Thread: New tuner Questions on dialing in maf

Tuner in Training

New tuner Questions on dialing in maf

I've decided to try and join this millennium and delve into the ls platform. After spending a week trying to get close I purchased a tune. on my first drive logging the maf seems to be very rich. I don't have a wideband so I'm attempting to sort it out per EC Tunes instructions in the sticky above. Best I can understand i need to copy my graph and past it to my maf multiplying by %. and do this a few times until I get the rich numbers down. I would appreciate any input I could get to if I'm heading in the right direction......I already miss my screwdriver and timing light.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Goldy; 05-12-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    I've decided to try and join this millennium and delve into the ls platform. After spending a week trying to get close I purchased a tune. on my first drive logging the maf seems to be very rich. I don't have a wideband so I'm attempting to sort it out per EC Tunes instructions in the sticky above. Best I can understand i need to copy my graph and past it to my maf multiplying by %. and do this a few times until I get the rich numbers down. I would appreciate any input I could get to if I'm heading in the right direction......I already miss my screwdriver and timing light.
    whoever set this tune up left it in speed density, if you look under engine diag, airflow, maf fail high is set to 0 hz. this means pretty much immediately after you hit the key, the maf is failed and it reverts to the ve table. also, the long term fuel trims that you are supposed to use to make fueling trims is disabled. my suggestion would be to turn ltft back on and use those to tune the ve table first since its currently only using that table.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Sir, Ill study up on VE tuning and start with that. No wonder i could'nt get anything done on MAF

Tuner in Training
    Thank you Sir, Ill study up on VE tuning and start with that. No wonder i could'nt get anything done on MAF
    Your LTFT will make tuning part throttle VE easier, so re-enable them. It's already in speed density mode so just grab a good log, make a graph of LTFT+STFT with the same axes as your VE table and use the percent error (paste special>multiply by percent) to edit the VE, then reset fuel trims and grab another log until part throttle pretty well dialed in. Once you get there, you can re-enable MAF, disable VE (for the most part) and use LTFT+STFT to dial in part throttle MAF.
    You might notice I mentioned part throttle a few times, and this is pretty important. You need a wideband to tune WOT (wide open throttle) because stock narrowband sensors cannot measure the air fuel ratio when in PE (power enrichment) mode, so the fuel trim tuning method really only works for part throttle and lower RPM's. Also, you should log a lot more things in your scanner; everything under "advance" and "retard", accelerator pedal position and both injector pulsewidths.
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V - Tick SNS stage 2 cam, FAST LSXR 102mm, LS2 92mm silver TB, long tube headers and 3" exhaust, V2 rear cradle 3.23 gears

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, Ive created a graph for my ve and ill do some logging

Tuner in Training
    Thank you, Ive created a graph for my ve and ill do some logging
    No problem. Reply back if you have any more questions.

Tuner in Training
    Ok its getting close, still kinda feel like banging my head against a wall a little. ltft numbers are looking a lot closer but, looking at the ve chart it looks like a run over dog. when i try to smooth it out I make a mess out of it. anybody got any tips?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Goldy; 05-18-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    anybody got any tips?
    what is this? i see 5.3 in the file, but, is it stock?
    sometimes, puttting everyting back to a stock tune and go forward is the way to go.
    How did you get your VE to spike like that

i dont have unlimited, so i can only send a screen print, but, copy this to your VE table, and go for a log.
    My biggest issue when starting out street tuning is not driving far enough/long enough for the computer to stabilize and give actual good information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    This is a based off a tune i purchased. It was extremely rich. The tune was left in speed density. I am attempting to get it dilled in a little closer. I b using the ltft to adjust the VE table I believe like you stated i haven't been getting long enough logs.