Thread: 3100 V6 High Spark at Idle and Tip in, HELP! files and logs attached

3100 V6 High Spark at Idle and Tip in, HELP! files and logs attached

hello!
    i usually dont post here because im not a real hardcore tuner like the majority here.. however im having an issue with high spark im hoping someone can give me a hand with... im at a loss as to why its doing it.

heres the story.

1999 Lumina 3100 v6. p04 ecm. stock motor.
    T04e turbo, Deka 60 injectors. 255lph pump in the tank. 43.5 rail pressure. manifold ref'd.
    wideband after the turbo, nbo2 in the stock location. turbo dumps back thru stock exhaust.

so here we are. ive tuned this car in a couple stages and learned all about it each time, and have otherwise been daily driving this thing the entire time.

it started life n/a on 17# injectors, which i just tuned... poorly for fun. more of a learning experience.
    then i upgraded to L67 36# injectors from bosch with the 255 and retuned. i guess it didnt really need it. lol
    then i think i added a 56mm tb from a 3.4 v6, which required minor tuning.
    i then added deka 60's because i intended on high boost targets and perhaps E85 in the future.

the final stage was adding the T04e turbo, which i started tuning in SD, open loop. after adding a 2 bar map sensor. i had to create parameters with tunerpro to be able to get the correct map scale and all. i proved the MAP change out while it was still n/a on deka 60s. and daily drove it for weeks and weeks with no laptop after the 60s.

once i got to the turbo stage of things, i started over fresh with the attached "turbo startup tune".

i began first by tuning the MAP/Speed Density in Open Loop, as well as my spark to best suit what spooled good and what was safe for a non intercooled setup.
    everything there seemed to be a success and it idled correctly, drove correctly, and built boost good. no issues what so ever. DFCO turned off. MAF failed on software, SES lights, and physically unplugged. (some say thats not necessary, i beg to differ as ive tried untuned VE vs Tuned VE and my transients DRASTICALLY were better with a tuned VE)

anywho- now we get to the main course of all my woes.

i started friday? to get my MAF meter tuned. as i was satisfied with spooling and drivability.
    the flexplate began grinding pretty badly lol on a couple hot starts, so i figured i'd yank the motor and replace it. i did that this weekend.

i go back to resume my tuning journey here at the FINAL stages (the MAF meter) only to have serious enleanment issues (i can attach a log of this, but i doubt its needed, but ask if it is. the more relevant log will be attached)

i noticed that both idle, AND the tip in were like, 50 degrees of spark??
    confused, i tried an array of things, but i preserved the original tune/calibration(s) in the process. nothing succeeded!!!

i went BACK to the "boosted startup tune.hpt" i had created and the car idled correctly, and otherwise revved ok. (attached as "boosted startup sample.hpl")

in confusion, one thing i did try was to create a parameter from the tiny tuners database that hptuners doesnt provide called "max allowed spark advance" and i lowered the stock value of 50 degrees down to 35 degrees. the 35 degree idle will be reflected in the "maf5psi sample.hpl" along with its corresponding tune "maf5psi.hpt".

nothing i do seems to really cure this problem.

i even took the original "boosted startup tune.hpt" and copy pasted all of the hptuners values from "maf5psi.hpt" into it... only to be foiled yet again with high spark at idle.

the only 1 notable thing i do notice is, the maf5psi.hpt VCM makes the car idle around .06 g/cyl where as the "boosted startup tune.hpt" makes the car idle around .11 g/cyl.

ive been thru just about everything i can think of with no real cure in sight... and now im just at a loss.

im hoping maybe someone could possibly look at these log(s) and vcm(s) and identify my problem?

"maf5psi.hpt" is where i left off prior to the flexplate install.

i went back to my 5psi Speed Density Tune just for shiggles as well, only for that to NOT work as well, and idle at high spark.

ive performed what i think is a proper crank relearn as well. no avail. please help.

attached you will find the startup tune (with log), the SD tune(no log with it), and lastly, the most recent MAF tune with datalog of it idling and a little revving.

thanks guys.

boosted lumina startup.hpt
    startup tune sample.hpl
    maf5psi.hpt
    maf5psi sample.hpl
    sd5psi im happy with this.hpt

one thing worth noting is, my injector data for the earlier "startup tune" was incorrect for the deka's. it wasnt until a little later i learned what was CORRECT for deka 60s. but that shouldnt hold any bearing on this. just a poorly skewed tune in the earlier stages. unless im wrong.
    Last edited by Vbb1994; 07-04-2023 at 07:58 PM.
    Sometimes money isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time is an issue, sometimes it isnt. Never at the same time are they both not an issue.
    -79 c10 8.2L th400 holley efi. T6 s480 coming soon.
    -99 lumina 3100, 2 bar- SD60, 255lph, with a T04e
    -03 trailblazer, soon to get a S366

ok and i went thru my laptop and found one more perhaps useful logs for the audience. the log latest.hpl was a Speed Density Drive with the MAF meter just recording. it goes with the "sd5psi im happy with this.hpt" i had no complaints about that drive.

edited: deleted 2nd log, wasnt relevant after closer inspection. sorry
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vbb1994; 07-05-2023 at 05:20 AM.
    Sometimes money isnt an issue, sometimes it is. Sometimes time is an issue, sometimes it isnt. Never at the same time are they both not an issue.

ok, perhaps support or one of the software developers can rectify this?? can someone tag staff?

i found the issue thats adding high spark.

i went setting by setting by setting, one reflash at a time until i found the culprit today.

within the attached vcm(s) , under fueling tab, "cranking fuel vs ECT" is whats adding the spark. i did it 3 times turning it on and off to prove it to myself.

if i leave the tables all zeroed like stock, it idles at commanded spark. if i put values in, it adds ridiculous spark to idle, tip in, and some other areas.

again, can someone tag a staff member? i dont know how. OS version 9367321

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbb1994 View Post
    ok, perhaps support or one of the software developers can rectify this?? can someone tag staff?

i found the issue thats adding high spark.

i went setting by setting by setting, one reflash at a time until i found the culprit today.

within the attached vcm(s) , under fueling tab, "cranking fuel vs ECT" is whats adding the spark. i did it 3 times turning it on and off to prove it to myself.

if i leave the tables all zeroed like stock, it idles at commanded spark. if i put values in, it adds ridiculous spark to idle, tip in, and some other areas.

again, can someone tag a staff member? i dont know how. OS version 9367321
    Open a support ticket via the HPT main website (not through the forum pages).