Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tune & Log. Gen VI CBB 1999 Vortec 7400

So do you adjust the numbers till you get close to 0 when the cells populate? And what numbers are you adjusting? If offline instruction is required that's fine with me
    Last edited by oldpartsnrust; 06-23-2023 at 09:50 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Correct get fuel trims within 5% or better. I'm adjusting the VE table.

Ugh speaking of. I didn't transfer the primary ve to secondary. Secondary is used when in SD mode.

Here you go. Use this instead of #3.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ok, tune loaded, trims cleared. Now I need some time to drive it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a good log.
    Last edited by oldpartsnrust; 06-27-2023 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpartsnrust View Post
    ok, tune loaded, trims cleared. Now I need some time to drive it. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a good log.
    Here's log for tune 4! I just put this back together after it spun 4 rod bearings so I am terrified to wring it out just yet. I did get it to over 5000 though.
    4th-log.hpl
    Last edited by oldpartsnrust; 06-28-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Right. Keep an eye on the oil pressure.

It'd be nice to get the upper RPM range. What are you looking at for redline? Cutoff is set to 5350. WOT shifts 5250.

Hoping this should be the last one for SD portion.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    Right. Keep an eye on the oil pressure.

It'd be nice to get the upper RPM range. What are you looking at for redline? Cutoff is set to 5350. WOT shifts 5250.

Hoping this should be the last one for SD portion.
    I am changing the oil tonight too and will be taking this on a bit longer drive tomorrow afternoon... Probably 60 miles or so. That may give another good log. I think I originally had it so it WOT shifted at 5000 / cutoff at 5000. My tach reads a little high and I was buggin when I saw it swing past 5200 (on the tach)! It seemed to get legs at 4500 and up! NOPE, I'm chicken. Just want to tow reliably not drag.

Senior Tuner
    Alright I backed it down to WOT shift 5000. Cutoff 5100.

Buggin xD

I know it's a touchy subject for a lot of people, but I recommend either Quaker State 5w-30 Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro FS. ACDelco or Mobil 1 filter. Those two oils are the best on the shelf at Walmart by far. Unless you're running Amsoil then nvm.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-28-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Alright I backed it down to WOT shift 5000. Cutoff 5100.

Buggin xD

I know it's a touchy subject for a lot of people, but I recommend either Quaker State 5w-30 Full Synthetic or Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro FS. ACDelco or Mobil 1 filter. Those two oils are the best on the shelf at Walmart by far. Unless you're running Amsoil then nvm.
    The guy who did the machine work had me get extra clearance bearings and running Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil. When it first starts the oil pressure is about 60+ PSI at idle and gradually creeps down to about 20 PSI (maybe 18) when fully warm, HOT idling in gear with the AC on. As soon as I goose the throttle it jumps to like 50 PSI. That WOT 5200 seemed to be about 50 or 60 PSI of pressure. I am still in the dino oil break-in phase and that was the second oil change and it had some of the ultra fine grey metal coloring to it still.... Everything sounds OK so far, but the roller rockers are a little noisy. I got some extra valve covers which I am going to cut off the top above the adjustment nuts and do a running valve adjustment to see if I can quiet them down some. I drove it to the machine shop guy to see if the noise level was concerning and he mentioned it may be the injectors as well as the roller rockers adding to the overall noise level. He also said "ain't nothing in there gonna chew anything up, RUN IT." so that was good to hear! Hope to get a long log today as I got some running around to do. Thanks!

