Thread: Supercharged Gen3 Mustang - No Crank (Bad Injector Data?)

Tuner in Training

Supercharged Gen3 Mustang - No Crank (Bad Injector Data?)

I don't mess around too much with the gen3 when it comes to power adders much any more since I can't for the life of me manage to get these things to hardly even run, but one of my buddies has been wanting me to do his car for a while and I caved since it looked to be a fairly straight forward setup.

Mods:
    VMP Odin
    56 LB Injectors
    VMP Twin 69mm Throttle Body
    VMP Odin CAI
    Long Tubes

He told me its pretty much an off the shelf kit and he hasn't done anything else to the car. Fuel system is still stock and the car is running on 93 octane. Sourced the throttle body data from a thread here and sourced the injector data from a stock 13 gt500 read that I messed around with a while back. After I loaded that in and only got the car to fire off just to immediately cut back off, I assumed the injector data must not have been good, so I tried using the data that Ford provides for the injectors. Still only seeing the car fire off and cut back off and stuck here trying to figure out if there is something I am overlooking. I had another buddy shoot me over his tune for his whipple 18 mustang to try to compare and see if anything was way different, but I haven't spotted anything that immediately jumps out to me. Attached is the tune file I currently have in the car and unfortunately I can't attached a log due to it not running for long enough to capture any data.

Can anybody see anything in the file that just immediately jumps out to them as off that might be holding me back from at least getting this thing to crank up long enough to log it?

Tune 3.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Min PW should be .73 ms.
    Your idle throttle angle is still stock and should have been adjusted with the throttle body model. I'll attach that at the bottom.

You have a mix match between IMRC open/closed and the Mapped points that are enabled in your VCT Tab. You set the IMRC to 100% open, then set every other MP to Open, 0, 2, 4, etc. In your VC tab you're running MP 14-26 + mapped point 12 with custom cam angles set in your disabled, MP 0-14. VCT will not run desired.
    I'd run 14+, but not all of them. I do not want to edit groups of 14 tables over and over, Borderline, MBT, Torque/Inverse, etc. I'd narrow that down to 6 to 8 mapped points using the best, most efficient cam angles that would benefit normal driving, fuel economy and have a good transition into WOT cam angles. I know whipple has (or had in the past) a bad airflow model so the torque, load, fuel are off/

There are a lot more things that stick out to me, but it's not your starting file. I'd only be changing tables I had knowledge about. It's not helpful to you if you don't know why the tables were changed to begin with.

Tune 3 - ETC Idle Throttle Angle.hpt

Edit - and enable cylair anticipation. THis should fix your no start.

Edit again - You have two tables that you zeroed all the way out with a description of - The IPC can be reconfigured to report failures in different ways. A value of 0 will prevent reporting. This table is extremely high risk to modify, please do so at your own risk.
    Last edited by Thatwhite5.0; 06-19-2023 at 02:55 AM.

IMRC and MP config as mentioned, this can cause no start condition in many different ways.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    Min PW should be .73 ms.
    Your idle throttle angle is still stock and should have been adjusted with the throttle body model. I'll attach that at the bottom.

You have a mix match between IMRC open/closed and the Mapped points that are enabled in your VCT Tab. You set the IMRC to 100% open, then set every other MP to Open, 0, 2, 4, etc. In your VC tab you're running MP 14-26 + mapped point 12 with custom cam angles set in your disabled, MP 0-14. VCT will not run desired.
    I'd run 14+, but not all of them. I do not want to edit groups of 14 tables over and over, Borderline, MBT, Torque/Inverse, etc. I'd narrow that down to 6 to 8 mapped points using the best, most efficient cam angles that would benefit normal driving, fuel economy and have a good transition into WOT cam angles. I know whipple has (or had in the past) a bad airflow model so the torque, load, fuel are off/

There are a lot more things that stick out to me, but it's not your starting file. I'd only be changing tables I had knowledge about. It's not helpful to you if you don't know why the tables were changed to begin with.

Tune 3 - ETC Idle Throttle Angle.hpt

Edit - and enable cylair anticipation. THis should fix your no start.

Edit again - You have two tables that you zeroed all the way out with a description of - The IPC can be reconfigured to report failures in different ways. A value of 0 will prevent reporting. This table is extremely high risk to modify, please do so at your own risk.
    I could have sworn I had set the min PW to .73, it must not have saved. The mapped points definitely need to go back in and fix that, I just realized I copied over the VCT settings from the whipple cal but never changed the imrc settings. I must have clicked off the Cylair anticipation and not even realized it. As for the IPC, I?ll have to see what you?re talking about once I get back to my computer after I get off work. Appreciate all the information, I?ll try to make those changes and update later on today!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    IMRC and MP config as mentioned, this can cause no start condition in many different ways.
    Hadn?t even crossed my mind that I had my imrc settings from my original tune I was working on prior to starting to compare with the whipple tune and the VCT settings from the whipple tune. Going to fix that as soon as I can get back to my computer as soon as I get off work and after a few good facepalms

Tuner in Training
    Update

All the changes laid out fixed the issue, I have the MAF dialed in now and I've started working on getting the transmission to act right now. Seeing a decent bit of IPC wheel torque error at certain points, getting picked up on my histogram but not seeing it in the channels list saying anything outside of zero. checked the see if i was having any issues with throttle angle error and everything is pretty much spot on. Going to do some more driving to see if i can get a little more data loaded into a log

Tuner in Training
    Finally got a decent log of it acting up, something is causing the throttle to close and then blip open and close again. Double checked the throttle body data and also logged it for any angle error, not seeing anything from that. Tried getting any direction from the sources and nothing really sticks out to me. The only thing that has stuck out to me is the difference between the accelerator pedal position and the throttle position. Air load keeps fluctuating significantly with the throttle opening and closing whic you will see roughly 2 minutes and 50 seconds into the log until the end of the log.

Tune 6.hpt

23-06-21 20-04-51.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Watching it slowly in playback some more, it looks like I might be exceeding my torque request if I'm looking at it correctly. Going to try to increase those areas and retest.