Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.3/4l65 swap wont shift at WOT

5.3/4l65 swap wont shift at WOT

It shifts well at part throttle and does everything it should but when you stand on it it tags the rev limiter. About 50%tps or so will shift at 6k right before the limiter. I have the limiter set to 6000 and just for testing I have the WOT shift point at 4800. It was at 5800 but I dropped it thinking maybe it just wasn't shifting fast enough.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2001 V6 M5 firebird: drop in K&N, 12bolt with posi and 4.30s, magnaflow muffler, gutted cat.
    9.5 at 73 in the 1/8th on street tires

I might have stumbled upon something If I read speed from the tcm in the scanner it reads correct if i read speed from the pcm it stays at 158mph. so that might have something to do with it.

Attached is a short log just of me backing down the driveway and back in. You can see 1 speed reads right and one doesn't.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2001 V6 M5 firebird: drop in K&N, 12bolt with posi and 4.30s, magnaflow muffler, gutted cat.

Why are you not using the TCM OS that matches the VIN in the ECM?

To clarify why I asked, you have a late ('09-up) 127lb E38 but using an early pre-'09 TCM OS. You should be using a late TCM, there were changes made to the comms protocol between early/late hardware, that's why your ECM isn't seeing the CAN message for the VSS.

also you still need to fix your injector data as mentioned in the other thread

What's wrong with my injector data? Their ls2 injectors and so far seem to be working decent. As far as I can tell. The wideband readings are not dead on command but seem decent. What tables do I have off?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Why are you not using the TCM OS that matches the VIN in the ECM?
    I do have another tcm that I can try. I have no idea what the tcms are out of until I try them. Is their a list somewhere of what os is for what years?

I'm not really an E38 guy I usually tune p01/p58 or holley stuff or a9l/a9p stuff. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this e38/t42 stuff.

There are two basic E38/E67 groups: early, mid-'09 and before with a 63lb injector limit; and late, mid-'09 and after with a 127lb injector limit. When those changed the comms protocol between ECM & TCM also changed. Can't use an early with a late or a late with an early.

You have a late 127lb E38. But your TCM is using OS 24235341 which is for 2006-2007. According to the VIN in your file, the TCM should be OS 24243356.

Your injector data is not. correct. You have a flat Injector Flow Rate table like you'd use with a fuel pressure regulator that has a little vacuum line going to it where fuel pressure is constantly adjusted in relation to manifold pressure. Your Offset vs Press vs IGNV table is sloped (left to right) like you'd use with a 'returnless' system where fuel pressure stays constant no matter what the engine is doing. Having correct injector data is important especially on these torque-based Gen4 systems - tweaks you make to the VVE/MAF to try to paper over the messed-up injector data have downstream effects like making your transmission do weird shit or even burn up.

I can help you get the injector data sorted but I need more than just 'ls2 injectors'. Car LS2 or truck LS2? Do you know the part number? Do you know what type of fuel system you have (returnless or referenced return-style)? Do you know what your actual fuel pressure is at the rail as measured by a mechanical gauge?

Senior Tuner
    It's best just to use matching stuff. So if the ECM came out of a 07 silverado the TCM should also. Just to guarantee no mismatches.

You passenger side O2 sensor looks unplugged btw.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

There are two basic E38/E67 groups: early, mid-'09 and before with a 63lb injector limit; and late, mid-'09 and after with a 127lb injector limit. When those changed the comms protocol between ECM & TCM also changed. Can't use an early with a late or a late with an early.

You have a late 127lb E38. But your TCM is using OS 24235341 which is for 2006-2007. According to the VIN in your file, the TCM should be OS 24243356.

Your injector data is not. correct. You have a flat Injector Flow Rate table like you'd use with a fuel pressure regulator that has a little vacuum line going to it where fuel pressure is constantly adjusted in relation to manifold pressure. Your Offset vs Press vs IGNV table is sloped (left to right) like you'd use with a 'returnless' system where fuel pressure stays constant no matter what the engine is doing. Having correct injector data is important especially on these torque-based Gen4 systems - tweaks you make to the VVE/MAF to try to paper over the messed-up injector data have downstream effects like making your transmission do weird shit or even burn up.

