Thread: Drivability with tune

Potential Tuner

Drivability with tune

So I swapped the cam in my jeep. Motor is a 2002 5.3, .030 over, flat top pistons, 243 heads, truck intake w/cable tb. It had a ss2 cam in it that pulled and replaced with a stock 05 6.0 cam. Might seem weird to do but the stock cam is better suited to the jeeps real world use. I've spent some time over the last couple of days playing with the tune to no avail. I plan on driving the jeep tommorrow so I'm asking if it looks safe to drive in it's current state without any bad things happening. I drove it into town to the gas station so i could log some info. Please take a look and let me know if I need to address anything before a prolonged driving event.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Nothing stands out in the log.

Your observation about the cam is not weird. Just about all these really popular "truck" cams are for the sound. Where they make more power is typically higher than say 4400 RPM.. and before 3000 RPM they usually make less power. A good truck cam will not sound exciting like the popular truck cams out now.

Its like picking an exciting date vs a good wife.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Ok, good.

I give a lot of credit to Richard Holdener's youtube channel. All the cam testing he does is great. Since the jeep lives below 3000rpms the ss2 cam was a loss where i need the power to be in normal driving and even more so when I'm offroad and hardly ever see 2000rpms. I plan on trying to clean it up more next week but I'm just tired of messing with it right now.

Thanks