Thread: How to tune for a stall converter

How to tune for a stall converter

I have been looking at the posts pertaining to torque converters. I am a complete nu b when it comes to TCC. Was wondering what to change, i kinda understand what you guys are talking about in the threads, but i don' t feel confident enough to do it myself. I am getting a Yank tt3200 and i'm doing a 4l80E swap, so that's the tranny it will be in. If a moderator or somebody that really knows exactly what to change could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 Sierra, 5.3L, K&N, TB Bypass, HP Tuners, FLT 4l80/Yank PT3200/SE Conversion, Dynatech LT's, LS1 Fans, 3:73's, HID's in Headlights/Fogs, 22" Velocity Wheels.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2492197

Tuner in Training
    this would be good information. i've seen the question posted a few times.
    i've been searching and found nothing.

what changes are needed after a stall?
    i've heard where people will usually hit the rev limiter before the shift happens.
    also heard where converter is really loose and requires more pedal effort.

do you just lower the shift rpm til it shifts at the desired spot?
    do you force the converter to lockup at part throttle?
    any error codes that need to be ignored?
    Last edited by BobDoLe; 06-15-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Im thinking about getting a higher stall as well for my truck. Nothing too extreme though, maybe a 2500 - 3000 or so. I still, after all this time, have no idea what to do with my shift points or lockup. Im not sure what difference lockup will have with the stall.

Tuner in Training
    subn

some input would be nice on this subject....cause I'll be tuning my buddy's car and he's putting a vig 3200 in it....

generally you want the lockup to occur at light loads when slip is minimal. eg. you are close to the stall speed. If the TCC has to lock and deal with 2000rpm of slip (ie. the difference between the engine speed and the input shaft speed) at anything more than light loads it will quickly wear. Some stall converters just run the stock TCC others change for better friction materials.

also if you lock the TCC at speeds quite a lot below the stall speed you need to make sure it unlocks under load otherwise, again, it will slip and break.

its also hard not to get surging behavior from the TCC if you are locking below the stall speed because when the TCC locks/unlocks there is no load on the engine. With a 3000 stall you may not be able to get something you are happy with below 40-45mph (depending on gearing). The higher the stall the more likely you will be to just leave the TCC unlocked at all times.

It's also a very good idea not to set the lock/lock points close to common cruising speeds eg. 55, 65 etc. otherwise it will annoy the hell out of you...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    this is great information, I am running a GM performance 3400 stall and trying to find what it can take and get some good advice tuning for it

Advanced Tuner
    Datalog TCC Slip. on most converters you dont want to try and lock it with over 500rpms of slip. SO basically disable TCC Lockup on 40% tps +.
    Then figure out where you can lock it up on less than 40%tps.

Potential Tuner
    i have a question on this same topic.
    i am working tuning my 16 sierra 2800 stall. main goals are drivability and reliability. performance is a bonus.
    this is my first time tuning so ive been learning a lot.
    a friend at work has a 14 camero that he has had a lot of work done on. heads, big cam, stall converter, etc. all done by local performance shop.
    i read his tune, just to see what they were doing with his converter, and it has brought up a question. i am including a snip of his 6th TCC apply/release graph.
    my question is,
    all of the few tunes i have seen have TCC apply slightly higher than release, and all have been same number straight across.
    i am wanting to release my TCC for acceleration in 6th gear.
    is the way this tune is done the correct way of doing this? i was thinking of just maxing out apply speed over about 40%, untill i saw this tune.
    Any advise or better explanation of the hows and whys of apply/release would be appreciated

Screenshot 2023-07-08 090214.png

Advanced Tuner
    Best way to start is to put your info in Blue Cat and use that to build off of.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

I second the use of BlueCat. Works great. The guy who created it posted here a week or so ago and was saying he may be creating a website service where you upload the tune and it immediately tunes the trans and torque model. Stuff that isn't on the current version. Also support for many more transmissions. It would be pretty cool. Hope he gets it off the ground.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I second the use of BlueCat. Works great. The guy who created it posted here a week or so ago and was saying he may be creating a website service where you upload the tune and it immediately tunes the trans and torque model. Stuff that isn't on the current version. Also support for many more transmissions. It would be pretty cool. Hope he gets it off the ground.

Id pay a monthly membership to be able to use that!! I have spreadsheets to converter and transpose stuff to help me.

Potential Tuner
    i used the blue cat program and it did help with shift timing and TCC lockup timing is better.
    BUT it still doesnt unlock the TCC under acceleration, until it downshifts at around 75% throttle
    i dont understand why, is there something i have wrong in the tune? or is this just how they are?
    2016 sierra 5.4 6l80
    tune attatched
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc77 View Post
    i used the blue cat program and it did help with shift timing and TCC lockup timing is better.
    BUT it still doesnt unlock the TCC under acceleration, until it downshifts at around 75% throttle
    i dont understand why, is there something i have wrong in the tune? or is this just how they are?
    2016 sierra 5.4 6l80
    tune attatched
    Did you look thru options and unselect "Always Unlock Before Downshift"?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    i will give it a try.
    the definition that it gives in my version is very different than yours and really doesnt sound like it will do what im looking for.
    to be clear, what im trying to do is get the TCC to unlock when accelerating on the highway, like up a hill to maintain speed. the way it is now, at 60 mph i have to give it quite a bit of throttle to hold speed going up a hill. it lugs the motor running about 1500 rpm at around 60-70% throttle. then it downshifts and unlocks TCC and tach jumps to over 3000.
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 073627.png

Potential Tuner
    so i made the change to "unlock before downshift". i didnt see any change in any of the numbers? or performance.
    what i ended up doing was to change the "lockup config" min RPM table.
    havent done a log yet, but just driving it seems like 5th is now unlocking TCC when accelerating, 6th still seems to be holding.
    and another note, i now also love the blue cat program. trans shifts perfect, lockup is perfect. bow down to blue cat. cant wait to see what else he does!
    any input on if this is right or wrong is appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 141324.png