Thread: Can hp tuners program a new t42 tcm?

Can hp tuners program a new t42 tcm?

As the title says can hp tuners program a new TCM for work with the car? The tcms say they need to be programed to work I have the file off of the old tcm so can I just "write entire" and be good to go?
    2001 V6 M5 firebird: drop in K&N, 12bolt with posi and 4.30s, magnaflow muffler, gutted cat.
    9.5 at 73 in the 1/8th on street tires

No. Needs to be SPS/TechlineConnect programmed then you can modify the programming with HPTuners.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    No. Needs to be SPS/TechlineConnect programmed then you can modify the programming with HPTuners.
    Can you say that for sure? Have you tried to with HP Tuners?

OP try it. What do you have to lose. I program "new" right out of the AC Delco box T43s all the time. I haven't tried a "new T42" but over write used T42s all the time with write entire.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Can you say that for sure? Have you tried to with HP Tuners?

OP try it. What do you have to lose. I program "new" right out of the AC Delco box T43s all the time. I haven't tried a "new T42" but over write used T42s all the time with write entire.
    New modules that I have purchased had zero programming in them and when I tried a year or so ago when my SPS was down for a day it wouldn't. Given that was an older version of HPtuners and I have not tried with any of the newer version.
    He said "New" so I figured it wasn't a used or rebuild.
    I only tried the one time as from that point on I just use my SPS/TechlineConnect.

Who buys a new T42 when you can get good used ones for $10-15?

I've had MANY customers who are fixated on dealership only parts. Modules I get from there are a mix of rebuilds with software and VIN's programmed on them to full on totally blank brand new modules.

OK, let me rephrase: Who, working on their own car and without access to the dealership tools, buys a new $150 T42 when you can get good used ones for $10-15?

I agree with you completely.

Tuner in Training
    See my above posted success with a T43 Write Entire
    Good luck
    Roy

T43 is not a T42, and a module that's been programmed with *anything* before is not the same as a new one that's never been initialized.

Senior Tuner
    I've successfully been able to write entire T42 and T43. I won't guarantee you won't have problems but I've done it more than a few times with no issues.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs