Thread: 2008 LS 6.2 limp mode while in gear full throttle

Potential Tuner

2008 LS 6.2 limp mode while in gear full throttle

I have a 2008 6.2 from a escalade in my 2005 jeep rock crawler, every time that I need to go WOT to get over a obstacle my engine goes into limp mode. the PCM was tuned before I got the vehicle and just got the MVPi3 today and am very green so any help and direction is greatly appreciated .
    I have attached the first VCM editor file read that I did today. I'm willing to follow and and all direction to provide information to help figure this out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Are you getting any dtc codes? Need to post a log.

Need to know if it’s throwing a code, my guess is 606 or 1514

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    No codes that I can tell. I just set the MIL to 1 error on all parameters that were set to 2 errors. I will try to get a log tomorrow, when I tried today the program crashed. Should I try to replicate the problem while logging?

'No codes that I can tell' means you checked and it has no codes? Or you haven't seen any reason to check?

Pedal and throttle body are all from the 2008 Escalade?

Potential Tuner
    I checked and no codes were found,
    Yes I believe pedal and Throttle body are orignal to the 08 Escalade

I didn't think it was possible to get 'limp mode' (reduced engine power) without whatever caused it also setting the associated code. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Potential Tuner
    Ikr, that's what's so puzzling here. Engine runs outstanding otherwise. Just when I blip the throttle pedal hard to "bump" the jeep over an obstacle. I'll try to get a data log today.

Senior Tuner
    Seriously. A log?

Senior Tuner
    Maybe a code turned off in the tune that is still getting checked but not recorded/displayed?

Oh, and just a note: If you're looking for solutions for E38 problems here in the Gen 3 forum, you're likely to end up mighty confused.

Potential Tuner
    That could very possibly be, I'll go and turn all the no light settings to 1 error

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Oh, and just a note: If you're looking for solutions for E38 problems here in the Gen 3 forum, you're likely to end up mighty confused.
    Omg you're right, thank you!

Can Admin move this to the Gen 4 section?

Quote Originally Posted by TjTodd View Post
    That could very possibly be, I'll go and turn all the no light settings to 1 error
    I wouldn't do that. Especially without knowing how each and every code works and why it needs to work that way, and knowing what you want it to do different. Please don't change things at random trying to fix something.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I wouldn't do that. Especially without knowing how each and every code works and why it needs to work that way, and knowing what you want it to do different. Please don't change things at random trying to fix something.
    Lol OK thanks, just to be clear I wasn't going to turn on any codes that were turned off or enable any that were disabled just change it from no light to first error so it would show a code if that's what was preventing it from popping up when it goes to limp mode

Senior Tuner
    Be aware that you need to check it for codes while it's in "limp mode"

If your checking it while its running normally you won't find it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

There are no significant differences in the tune file from stock. If you indeed do have a correct APP and correct TB that matches the ECM/OS, then you should start thinking about looking for hardware or wiring problems.

Potential Tuner
    Uploaded the HPL file. I'm getting MIL codes now that I wasn't getting with another scanner. Looks like the problem is the throttle body, and possibly the pedal
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Since this is a swap.. check wiring carefully first. These throttle bodies do go bad occasionally.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs