Thread: Knock retard

Potential Tuner

Knock retard

First thing is im just getting started and trying to understand everyhting. I bought a already swapped and tuned truck. its a 5.3 with 4l60e. issue im running into is bank 2 knock sensor dtc and knock. I thought originally it was a bad tune so I flashed a stock tune in and its still doing the same thing. I installed new knock sensors and harness, smoke checked, exhaust leak checked. I then thought possibly a faulty pcm or harness side wiring. I depinned the knock sensor harness and swapped the leads and the knock sensor circuit code followed back to bank 1, so it is not a pcm issue. here is my current tune and log. I could be missing something huge and just not see it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just turn the codes off if you already replaced the harness and sensors with OEM units. I've had it happen before. Pretty sure you can test the sensors with the codes off too, if you whack the block with a rubber mallet to see if it still picks it up.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    yes I can do that but its still gonna show me knock, i dont know if its something thats messed up in the tune. Im trying to get a baseline of the truck running perfectly fine before I add my wide badn and start adjusting. I dont want to be questioning "is it knocking or is that normal" if that makes any sense

I can't view the log but if it's pegging the knock channel at 8 degrees, that is solely because of the knock sensor code. It will automatically trigger the retard with a code set like that.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Im watching it on the graph, cylinder airmass is .52/.56/ .60 and rpm is 2400-4000. that is the only time it maxes out. When slowly looking at the log I can only see one time that the log picks up knock. But I have 6 cells filled with knock all the same maxed out. And all within the .52-.60 range and 2400-400rpm

Potential Tuner
    okay so i think im getting what your saying. Shutting off the codes would elminitate the dtcs and eliminate the full retard on wot after it sets. what if I do have actual knock though? Would the knock table still show it? And why would this be happening? Is it a new sensor thats bad? I replaced the sensor originally because of this issue.

Tuner in Training
    If it is real knock you will have some new knock sensors for the next motor..

I made some changes to your VE table but I don't know how to attach it.
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500
    Single Cab SWB Stepside
    2002 Gen III 5.3
    2004 fuel rail
    BW 73 mm turbo
    Texas Speed Cam
    Roller Rockers/Push Rods
    Siemens Deka 80lb injectors
    Walbro 525 fuel pump
    Tremec Stage 2 T56 6 speed transmission
    Yukon posi trac 4.88 gears
    Calvert Racing Traction bars