Thread: Looking for a tune to get me started.

Tuner in Training

Post Looking for a tune to get me started.

I just received all the goodies in the mail (HP stuff) and am looking for a tune.
    I didn't find what I am looking for in this thread http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9329.
    As I am new to the tuning world anything to get me started would help out alot.
    Basically I am looking for something to get me started and idling.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my mods (2002 Camaro SS):
    Whisper Carbon Fiber Air Lid
    Ported/Descreened Mass Air Flow Sensor
    PRC LS6 S1 Heads | Competition CNC Valve Job | PRC Double Spring Kit
    Magic Stick V.4 239/242, .649"/.609" Camshaft 112 LSA
    ASP Harmonic Balancer Crank Pulley
    Meziere Electric Water Pump
    Jet Hot Long Tube Headers with 1 3/4" Primaries
    Jet Hot 3" Off Road Y Pipe
    SLP 345hp Dual Center Mount Exhaust w/ High Flow Muffler (Dual 2.5" Exhaust Ports)
    SLP Cold Air Intake

HPTuners VCM Suite 1 Bar tuned

What can I say, it is the street legal, track and twistie ready race car I always wanted.
    These were taken for TSP to figure out what the hell is making the ticking noise.
    You might have to do a "save as" to view as the files are large.

Last edited by -=Mod=-; 02-24-2007 at 10:21 PM.

This is a similar car that I helped tune.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10162

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    I'll give them a go.
    Thanks alot Russ.

Tuner in Training
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/attach...6&d=1171423173

It seems to be a good tune but I need to figure out how to tweak it a bit.
    The car is very sluggish off the line. The car currently idles around 1000 -1100 rpms. When leaving a light at a normal speed the car drops down to around 600 rpms and is sluggish up to 1000 rpms then settles in. Where and what should I do to smooth this out?

Tuner in Training
    I have a slight ticking noise that I can't figure out what it is. I am going to try shorter pushrods Monday.
    Anyway, the car is running really rich. So rich you can smell it. Can you have a look at this tune to see what can be tweeked?
    The car is very sluggish off the line. The car currently idles around 1000 -1100 rpms. When leaving a light at a normal speed the car drops down to around 600 rpms and is sluggish up to 1000 rpms then settles in.
    The start idle is a bit high. As you can see the start idle is around 2000 rpms then drops to around 1500 after about 3-5 seconds then settles in around 1050 rpms.
    I would like to get it to settle around 900 rpms if possible.

If you are willing to change the cfg please let me know why you made the changes so it will help me grasp how to tune.
    I appreciate all the help. I am trying to learn this world of tuning.

I am using the tune above.
    Last edited by -=Mod=-; 02-24-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Your fuel trims are all positive, meaning that your too lean, You need to log commanded afr, and install a wideband. If your tune with the maf, you should find & use a Maf tune config file. I would need to see your hpt file to comment on the fast idle, and an idle scan from a cold start with a idle scan config. But you need to get the fueling in order before tunung the idle.

Russ Kemp

Senior Tuner
    If you don't have a WB I'd get one in that car pretty quick. Anyway, if you don't have one yet, for now, highlight the MAF scale below 7000 hz and increase 2% at a time until you see -trims. Don't try to get it to zero on a NB. Make sure the trims are rich by at least 3%. Then get the WB ASAP and you can fine tune it from there. Idealy, you will have your WB in soon

SEARCH AND READ!

Dont come on here looking for people to make tunes for you. There is a lot of information out there. If you dont search and do things on your own you will never learn, trust me.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Also, your "ticking" noise is prob because TSP doesnt supply people with the proper sized pushrods when they order cams. Most of then only give you 0.020" of preload so you will want to check the lifter preload. On stock lifters you will want 0.080-0.100" preload. 10:1 that will make your noise go away.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    SEARCH AND READ!

Dont come on here looking for people to make tunes for you. There is a lot of information out there. If you dont search and do things on your own you will never learn, trust me.
    You are probably right. Trying to dip right in to tuning is a bit overwealing for me at first. I am sure I will get the hang of it.

Yeah, there is a lot of good info on here. Before you start, I would read as much as possible.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Just looking over your tune there seems to be alot of things changed for no apparently reason...like the maf being scaled down by 10%, but yet the ve table hasnt been touched...which I would consider odd on a VERY large cammed car. The open loop fueling table has also been changed, but im not sure if you've tuned the car to run OL maf or what

Also I personally don't like the high/low octane tables to match...they are there to give you a cushion if you get a bad tank of gas...even by leaving 2-4* different in the high load high rpm areas isnt a bad idea. They are there, might as well use them for what they are for.

Your codes also look to have been deleted improperly.

Also with a heads/cam combo that should be close to pushing 450-470 hp the stock 28lb injectors will definitly not be up to the task & should be replaced & tuned for larger injectors that will be able to feed your combo the fuel it needs.

No matter if your doing idle tuning or drivability tuning ws6firebirdTA00 has listed the necessary parameters in the thread entitled Before posting to ask for help read this first and we've also supplied you with several scanner config files in the thread entitled configuration & histogram repository so you can just grab a config file saving you alot of time & effort setting up your own.

Doing a little reading on your own is all it takes...but a large cam such as yours really cannot & should not be tuned via the internet and even in person a great tuner could have trouble tuning a cam that large to where there are no drivability issues. There has to be a happy medium when you decide to go so large and normally I would not recommend a cam nearly that big to someone just starting out in tuning as thats a very tough task to handle. Hopefully you'll take the time to learn a little bit so you can get a grasp on it.

lata
    Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"