Thread: New Tuner trying to learn, any advice?

Tuner in Training

Smile New Tuner trying to learn, any advice?

I've had my MPVI2 for a few years now. I've played with it some, but this is my first real attempt to tune/calibrate a vehicle. I think that I've done okay, but i'd like some feedback. I have several questions as well lol. I have attached a google drive link with every single step from the entire process for your viewing pleasure.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

The vehicle is a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L LM7 (non-flex) 4WD. It is stock, besides cats removed, a flowmaster 40 (I think) exhaust, and oversized A/T tires. I am using an AEM UEGO 30-300 wideband sensor. The truck also has a fresh set of GM Genuine Knock Sensors, ACDelco plugs, and a set of AutoZone coil/plug wires. It is currently driving phenomenally, I'm honestly surprised how much of a difference just tuning has had on it.

The order in which I tuned was Transmission, MAF, VE, and then spark. I only tuned the low octane table on E10 87 octane from Murphy's, any spark that I added to the low octane table was also added to the high octane table because that made sense to me I guess. I will revisit high octane with actual 93 octane fuel in the future.

My first question is, How much EQ error is generally considered "acceptable" for MAF and VE? I felt like I was chasing a ghost trying to dial in the last 2-4%.

Also, After my last spark file I was still showing up to almost 2 degrees of KR at one point. This was after I added the high octane table and knock learning back in. Is this something to worry about, or should I just let the knock learning take care of it as it picks up knock and blends the two tables?

Where do you guys typically set PE to come in at? and how fast would you normally ramp it in?

Thanks in advance!

Senior Tuner
    Good enough on the EQ error.

Set the High spark table to Low values. That will tell you if it's knocking because of knock learner bringing spark up. Should have been tuning Low spark this way the whole time.

Some people make PE come on depending on stall rpm. I don't think it matters. I do set it for less enrichment in the lower rpms. Bring it on quick in the ramp. 1.000 is fine. The values for PE Enrich are something to tune.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 07-16-2023 at 01:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Set the High spark table to Low values. That will tell you if it's knocking because of knock learner bringing spark up. Should have been tuning Low spark this way the whole time.
    This is what I meant by adding high octane and knock learning back in. I matched my low and high octane tables every step until step 10, which was my final revision.

Around step 9 I was getting around less than half of one degree KR. So for step 10, I subtracted these values from the low octane table.
    This is where I added back in the stock high octane table, plus any additional spark over stock settings that I was already running in step 9 (mainly lower load values 0-6k RPM).

I think I forgot to save my log file for step 9, but I logged more KR in step 10 than I did in step 9.
    I had a few cells that were 1 to almost 2 degrees degrees KR AFTER I added the high octane table back in.
    Is this something to worry about, or should I let the knock learning function do it?s job and pull spark as it needs

How does one determine how rich or lean to set desired PE enrichment?
    Last edited by aguyfromms; 07-16-2023 at 02:43 PM. Reason: i type like a 5 year old when I use my phone lol

Senior Tuner
    I see. Make sure it's knock learner. Should be able to track across the spark tables base+IAT+ECT+...

There's a range recommended for NA. In absence of a dyno sometimes you can feel the difference. I'd start off here then make adjustments.
    https://www.safrtool.com/SAFR-AFR-values.asp

Not every engine respond the same. HPTuners Virtual Dyno might be some assistance here.