Thread: egr input on p59

egr input on p59

Has anyone been able to use the egr input for anything since HPT got rid of the enable/disable switch? Every thread on this issue seems to die with no resolution, or worse, somebody saying to just use the a/c input. And yes, I am logging my wideband via the usb port on my computer already. This is for something else.
    edit- Update on posts 16 and 17 with problem resolved by Aaronc7.
    Last edited by gametech; 07-08-2023 at 12:09 AM.

HPT no longer has the enable/disable tab. Also, this is a 2bar sd os. I even got out an old computer to try a much older version of hpt. I was thinking maybe I could enable egr in an old file, then reapply the 2bar os, then copy all my tuning changes to the new file. Unfortunately, my original stock file was on the computers that were stolen with my original hpt cable about 13 years ago. And of course the 2bar os was originally done back when you had to send your file to hpt and let them change it, so the file says mod locked. I don't even think I can read my current tune out with pcmhammer and directly edit the .bin file.

If you post the file, like the guy eventually did in the thread I linked, some kind soul might be willing to change it for you.

Or go find v4.8.7 somewhere.

I don't mind letting somebody have a crack at it. This is the current work in progress with the new cam and heads.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's not there!

In other '04 GTO files with the same 12587604 OS, it is there. But applying the 2-bar OS to one of those files makes it go away.

Without your stock file (your changelog doesn't go back to before the custom OS, I looked), the only way to get at the EGR is either write somebody else's stock file and then go through all the BS of licensing and changing VINs, or get it reprogrammed with SPS for your correct VIN and use that as the base going forward.

Custom OS also makes the Spark > EGR table go bye-bye. This is not (solely) an editor version thing like on some other platforms, it's there and then not there even in 4.8.7.

Now you see my issue. I even directly messaged hpt with a request to see if there was any way of reverting to my stock os, since they did the 2bar os way back before they started letting customers do them on our own. If my original tuning computers and cable had not been stolen I would still have everything that I need. As it is, I have already double paid them for cables and licensing and am loathe to spend anymore credits unless absolutely necessary. Since I am currently in between turbo kits I don't even need the 2bar os right now. At this point I am thinking of flashing in a stock bin from another car with just the modifications to the vin, control module os, and control module serial number if possible to make hpt think it is my original file.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Custom OS also makes the Spark > EGR table go bye-bye. This is not (solely) an editor version thing like on some other platforms, it's there and then not there even in 4.8.7.
    Actually, even though the spark>egr table does not show up, it still appears and can be edited if you ctrl-n egr it. I thought that was pretty strange.

EGR enable/disable shows up in the list in Navigator too, it's just not accessible in the custom OS files.

Advanced Tuner
    With 12587603 based custom OS I was able to enable it via navigator in older versions. It was a little weird how it didn't totally show up, but it worked. Another option is UDP.

Well, how? Because there's no right click or double click that'll make it show up in the right hand pane.

screenshot.04-07-2023 07.17.10.png

EGR enable/disable shows up in the list in Navigator too, it's just not accessible in the custom OS files.
    In my 5.0.4 version, the enable/disable does NOT show up in navigator, but the spark table does, and IS editable.

Advanced Tuner
    Well, how? Because there's no right click or double click that'll make it show up in the right hand pane.

screenshot.04-07-2023 07.17.10.png
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronc7 View Post
    With 12587603 based custom OS I was able to enable it via navigator in older versions. It was a little weird how it didn't totally show up, but it worked. Another option is UDP.
    Maybe you're right it's been a long time. Either way I just added it via UDP to make it easy.

If OP can wait a few more days I'll be home from vacation and happy to make the quico edit to enable it on the COS file.

Maybe you're right it's been a long time. Either way I just added it via UDP to make it easy.

If OP can wait a few more days I'll be home from vacation and happy to make the quico edit to enable it on the COS file.
    I appreciate the offer, and am in no big hurry. I just don't want to disable something like the tank pressure input or a/c in order to run a fuel pressure input through the PCM to log with HPT, and it is nice to not have extra wires running to my interface cable.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gametech View Post
    I appreciate the offer, and am in no big hurry. I just don't want to disable something like the tank pressure input or a/c in order to run a fuel pressure input through the PCM to log with HPT, and it is nice to not have extra wires running to my interface cable.
    Here's the file with EGR enabled. Unless the COS completely disables EGR logic and thus this switch as well. I will say that on my OS (12587603), when you apply a COS, the EGR toggle also disappears, but this fix still works and enabled EGR logging.

Let us know how it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's the file with EGR enabled. Unless the COS completely disables EGR logic and thus this switch as well. I will say that on my OS (12587603), when you apply a COS, the EGR toggle also disappears, but this fix still works and enabled EGR logging.

Let us know how it works.
    I did a write calibration only, and upon opening the scanner was rewarded with a .04v phantom voltage showing on EGR instead of an exact 0v. Sure enough, putting voltage to that pcm input now works. Thank you for the help. It saved me a ton of hassle and probably a few credits since I only have a single vehicle license instead of unlimited year. I really did not want to experiment with the other tuning options on this particular pcm since I no longer have my factory .bin file.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gametech View Post
    I did a write calibration only, and upon opening the scanner was rewarded with a .04v phantom voltage showing on EGR instead of an exact 0v. Sure enough, putting voltage to that pcm input now works. Thank you for the help. It saved me a ton of hassle and probably a few credits since I only have a single vehicle license instead of unlimited year. I really did not want to experiment with the other tuning options on this particular pcm since I no longer have my factory .bin file.
    Great, glad it worked. It's very handy indeed for standalone logging or not needing any extra cables and junk in the car. I logged both serial wideband (LC2) and EGR wideband and corrected the EGR equation slightly to account for the voltage offset error and get it a bit more accurate. It was only off by ~0.1 AFR iirc, but still.

In this case I put connectors on 2 wires. Now, when I am logging HPT, I connect to the EGR wire. When I am not, I connect to a input on my Aeroforce scan gauge. After I finalize this next turbo build, I will probably hardwire a switch to flip between the two. The next big question mark with this computer will be later, if I decide to go bigger than my current 60# injectors in order to run flex fuel. It was never on my mind before, but I have recently found two stations that carry e85 nearby. It appears that I have found the necessary segment to swap, but I will not be sure until I try it.