent of the analog outputs. The LEDs sweep from green to yellow to red. I can tell it I want green to represent 10-12 AFR, yellow 12-13 and red 13+.

I've always steered clear of the Innovate products because I judged they have a reputation for not being reliable but no one has really tried the MTX so I decided to giev it a shot. Only time will tell if it proves reliable.
    Hey 5_Liter_Eater,

How are you liking that MTX?

I'm liking it a lot. Very consistent and not one hiccup.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, thanks for the update.

I have the Innovate MTX-L wideband and the wide band gauge reads .2-.3 different than the reading in HPtuners charts while scanning. I have moved the ground, calibrated the O2 again and still the same. Any ideas? It is actually off from the stock o2's also. I am using the LC1 calibration when I set it up in HPtuners. Thanks
    2011 GMC Sierra 4X4 SLE Lysholm 2300 Supercharger 5" BDS Lift, 33X12.50X20 Nitto's and 20" Chrome Wheels.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hhoelle View Post
    I have the Innovate MTX-L wideband and the wide band gauge reads .2-.3 different than the reading in HPtuners charts while scanning. I have moved the ground, calibrated the O2 again and still the same. Any ideas? It is actually off from the stock o2's also. I am using the LC1 calibration when I set it up in HPtuners. Thanks
    You will most likely need to adjust the offset. The LC1 might have a different offset than the MTX. Look for the correct info in the manual for your MTX.

Take a look here...
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28176
    Last edited by Tigre_loco; 03-17-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added a link

Potential Tuner
    Anyone have a recommendation for a non-perminant setup? What I'd like to do (if possible) is remove one of the factory narrow band sensors (while disabling it in the tune) and install the wide band sensor in its place. Next, I'll want to wire the wide band to the pro interface and do my tuning. Once done with tuning simply reverse the procedure.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Bill,
    Have you had any issues with the MTX not reading the same as the narrowband o2's or anything that would make you believe it's not accurate? I have an AEM right now and I know it's not accurate. Reads 3% lean across the board.

Thanks
    Jim
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

No. If yours is reading slightly leaner than the narrow bands I would suspect tiny pinhole air leaks at the WB bung.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater View Post
    No. If yours is reading slightly leaner than the narrow bands I would suspect tiny pinhole air leaks at the WB bung.
    I already checked and even put some exhaust sealant stuff on there just in case. No change to AFR, lean 3% across the board. At this point I no longer trust the WB especially seeing how I've gone through two sets of brand new NB o2's just trying to get it figured out, no change there either.
    2001 Z06
    JCR fabbed Twin Turbo

I have had my MTX-L for a while now. It works great. I did have to adjust the voltage offset. It was about 0.3 off.

The only issue I'm having is using it as a wideband, narrowband, and hooking it to HPTuners.

The narrowband part starts to read richer and richer, until I recalibrate, but I'm not sure if it is the cars PCM or the wideband. No other J-body people with the same PCM has run it as a narrowband and a wideband. I love it as a narrowband since my stock O2 sensor is not heated, and the car doesn't run 100% till it is warmed up, but it has done this since I put a header on years ago.
    Last edited by -MD- HHR; 09-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    The NGK Powerdex AFX is discontinued. They have a new product coming out to replace it. My AFX unit quit working. There is nothing they can do or will do for me. Out of luck Charlie so sorry and the new unit we cant release any information about it yet until the press release. I'd like to tell them what they can do with their press release.
    I have a friggin 20k engine I cant tune now as I put my faith into their unit which quit working and is now discontinued and they are useless to help with it.

I know have the displeasure of having to rip it out and trying to find a new unit that isn't junk and will be just as accurate.

I am going back to my FAST dual AFR meter. I will send it to FAST to be checked out to make sure its functioning as it should first. There is no way to calibrate them.
    Last edited by 79 z28; 03-17-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: more info

Curious as to what happened to your unit? I've been using mine for over 4 years now without any issues. And it's even had ground faults go through the analog circuit and accidentally wired up backwards on a battery a few times. Lots of beating and banging and still going strong...
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Always Support Our Troops!

Potential Tuner
    how good is the dyno jet wb2... is it good or did i make a mistake buying it... they say its off by like 2 point is that true
    any help is appreciated
    White 2008 TBSS 3ss... K&N intake, Borla proxs exhaust

My suppliers still have lots of stock on the NGK wideband kits.

Everyone seems to agree that the NGK unit is the best bang for your buck. But if it is indeed discontinued, which unit would everyone agree is the next best unit to buy?

I personally don't see the NGK being discontinued being an issue for anyone. The sensors can still be bought at the store and the story of the box itself going bad above is the first case I've personally heard of. I'd still recommend getting that unit.

I am personally going with an AFM1500 once I can get my pennies saved up.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

The 91101 NGK AFX has been discountinued:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...x.asp?mode=nml

However it has been replaced with this:

http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=30503

My suppilers have them in stock.

I have a copy of the manual that comes with the new unit if anyone would like a copy I can email it to them. The file is too big to attach here.
    Last edited by Moparmatty; 05-01-2014 at 03:42 PM.