Thread: Translating a Gen3 Tune into a Gen4

Question Translating a Gen3 Tune into a Gen4

I've got a gen3 5.3L V8 out of a 1999 Silverado and its P01 ECU.
    I am going to stick that into a 2011 Suburban and use its E38 to control the gen3 motor.

Working in HPTuners, I am trying to get all the important data from the gen3 tune and modify the E38 tune file, for a starting point, before cranking it.
    1. I can't make heads or tails out of what injector data I stick where. Any guidance on what values to change would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Also can't make heads or tails out of the values in the VVE table and how they compare to the gen3 VE table values. What value equals 100%? What value equals 100% for the gen3 motor? Is it close enough to start tuning as is?
    3. What else do I need to make sure I get changed in order to crank this up? I have DoD disabled, and went through the compare log and changed what made sense.

I appreciate the help gents. I know this looks lazy, but I have spend the last couple hours searching for what I need and am falling on my face finding anything.
    Thanks in advance.
    2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 6.2L L86, 6L80e - AFM disabled

Tuning Addict
    You running a crank signal converter?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    There is no converter to run a Gen 3 motor with a Gen 4 ECM. There is only a converter to run a Gen 4 motor with a Gen 3 PCM.

Senior Tuner
    OP save yourself a lot of headaches and get another Gen 4 motor. They say anything is possible with enough money but the amount of things you would have to change to make work what you are trying to do is just not worth it.

Also to add to that, using the GEN 4 injectors would make your life a hell of a lot easier than trying to use the GEN 3 stuff.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    There is no converter to run a Gen 3 motor with a Gen 4 ECM. There is only a converter to run a Gen 4 motor with a Gen 3 PCM.
    You are correct. I forgot. That basically means the OP would have to install the crank, cam sprocket and knock sensors for a gen 4 into the gen 3 block. That's doable, but might as well just get the gen4 motor by that point...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Full disclosure, this is not my project. I am just helping out with the tune.
    This project is full speed ahead on the swap. The "get a gen4 instead" advice has been passed along, but this plan is going forward.
    The reluctor is being swapped over, along with the cam gear. Knock sensors too.
    Appreciate the honest advice.

So swapping the injectors is easier than tuning the gen3 injectors?
    Interesting thought. Would it make sense to swap fuel rails as well?
    How hard is tuning the E38 for the gen3 injectors?
    I guess I can always "bake it in" to the airflow models.

I am really trying to do things as properly as possible and maybe even learn something in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkedOut View Post
    How hard is tuning the E38 for the gen3 injectors?
    I guess I can always "bake it in" to the airflow models.
    Flow rate you can get away with that, since flow rate is linear. But the Offset stuff is decidedly not linear. It's not so simple there, and the smaller the pulsewidth the more errors in the data will cause it to act up.

Why not bolt on the entire Gen 4 intake/rails/injectors and everything? You'd have to use the Gen 4 throttle body anyway so why not use the intake that fits it without an adapter?

good stuff. I don't have an answer to that. I think that's the plan at the moment.

Confirmed.
    The plan is to use the gen4 intake, rails, injectors and throttle body.
    The gen4 will also donate its reluctor, cam gear and knock sensors.

I'm still looking through the tunes to see what I may be missing.
    I'll report back with the complete list of stuff I've changed.
    I'm just trying to make sure it doesn't blow up on first crank.

really appreciate the advice shared so far. thank you.

Potential Tuner
    Hope this thread is not to old for this but I believe you would either need a 3 hole 4x cam gear as well unless you are going to reuse the gen 4 cam and gear