Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Newbie No Start

Another Newbie No Start

Hello folks, thanks in advance for taking the time to help a guy out! I?ll try to be as informative and prompt as possible. Here is my scenario: had a 2000 P01 ECU DBC running (idling) my boosted 5.3. Swapped to a 4l60e and a P59 ECU DBW. Since the ecu?s aren?t the same I could not use the segment swap feature, but I pretty much copied the DBC tune over to the DBW ECU but it?s a crank no start now. Have fuel pressure at the rail. Power and ground at coils. Constant 12v and switching ground at injectors. Only time engine seems to almost start is when at WoT whilst cranking.
    5.3, eBay gt45, 80lb injectors, meth(anol), no skill
    Any help is appreciated!

update!!!
    car fires right up now i have real 2bar map installed. next issue is that the car dies immediately after put into gear. also ecm will sometimes cut fuel and spark after idling for like 2 minutes . i clear DTCs and itll fire right up and idle no prob. wideband is being whacky atm so apologies for the lack of data there. attached current tune and my attempt to put car in gear
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jabootydawiz; 06-02-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Does this P59 computer support drive by cable? Does it have the correct IAC drivers on it?

The systems options still have a 1 in the ETC cell, if it's cable driven that needs to be set to zero.

MAF DTC"S are wrong for speed density. All 3 need to be MIL on first error.

Cylinder volume is wrong for a 5.3 engine size, fix that too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It?s DBW setup now. Set to first error for MAF DTC?s. Set volume to .66588.

Along with the problems already noted, that VE is not gonna be a real good starting point and without the MAF all it has to work with is the VE. It should be pretty close to stock (or at least the same as if it were non-boosted) in the non-boost region, up to 105kPa. Copy the rows that are the same kPa between the old & new VE tables, then use some educated guessing (and the 3D view mode) to shape the over-100 part of the table.

If there's no MAF, as in completely deleted, how's it going to get to 1 Hz to fail? Should be 0. Always. Whether the sensor is there but just failed or totally gone. No reason to ever need to do anything other than zero and I wish I could find the person putting out the info that new people keep finding and getting this wrong.

You have a 'returnless'/non-referenced fuel system?

Yeah corvette reg style so ?returnless? in that sense.

Using my iPhone so sorry for all the random question marks

Non boost ref?d yes sorry

Senior Tuner
    Isn't WOT while starting flood clear? Sure you're not pouring fuel in while cranking? Check for wet plugs or the smell of raw fuel out the tailpipe.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-11-2023 at 09:57 AM.

As I understood yes WOT during crank= clear flood. It?s got me scratching my head. Definitely can smell raw fuel after cranking it a bit. But I can chop the VE by half multiple times and still not much better. Also when cranking and watching scanner commanded AFR switches back n forth from 6 to 14. I think this is concerning no?

Checking for no fuel/not enough fuel: spray with brake cleaner.
    Checking for too much fuel: disable fuel pump, bleed off rail pressure, make sure plugs are dry, spray with brake cleaner.

Oh, and both tests should be done in that order, otherwise if you do the second one first you won't know if it was from not enough or too much.

edit: And I wouldn't assume it has a clear flood mode unless it says it does in the service manual. Not all of them do.

Too much fuel. Almost sounds like it wants to start with pump disabled and throttle feathered. Noticed also on scanner 2 bar map reads 198 kpa when I start cranking. 90 kpa with sensor unplugged.

You can't say if it's too much or not enough until you can make it run one way or the other on the brake cleaner. Were you able to make it run, or not?

Hard to post the log I asked for when you're on a phone, I guess.

The under-100kPa part of your new 2-bar VE table has values between 1/3 & 1/2 less than stock. Your Cranking VE is about half of stock at 150 RPM & 100kPa. I would fix all that, then fix whatever's wrong with your MAP sensor, and try it that way.

Senior Tuner
    You have the cylinder volume of .74288. That's for a 6.0. For 5.3 it's .66594.

Adjust Cranking Fuel accordingly as well.

Fix your MAP and put your VE's back like blindsquirrel mentioned.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-12-2023 at 01:11 AM.

I?m sorry I didn?t make it clear that yes it began to run shortly after disabling fuel pump and spraying brake clean.

I can actually post some logs of me cranking it over and it trying to run as mentioned. If it helps Charts/gauges are probably not to your liking 😅
    I know the map isn?t reading proper in the chart or gauges.

I will revert those tables back to a 5.3 stock file, change plugs, and attempt to get the 2 bar to read something that makes sense before I try n fire it up again. Thanks for all your help so far gents. It?s much appreciated, honestly.

Charts/gauges/graphs aren't in a log file, for somebody else to see your graphs/etc. you'd have to also give then your default[Charts/Graphs/Gauges].xml.

What MAP pn# is it? No matter how you have it pinned, it should go high (max voltage & pressure) when unplugged, if it doesn't something is shorted to ground between the sensor and PCM on the signal wire.

oh ok well i have a few logs i can show you.
    Map i got is a ebay special with no p/n on sensor :/ im thinking this is part of my problem. Whats the correct p/n for gm 2bar ? where can i get one? was looking at a baro Gm (19418810) from GMpartsdirect.com will this sensor work?

here is a log of the car attempting to run with brake clean.
    i see what u meant also as im still not exactly sure if its too much fuel or not enough as it literally only will run on brake clean.
    also looked at my dtc from log, no maf dtc are set, shouldn't maf dtc set to enable SD? idk.

2nd log is from same car a few months before. just dbc p01 pcm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    That's the MAP sensor you need. $20 cheaper on RockAuto for the GM Genuine.

Yeah definitely a MAP sensor issue. I unplug it and I get 90kpa on the scanner and it?ll fire right up until it dies from lack of fuel due to the 20 amp mini fuse blowing 🥲 not sure why it?s doing that but I?ll figure it out once the new map is in. I?ll keep y?all posted! 🤙🏾