The guy who did the machine work had me get extra clearance bearings and running Rotella 15w-40 diesel oil. When it first starts the oil pressure is about 60+ PSI at idle and gradually creeps down to about 20 PSI (maybe 18) when fully warm, HOT idling in gear with the AC on. As soon as I goose the throttle it jumps to like 50 PSI. That WOT 5200 seemed to be about 50 or 60 PSI of pressure. I am still in the dino oil break-in phase and that was the second oil change and it had some of the ultra fine grey metal coloring to it still.... Everything sounds OK so far, but the roller rockers are a little noisy. I got some extra valve covers which I am going to cut off the top above the adjustment nuts and do a running valve adjustment to see if I can quiet them down some. I drove it to the machine shop guy to see if the noise level was concerning and he mentioned it may be the injectors as well as the roller rockers adding to the overall noise level. He also said "ain't nothing in there gonna chew anything up, RUN IT." so that was good to hear! Hope to get a long log today as I got some running around to do. Thanks!
    ok, log... is there any sign of knock? I calculated the compression at 9.5:1 during machining and parts selection. I run 92 octane or better to try to avoid it.

5th-log.hpl
    Last edited by oldpartsnrust; 06-29-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Power just came back after a big storm. Went out last Thursday.

Run this tune. You'll have to start logging Mass Airflow Sensor [Hz] in order to continue.

Oh yeah, buy a can of MAF cleaner and use it. Don't want airflow calcs based on a dirty sensor.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 07-04-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Power just came back after a big storm. Went out last Thursday.

Run this tune. You'll have to start logging Mass Airflow Sensor [Hz] in order to continue.

Oh yeah, buy a can of MAF cleaner and use it. Don't want airflow calcs based on a dirty sensor.
    Wow, glad you got your power back. Hope it was just an inconvenience rather than losing food, pets, etc.. Will do. One summer we lost power and I lost a whole tank of large cold water fish as we had no A/C.

Wow, glad you got your power back. Hope it was just an inconvenience rather than losing food, pets, etc.. Will do. One summer we lost power and I lost a whole tank of large cold water fish as we had no A/C.
    I added the MAF Hz to the logging and hope to get a log tomorrow. I ordered cleaner but it won't be here for a couple days. The sensor is pretty new as it is so I don't think it will be a bad log.

Senior Tuner
    Alright cool. Looking forward to it.

I was thinking of taking this in for inspection so I can be gathering logs legally. Will this last tune be clean enough for a "safety test drive"? Or can I get one that will just drive normally for the safety technician? Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Should be good enough for inspection. If you get a CEL it's likely fuel-trim related due to the MAF not being tuned all the way. Don't know how close your MAF is yet.

Great, thanks. I didn't get a chance to do a log today, but should tomorrow.

Great, thanks. I didn't get a chance to do a log today, but should tomorrow.
    I got a little bit of a log today. Let me know if this works?

Senior Tuner
    Ok here's the tune to log.

One big thing to keep in mind is to keep it under 90% throttle. Shoot for 75%. Have to keep it out of PE. You can still run up the RPM's like I need if you lock it into 1st or 2nd gear.

These logs don't have to take as much time as when doing the VE tables. The MAF curve is a lot simpler than the VE table. You can cut the drive down to about 5 minutes if you want. Still have to cover a broad range, though.

Btw looks like I skipped tune 6 in the numbering order. Oh well.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 07-08-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Ok here's the tune to log.

One big thing to keep in mind is to keep it under 90% throttle. Shoot for 75%. Have to keep it out of PE. You can still run up the RPM's like I need if you lock it into 1st or 2nd gear.

These logs don't have to take as much time as when doing the VE tables. The MAF curve is a lot simpler than the VE table. You can cut the drive down to about 5 minutes if you want. Still have to cover a broad range, though.

Btw looks like I skipped tune 6 in the numbering order. Oh well.
    I think the 5 with the 5000 RPM cutoff is technically the 6th? It won't stay in 1st gear even with the selector in 1st., but it stays in 2nd pretty good. Towards the latter half of the log I got up near 4K RPM at like 50% throttle. I did notice a slight hesitation / stumble at like 5-10% throttle until like 1000 RPM. Not a big deal, but don't know if it is significant.
    Thanks!

8th-log.hpl

Senior Tuner
    That hesitation is because it was running too rich. You did a good job getting this log because the upper section of the MAF curve is what I needed, hence my request to not go full pedal. That section is where the hesitation occurred.

You're making this a nice tuning experience. Thank you.

Here's 9. Getting pretty close and about done.