Thread: 2018 Silverado 6.2 8 Speed Shifting tuning help

Tuner in Training

2018 Silverado 6.2 8 Speed Shifting tuning help

i have recently swapped out the gears for 4.10, minor tuning to TCM release/apply. disabled DOD

I'd like to now tune the trans to shift better. 1-4 is terrible. i've posted my tune file here. to better see the slop in shifting i can log but unsure what channels would help best. if you have recommendations please let me know and i'll get it logged.

the shifting now is 1st launches hard then delays into a soft 2nd landing, it races back into power and then falls into 3rd low power, and stumbles into 4th. From there it pretty clean, but never shifts in power band, always takes more throttle to catch back up to power band.shift-add-1.hptshift-add-1.hpt

thanks

Tuning Addict
    You can disable torque management, dial it back or whatever you prefer - this will fix the majority of what you're after. The majority of tuning these transmissions is on the engine side (DD, torque model, max torque settings, fast exit settings and so on) - you didn't post any of that or the log, soooo. You should have been able to use the editor to recalculate the shift mph settings. You can edit the shift time tables, but not a lot as they'll start causing interference problems with the timer settings you can't change.

Which brings us to this - problem is, the majority of the tables are missing that you really need access to for a good thorough transmission tune, so you have to work around everything... Majority of that is through torque management and engine settings.

Watch Cringer's (silversurfer77) - I think that's his youtube name - 6sp tuning videos. You'll understand things better in the 8sp with them too. You'll also understand why you have to work around things on the 8 speeds...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 05-11-2023 at 03:02 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    These are shift time baised.. Set the targets to something reasonable. .2 is a pretty firm upshift for example.

There is a "bluecat" transmission tool to help calculate shift points. I use something I created on my own so I can't comment on how it works but people give it good reviews in here.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I did make a few changes - here's the latest. runs better. but i'd like to work on the shift points - trying to read up on it. do you have a base tune for the 8l90 for reference?

Tuner in Training

New tune files

5-11-23_TCM-good.hpt

above is the latest - running it now and it helped.

this one was my attempt at shift points, used the numbers and scale from youtube videos. unsure if this one is safe to test or if it even would make a difference. 5-11-23_TCM-new.hpt

Tuner in Training
    finally got a log - hopefully the right PIDs5-12new.hpl

Also here's the ECM
    275-tires.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggerfly View Post
    finally got a log
    how is it coming?
    still tuning it or got it working good?

Tuner in Training
    1-4 still bad - what pids do you use to trans tune? i know it has to be in there somewhere so i can catch it and post.

thanks