I can help you get the injector data sorted but I need more than just 'ls2 injectors'. Car LS2 or truck LS2? Do you know the part number? Do you know what type of fuel system you have (returnless or referenced return-style)? Do you know what your actual fuel pressure is at the rail as measured by a mechanical gauge?
    I set the fuel injector data flat because I'm running a fixed 58psi fuel pressure with no fuel pressure sensor to the pcm. So fixed pressure should be a fixed flow rate right? Their is an offset for map pressure like on gen3 stuff.

Injector part number 12569113. I'm running a returnless fuel system using a corvette regulator/filter.

As for the tcm I have another TCM that I beleave is a '356 os It was throwing a p0700 code for bad tcm but i was also having other issues at the time too so ill try that one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    It's best just to use matching stuff. So if the ECM came out of a 07 silverado the TCM should also. Just to guarantee no mismatches.

You passenger side O2 sensor looks unplugged btw.
    Yes it is my wideband is in that bung.

So of the 3 TCMs i have here 2 are the 24235341 and 1 is 24255281 would that last one work with my pcm? I plugged it in and both speed signals read 0 so at least that part looks better but I haven't driven the car yet.

Injector flow rate for a returnless system is sloped. Referenced regulator uses a flat table, like you have yours. You've got the logic backwards on how it works.

When fuel pressure stays at one fixed point, and manifold pressure is constantly changing, injector flow rate also constantly changes - this means the table has to reflect how that changing difference in pressure ('Delta') changes the flow rate - more vacuum the injector flows more, less vacuum or = to atmosphere the injector flows less.

But when there's a regulator with a vacuum reference, when manifold pressure rises (less vacuum), then fuel pressure also rises by the same amount, so in that case the difference between injector inlet (rail) and outlet (the tip, in the intake runner) is always the same so injector flow is always the same as well. If pressure adjusts 1:1 with manifold pressure then the Delta never changes, and both tables are 'flat'.

Data taken from 2007 Corvette LS2:
    torque model smooth - LS2 car 12569113-89017586 58psi returnless no FPCM.hpt
    (if you are N/A, and no FPCM so rail pressure is always 58psi, it will not be possible to hit any areas of the injector tables below 408kPa or above 488kPa Delta. The factory files are like that in the early years, too. It's fine.)

----------

On your TCM thing, I guess try it and see what happens? It's almost like you're asking for the right way to do it wrong but still have everything work like it's supposed to. You can try what you've got, or you can put the right OS in it. Your choice.

Senior Tuner
    P0700 does not mean a bad TCM. It means the TCM has seen a problem and is requesting the ECM turn on the MIL. Need to check the codes in the TCM to determine the problem.

I understand flow delta and the "flow multi vs map" should take care of that right? My question is how does the pcm know that the fuel pressure is changing without a sensor? How does it know witch cell to look at to get flow data from? That table from the description only deals with variable fuel pressure and nothing to do with manifold vacuum?

Can hp tuners change the os in the tcm or would I need a dealer tool to do that?

Oh, wait - was this donor vehicle originally a 6L80/T43 thing?

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock500 View Post
    I understand flow delta and the "flow multi vs map" should take care of that right? My question is how does the pcm know that the fuel pressure is changing without a sensor? How does it know witch cell to look at to get flow data from? That table from the description only deals with variable fuel pressure and nothing to do with manifold vacuum?

Can hp tuners change the os in the tcm or would I need a dealer tool to do that?
    The fuel pressure DOESN'T change with a non-referenced, returnless system. But the MANIFOLD PRESSURE does - and it has a MAP sensor that tells it what's in the manifold. So it needs that sloped data to reflect how that changing Delta affects the flow rate & offset.

Have you fked around with the Flow Rate Multi vs MAP table? Shouldn't have, if you did.

Oh, wait - was this donor vehicle originally a 6L80/T43 thing?
    Not sure. The tag on the pcm from a junkyard just says 2009 silverado 4.8 so I'm sure it was a t42 truck

This also has a 4" intake tube with a slot maf so that's another thing I've been fighting. I built the motor and sold it to another shop that did the install. The sell price of the motor included a tune so that's how I got it.