Thread: 6.0 BFD monster chop cam need tuning help

6.0 BFD monster chop cam need tuning help

new to the forum, my name is William. i own a 99 Trans Am just did a 6.0/4l80e swap with the BFD6.0 cam kit... does anyone have a speed density tune thats decent? I understand that not every build is the same and adjustments would have to be made to the tune of course.

I have a AEM wideband connected via PROlink+, HPtuners newest VCM and Editor programs. i have the SPEED DENSITY (RTT) OS flashed onto the PCM .... I turned off CL, ST and LTFT.s, i've also set the maf codes to (NO SES)(Mil on 1st error). i set the fuel FLOW Rate vs KPA to the corresponding 30#vette injectors installed (42lb ls3's on the way though)

the car can now idle decently in Park and in Gear (still needs some work) .... can free rev the car without it stumbling as it did in the beginning however when i put it in gear and give it some throttle it still will stumble... I haven't been able to take it around the block yet as i have a few transmission DTC codes triggered.. probably need to change out the solenoids in the transmission or something... not too conerned with that at this moment.. just need it to run better than it does right now.
    2002 firebird ws6 auto trans&transdiag engine segment swapped bluecat tuned SD VE table changes .hpt
    2002 firebird ws6 auto ASFOUND.hpt
    ive added the asfound tune(without segment swap) and the current tune file i have flashed to the PCM

tried the 5.7 ls1 map no success,tried the 2004 6.0 GTO map... no success, tried the 2002 6.0 silverado map no success of course the 30# injector data was used for these attempts as i know all 3 of hose engines use different injectors.

hopefully someone can assist me in getting it right.

my engine/transmission setup
    Gen 3 lq4 with flat top pistons and 243 heads (CR 11:1ish)
    headstuds, gen 4 rods w/ARP rod bolts
    melling HV oil pump
    TSP bfd6.0 cam .629int/.600exh 233/240 108lsa with .660 Dual valvespring kit, titanium retainers, hardened pushrods
    1-3/4" headers , 3" ORY pipe 3" SLP Loudmouth 1 axleback exhaust
    Profesional Products Power Plus Intake manifold
    92mm TB DBC
    30# corvette injectors

4l80 / stock stall (for now)

3.23 posi rearend

Senior Tuner
    Not aware of any Vette that used 30# injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Not aware of any Vette that used 30# injectors.
    the injectors i have installed are 30# EV1 injectors from 2004 5.7 LS1 Corvette part number 12561462
    based on this guide https://www.wiringspecialties.com/ls...ication-guide/ they are the same 30# injectors that the ls6 engine uses
    i knew they were different than the original 99 ls1 injectors based on the part number "12482704" being 27.3 or rather (28lb @58psi) so i did some research in the repository and i found a 2004 vette and the 2004 GTO share teh same 30# injector flow rate tables..... this is where i got my data from...

I'm fairly new to tuning using HPTuners i have some experience using Megasquirt 1 and 2 as well as some Honda CobraRTP tuning, Honda Tuning suite...... so i do understand a good deal of this however i don't know everything and am always willing to learn and admit if i'm wrong.
    I do my own engine building, mechanic work and electrical mods etc.. I try to keep my skill set widespread as its always good to know a little about everything...

ultimately i plan to have it dyno tuned but i want to make sure i have most of the bugs worked out to cut down on dyno time and possibly save some headaches, extra costs ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chobeeboy View Post
    30# injectors
    probbaly going to need 50#rs to not run out of fuel.
    my 5.3 would be almost 100% on 30#rs...

Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    probbaly going to need 50#rs to not run out of fuel.
    my 5.3 would be almost 100% on 30#rs...
    already have a set of 42lb ls3 injectors on the way for now till i eventually go boost... From what ive read this cam needs a lot of fueling... probably should've went with 60s i guess but it is what it is for now.

Wow, you got all the injector tables from the '04 Vette! You get a gold star.

Senior Tuner
    Yea well they are not 30s. Close but not 30s. And even smaller if you look how the GM Calibration engineers set them up in 01-02 F-bodies. Same injectors. Completely different data. Still waiting for the injector police here to explain that.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Wow, you got all the injector tables from the '04 Vette! You get a gold star.
    Well what injector data should I have used since I know for a fact they came out of a 2004 vette? Given the part number coincides with any data that I've found... what do you suggest?

No, for once I wasn't being a smartass. Most (new) people change just the flow rate and think they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Yea well they are not 30s. Close but not 30s. And even smaller if you look how the GM Calibration engineers set them up in 01-02 F-bodies. Same injectors. Completely different data. Still waiting for the injector police here to explain that.
    The tables suggest 29.1LB so th3y call them 30s as for the 28lb injectors the data in the tables suggest 27.3 or something like that and they are considered 28lb ... idk where the logic of rounding the flow rates up comes from but that's what I've seen..

No, for once I wasn't being a smartass. Most (new) people change just the flow rate and think they're done.
    I figured you were... lol I do know it's not just the flow rate.. I also understand that when tuning... there are many factors in play.. im using gen 3... I know the gen 4 and 5 are a bit more complex.

Since I guess the jackass has labeled me the 'Injector Police' -

For one thing, 2002 F-body and 2004 Corvette have different fuel pressure specs, if the GM service manuals are to be believed. And probably other things different, too. RTMFM.

Use all of one or all of the other, then tune, and it will be fine. I guess some people think since the data is different from year to year and application to application that injector data is all one great big scam. Who knows or cares at this point.

I'd wear the shit out of an INJECTOR POLICE t-shirt. Want.

I'd wear the shit out of an INJECTOR POLICE t-shirt. Want.
    Lmao �� �� ��

Senior Tuner
    Yep the jackass hat has been tuning this shit long before you ever thought about doing it. And FP would only effent the IFR, not all the other data that is different for THE SAME INJECTORS.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 05-24-2023 at 08:48 PM.

+bump for some advice or previous experience with this cam/engine combo