Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Corvette famous spinmonster 230/234 cam surging

Tuner in Training

2010 Corvette famous spinmonster 230/234 cam surging

hi everyone.

i've been driving around trying to tune this cam it surges at light throttle pretty much at any rpm range. can someone see if i'm missing something?

it's currently MAF only. surging happens in closed or open loop.

cam is a 230/234 .600/.615 114 +2
    kooks 1 3/4" long tube headers

maf closed loop v12.hplcorvette cam swap VVE v20 closed loop MAF Only DFCO disabled idle ovr undr adjust v12.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Stock injectors i assume? Couple of things.. Log Volumetric efficiency and put the High rpm re-enable to 0 instead of 8000 under the AIRFLOW-DYNAMIC tab.
    Last edited by LS ROB; 07-03-2023 at 09:28 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Tuner
    Only because I am going through this same scenario I have a couple of suggestions.
    Try to smooth out your high octane timing advance table in the idle areas, same with the idle timing advance table. The goal would be to eliminate big jumps in the tables and from one table to the other. Next half the idle over and under correction tables to sort of dampen the corrective values. Your over correction table is removing what appears to me to be a large amount of timing and does not help with the surge. Good luck.

4th
    @bms_tuned
    GM EFI Tuning

Tuner in Training
    i will log the VE and change the enable point. i did attempt making the timing the same. no change with that.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvinberroa View Post
    4th
    What's the opposite of Impostor Syndrome?

Tuner in Training
    i changed the dynamic airflow value and added two ve airflow pids not sure which are helpful

car is all stock except the cam, headers and cold air intake.

ran beautifully before the cam.

see attached. surging seems to be at any rpm on steady throttle.

maf closed loop v12 ve.hpl
    corvette cam swap VVE v20 closed loop MAF Only DFCO disabled idle ovr undr adjust v12.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Id suggest taking some timing out of the High and low octane tables to start with. Looks like you get spark retard anytime you part throttle or more. Dialing in the VVE and MAF can help with that some. Log Injector pulse width and injector duty cycle as well.
    Last edited by LS ROB; 07-04-2023 at 03:36 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If you are naturally aspirated, you can give this a go if you want. I took 6* from the High octane table then copy/pasted it to the low octane and took out an additional 3* there. That should help with reducing knock. I also changed PE,MAF & VVE settings. If you are not familiar with it, read up on "rich after flash." Basically, you will want to drive around for about 15min. before starting to log data. Once you are satisfied with your tuning, you can open your original tune file as a compare file and copy/paste the timing tables back over.

corvette cam swap VVE v20 closed loop MAF Only DFCO disabled idle ovr undr adjust v12-1.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    If you are naturally aspirated, you can give this a go if you want. I took 6* from the High octane table then copy/pasted it to the low octane and took out an additional 3* there. That should help with reducing knock. I also changed PE,MAF & VVE settings. If you are not familiar with it, read up on "rich after flash." Basically, you will want to drive around for about 15min. before starting to log data. Once you are satisfied with your tuning, you can open your original tune file as a compare file and copy/paste the timing tables back over.

corvette cam swap VVE v20 closed loop MAF Only DFCO disabled idle ovr undr adjust v12-1.hpt
    thanks Rob i'll give it a try, was raining and thundering all day yesterday. i'm going to go over the car as well to rule out mechanical.

Senior Tuner
    I know you said the surging happens in OL too but this looks like the o2's are overly sensitive to me. The swing is too drastic. While driving use the scanner to force it into open loop and see if the problem settles out.

Also VVE tuning is very important. Its hard to tell how close you are on it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I know you said the surging happens in OL too but this looks like the o2's are overly sensitive to me. The swing is too drastic. While driving use the scanner to force it into open loop and see if the problem settles out.

Also VVE tuning is very important. Its hard to tell how close you are on it.
    yes the switching seems fast. i added 20 percent to the integrator delay today. i have no idea what is going on with this thing, it feels almost like it's misfiring at all these rpm's you floor it and it hauls. i'm trying to dial in the MAF. i just cruised around today in 100 degree weather and made no progress at all same surging at various rpms 1500-2300.

i've tuned a hotcam in my 6.0 camaro and didn't have this issue.

do you guys do crank re learns after a cam swap? i have not done this. there are no codes

Tuning Addict
    Give this one a try. Hopefully got enough data from the log to get your VE close.

Are you still running stock injectors? You have some pretty significant timing cuts less than 2000 rpms so tried to address that and your surge both.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Give this one a try. Hopefully got enough data from the log to get your VE close.

Are you still running stock injectors? You have some pretty significant timing cuts less than 2000 rpms so tried to address that and your surge both.
    thanks, i'll give it a try tomorrow. i did perform the crank relearn and took the car out it felt smoother but then started the same thing. wondering if it's a table related to temp doing something.

yes, stock injectors.

Tuner in Training
    Greg, you are the MAN! i may have to enlist your talents further

this thing drove the best it has since i started. i still feel a little of that surge at around ~2100 rpm but i have to really feel for it. i ran open loop and have to adjust the MAF a little bit. i did notice that all my lovely exhaust music is gone letting off the gas and when i shift. is that due to the spark table modifications?

interesting about the drop off in the spark tables. that was from the factory.

i'll update soon once i adjust the MAF.

thanks!

Tuning Addict
    No problem. Glad I could help you out. A lot of people don't realize a lot of thing cause this that all have to be addressed at the same time so not just one thing causes it. With those O2 corrections it should make dialing in your fueling a little easier too as you won't have to chase it around as bad.

Personally I don't like to adjust fueling in open loop. I like to adjust it how the ecm is going to use it. Closed loop for normal everything driving and then open loop for PE and then blend the two if need be. Everybody has their own methods, that's just how I like to do it.

I blended you main and idle spark tables for the timing dips. Just remember to not have the same timing in both as the main timing table will always need to be higher than the idle tables as the main is a limiter for the idle tables.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    i noticed my wideband where it's at it's in the kooks x pipe just before the cat on the pass side. it seems i need the wideband to be around 13.5 if i make the wb 14.0 it's lean i can feel/hear it. i'll dial it in with the o2's to match the wb.

i meant to say. nice signature! you have a couple pieces of nice equipment.

Tuning Addict
    Those were customers cars. I don't own anything that fancy. Just a truck and an old jeep for me

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Those were customers cars. I don't own anything that fancy. Just a truck and an old jeep for me
    ah ok! nice builds either way.

i took your advice for closed loop tuning. when i enable it the car tries to achieve stoich and the LT fuel trims and MAF show ~-10 but my wideband is saying 14.8-15.xx and it stutters i can feel it lean.

do the switch points on the o2 affect that? i guess what i'm trying to do is bring the NB o2's in line where the wideband reads 13.5 or there about.

Tuning Addict
    You probably won't be able to do that with O2 settings alone. Only way I've ever accomplished that was with stoichiometric, O2 and transient tables combined and then you open a different can of worms.

What you're after with the O2's is a good slowish switch where peaks both low and high aren't shifting around that much. A 3 to 4 percent error from a lambda 1 setting is doing good.

~Greg Huggins~