Thread: Will someone take a look?

Tuner in Training

Will someone take a look?

I am not a tuner, I am a technician. I use HPT for things like disabling features but that is about it. We have a customer who put a stage 2 Low Lift cam in their truck and had it tuned. The truck does not run well and I told him I would have someone who knew what to look for look at the tune. Can anyone tell me if this is a legit tune or if he needs to look elsewhere for a better one?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I would not call that legit. Still looks 90% stock.

Doesn't look like the owner did his homework nor did the shop that tuned it. The shop is beyond stupid to not even tell the customer that their truck runs the smallest injectors that GM offers and are no where near close enough for the power this engine could make. It's go 21lb/hr injectors on a cammed 5.3. The stock 25's on the 2000+ models are often too small for many camshafts.

So the person needs larger injectors ASAP, then it needs to be re-tuned. The VE table for fueling in untocuhed from the looks of it. Was done MAF only, which is just lazy tuning.

Fueling is way to fat for power enrichment, what kind of shop doesn't even change that crap. I'm sure I could find other stuff too, but basically it has to be completely redone.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    This kid ordered the cam not knowing what he was ordering. He's a gearhead and likes turning wrenches so he put the cam in himself. He paid $500 for this tune and when he left the truck would barely run and he was told he needed valve springs to get it right. Thanks for your responses. That's pretty much what I needed to know.

Well if all he did was install a camshaft and nothing else, that is also a problem.

It does need valve springs and it does need the correct sized push rods too, if that wasn't done.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your advice. I will let the guy know and he can make the call on what he's going to do next.