Thread: 2004 gto ls1 auto tuning? speed limiter?

Tuner in Training

2004 gto ls1 auto tuning? speed limiter?

Hi a friend has an 04 gto auto 3600 stahl, 232 cam, longtubes tuned at a local shop.

Is anyone familiar with GTO's and tuning? Is there a speed limiter? There cluster reads "max speed 130mph" on the odometer at times. You can adjust it downward to 25 mph. But is this the speed limiter or is there a different governor or speed limiter?

Ive only gone 80mph in the car so never got to see if it would go passed 130mph.

Whats a 2004 gto auto stock speed limiter set at and how can you change it or raise it under what parameters in tune file? Have a screen shot and is this thing in video simply a beep alert for certain mph reached and keep climbing or speed limiter?

Watch this youtube video

https://youtu.be/vIhMhtSNcBw
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Raise the speed limiter for a "friend" to do what exactly? Be stupid on public roads? And you've never taken a cammed GTO above 80mph. Uh huh. Before you try to bs some more it's not because you need it for the track. No way that'll trap anywhere close to that speed.

It's super simple to figure out btw. However, if you're too dumb to do it on your own then you're too dumb to share the highway with families.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinRaney View Post
    Hi a friend has an 04 gto auto 3600 stahl, 232 cam, longtubes tuned at a local shop.

Is anyone familiar with GTO's and tuning? Is there a speed limiter? There cluster reads "max speed 130mph" on the odometer at times. You can adjust it downward to 25 mph. But is this the speed limiter or is there a different governor or speed limiter?

Ive only gone 80mph in the car so never got to see if it would go passed 130mph.

Whats a 2004 gto auto stock speed limiter set at and how can you change it or raise it under what parameters in tune file? Have a screen shot and is this thing in video simply a beep alert for certain mph reached and keep climbing or speed limiter?

Watch this youtube video

https://youtu.be/vIhMhtSNcBw

That is just a warning you can setup in the gauge cluster. It isn't the real speed limiter
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Its not mine i had that 99 corvette auto stock stahl, elgin 1839 cam, tsp headers dynotune 349whp 351wtq. I had some other posts about vats fuel cut for c5 raise from 2mph to 200mph and governor was raised to 250mph. Im justin raney 33 year old male had 98 z28 custom turbo kit i made in 2011.
    My credit is still good here

I was asking for my friend hes kind of stupid with cars or sometimes destroys them. He said his gto cam headers tune said maximum speed of 130 what he thought it meant and also tried to tell me he set it at 20-25mph and it started dying vs just an alert and driving thru it. Some times hes really instigating for 100 to say the least.

Hey alvin i was going to get a mail order tune but got a local tune at lsx performance 360 dynotune on the 99 corvette auto stock stahl, 3.15 gear, elgin 1839 cam, tsp headers. Made 349whp 351wtq on a dynojet 248. I feel number right cam is medium no ud pulley and auto.

Disregard the gto comment was asking for someone else.

I had a 6-9lb custom s475 kit in 2011 i made for my 98 z28 and did cam headers c5 recently tuned last year may have mentioned it

I think i can make my own gto do a 130 trap i got a 131mph in my 98 z28.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 06-01-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Its just a speed alert button someone told me the 2004 auto had a set governor of 145mph speed limiter.

Does anyone know in hptuners or any other way to raise the speed limiter need it to do the 160 or 180mph whatever the cluster reads.

Have a photocopy of this in hp tuners so i can see where its located for 2004 gto auto.

\Is there a handheld tuner that works on all vehicles diablo tuner to change speed limiter? or diablo tuners specifically made or pretuned for certain vehicles.

Senior Tuner
    Nope. You're dangerous to yourself and others. Factory ratings limits are there for a reason. It's not there for legality otherwise it wouldn't be in much excess of national max speed limits. Do you have any idea what happens at 160?

Things that'll get you killed:

- Has the driveshaft been upgraded to a 1-piece? Did you know that the 2-piece driveshaft will fly apart if it's spun too fast?
    - Do you have a driveshaft loop installed?
    - Have you verified the condition of the rubber on the driveshaft damper?
    - Are the u-joints in good shape?
    - Carrier bearing good?
    - Inspected for any rust on the brake lines or pinched lines?
    - Have you flushed the brake fluid?
    - Have the flexible brake line hoses at the calipers and axle been replaced?
    - When was the last time brake grease was applied to the slider pins and pads?
    - No ABS light?
    - Do you even bother to verify correct tire pressure?
    - Are the tires rated for that speed, given the weight of the vehicle?
    - Any signs of dry rot?
    - Have the tires been patched?
    - Inner and outer tie rods replaced with Moog problem solvers?
    - Has the car been lowered to reduce aerodynamic lift under the car? If so then has the pinion angle been corrected?
    - Upgraded shocks and springs?
    - etc etc.

I highly doubt you care about any of that. Quit being a fuck. Stay off the roads with your nonsense.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-03-2023 at 02:03 AM.