Thread: 17 Silverado Tuning Issues

Potential Tuner

17 Silverado Tuning Issues

Hello Fellow Tuners,
    I would like to apologize as I'm fairly new to the Tuning scene. I have a 2017 Silverado 4.3 4x4 with a 6l80 Trans that I just purchased. It supposedly has a Superchips tune in it. Long story short, engine/trans performance is HORRIBLE. I'm hoping it just a bad tune and therefore easily correctible. I don't have the original tuner, so no way to go back to stock tune and start fresh.
    Behavior Summaries:
    Slow acceleration will advance normal until I hit a spot in the accelerator and it jumps as if I increased throttle greatly for just a second the fall back down.
    During normal driving when I get up to normal cruising speeds, it's like it just jumps through 4-5-6 shifts within 5 seconds and sounds/feels bogged down during cruising.

I am attaching the tune file I pulled and a scan file I pulled for review if anyone has time and can offer any guidance/advice. Like I said, I'm hoping these issues are correctable by tuning and I don't have any underlying mechanical issues.

Thanks in advance,
    Kendal
    2017Silverado4x4.hpl
    2017SilveradoInitial.hpt
    Last edited by kgoodrich; 06-21-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Your driver demand tables (Engine > Torque Management > Driver Demand, Map A, B and C) aren't very smooth. Attached are mine (all three are the same) for a 2015 Camaro V6 - different engine but you can see the rows increase much more gradually, especially between 24 - 28 where I see your throttle rapidly opens up. The description says that either axle torque or engine torque is used, so not sure if your numbers are a lot higher because they're using axle torque; maybe keep them high just in case they're supposed to be that high. This should help with the throttle jumping open. I also have Torque Shaping Enabled, whatever that does exactly (was enabled from factory).

Driver Demand.jpg

Can't help with the transmission as I always use manual mode and haven't messed with the "auto" part of the trans tune. Check out SilverSurfer77 on Youtube for 6L80 how-to's.
    Last edited by KillboyPowerhead; 06-21-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Adjust driver demand to address a sensitive pedal? Wonder what kind of nonsense smokeshow would have to say about doing that?

Yes driver demand needs smoothed out.

Also, those spark tables probably aren't helping matters. Jagged spark will mean jagged torque.

Attached is a 2018 file from the repository for reference (no 2017 available).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Thanks guys for the information. I've been watching SilverSurfer77s videos and they have been awesome so far. Still trying to grasp some of it though. Sirius, thanks for the compare file. I ended up pretty much cloning most of the file into my tune to basically go back stock in the truck to start fresh. Truck runs much smoother, but slow/sluggish like stock. I'm attaching the tune I currently have loaded and a log file from a recent run. Any suggestions/input is appreciated again as to what/where I should be looking to change to get the most performance out of it.

Thanks again guys,
    2017Silverado4x4(AfterBaseLoad).hpl
    2017SilveradoNew.hpt

In power enrichment lower the throttle enable pedal from 89% down to 60%. Then lower the delay RPM from 6,000 down to 1,500rpm. Lower the delay torque to 75%.

Next click the EQ ratio and make the rest of the table from 3,000-redline 1.200.

The transmission can be made better, it's so much to type out though. I can't really say everything I'd do, it would take so long. I can't edit files as I'm using older software. But changes to shift timing and adaptive settings will make that transmission shift quicker and smoother.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    You don't have the base file anymore? Did you copy over Oxygen Sensors settings?

Potential Tuner
    Sirius,
    I still have the original superchips tune. I used the 2018 for from the repo you sent and copied most off the setting over to my tune to try and go back to "stock" and start fresh. Yes I did copy over the oxygen sensor settings from the 2018 to my tune.