Thread: KL V6 tuning

Potential Tuner

KL V6 tuning

Can anyone in the know with this model please help me with getting the best tune. AND? Does anyone know if JEEP can or will unlock the PCM?

Tuner in Training
    I am curious about this also. I have seen several posts on Facebook, obviously take it for what it is worth if it is found on FB, about using HP Tuners to tune newer Jeep Cherokees. When I look on the HP supported vehicle list I see 2014 KL with 3.2 but no mention of newer models. One person who had posted on FB stated the way to tune a newer KL was to buy an unlocked Jeep PCM and use that. I see unlocked Jeep PCMs for 3.6 in some models but instinct tells me that will not work otherwise HP would list 3.2 also. Another stated they were getting RPM Motorsports to tune their Cherokee and that business was using HP as a platform to do the tuning. Others I asked questions of just did not follow up which is not unusual. I grew up changing jets in carburetors, engines that had points and condensors, changing timimg by rotating distributors, etc. this computerized stuff is not something I know much about. I know my old 2002 Grand Chrokee used JTEC and that sometimes manufacturers change their software programming/parameters but is each single vehicle so different that an unlocked 3.6 PCM cannot be used on a 3.2?? Aren't the "operating systems" the same for same year vehicles until a major update is done??

Tuner
    KL's can be tuned.....I fully detailed the process in the forums and facebook years ago

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f87/ho...-2l-v6-247719/

You need a PCM from a Cherokee of the same year and same engine, and HP tuners will unlock the PCM for you, choose a tuner of your choice

Tuner in Training
    Tyler - I appreciate your reply!! The thread you linked to was one that I found when researching, I remember when you first posted it. Keep in mind I do not know much about tuning new vehicles. I had a friend of mine who runs a shop, and uses HP Tuning software, look at that thread prior to posting here and he stated your method would work for 2014 - 2016 Cherokees because they had "the same PCM" but that it would not work on 2017 and newer Cherokees due to "updates". I do not know enough to decide if that is true or not, so I posted here. I may just not get it tuned, there does not seem to be a definitive answer. I heard HP underwent some personnel changes and they are concentrating on newer models only now which is unfortunate.