Thread: idle surging... please help.

Potential Tuner

idle surging... please help.

hello, I canot seem to resolve an issue i am currently having. I am experiencing a surging idle when letting off the throttle or coming to a stop. it will surge so much that it stalls sometimes. i am chasing my tail so much with this one and don't know what else to do. its in a 2003 suburban 5.3 truck norris cam, built 4l60e 3000 stall converter.

5-6-23 03 suburban 5.3.hptsurging.hplcurrent config - surging.Channels.xml

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase2604 View Post
    hello, I canot seem to resolve an issue
    have you followed the RUSS K idle instructions?
    what else have you done to the tune?
    you put a cam in stock engine and added a stall convertor?

Potential Tuner
    I did use russ k idle airflow config, but the lower the raf the worse it surges. Rebuilt the heads, Ls7 lifters, beehive springs, cam, converter, have procharger to install but required bracket is on backorder and don't know when it will be here. Trying to get it going the way it is until that comes in. I can upload the stock/as found tune so you can see what all has been changed.

stock.hpt
    Last edited by Chase2604; 05-07-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I did use russ k idle airflow config, but the lower the raf the worse it surges. Rebuilt the heads, Ls7 lifters, beehive springs, cam, converter, have procharger to install but required bracket is on backorder and don't know when it will be here. Trying to get it going the way it is until that comes in. I can upload the stock/as found tune so you can see what all has been changed.

stock.hpt
    Try running these channels. You are missing some important info to configure the idle.

over fueling is is not helping.

Key on no start for 2-3 seconds, then crank it. Let idle if it will on its own if not an you get it to after it warms up? If not use as little pedal as possible to get to idle and hold it there.
    Post log.10 seconds log is not enough but tto confirm you have an issue.

Log about 2 minutes and blip throttle 1 time to 25% and see if it stalls. Restart if does and let it idle for at least 60 seconds to get all the air adders out of the way and get good data.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply. got the logs for you. It seems to start and run fine other than plipping throttle/coming off throttle in gear. i have included logs of startup, blip in park, and blip in gear. you can see the rpms hanging a bit in park, but a pretty decent surge in gear. also added the pid for the wideband gauge on the last in gear blip. if there is anything else you'd like i can get it for you. thanks!

Startup log.hpl throttle blip-park.hpl throttle blip-in gear.hpl blip-in gear-wideband.hpl
    Last edited by Chase2604; 05-07-2023 at 05:32 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess I missed the dynamic airflow channel. It needs that in the list.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 05-08-2023 at 01:00 AM.

Potential Tuner
    sorry for the delay in response. I work long days. got those logs here for you. thanks again for the help!

Startup log-updated.hpl throttle blip-park-updated.hpl throttle blip-in gear-updated.hpl

Potential Tuner

5.3 truck norris cam

I have a pretty decent tune ive been running problem free for over a year. Unsure if electric fans were on in this one, but im sure it might shed some light on idle issue? If i can figure out how t upload the file..lol
    truck norris cam/headers/granetelli maf/ 2004 5.3 4x4 suburban

5.3TN1.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    sorry for the delay in response. I work long days. got those logs here for you. thanks again for the help!

Startup log-updated.hpl throttle blip-park-updated.hpl throttle blip-in gear-updated.hpl
    Good data there Chase.. but it never got to op temp for the cold start idle. Only just barely hit the CL temp. 131. You should not evaluate or change settings based on lower temps than what you will be idling at normal full operating temperature. It changes but with the BRA set up from full cold start, and yours is close, it should have similar response.

I took out the 224 delay and lets see what that does. it will probably need SOME delay but not 224 revs. The air was too high still holding the 2.46g/s when it peaked 2000rpm and then was still 2.46 at 850rpm that caused the bounce back up since it had too much air for idle desired at 850 - 700 target. No AC right?

How are your fans set up? Do you have an aftermarket fan control? They were set with a lot of airflow adder and no DC% until 221deg annd the in gear log stopped at 185 deg.
    Do they come on at all before that 221temp?, no AC?
    Use Green button special functions in Scanner and cycle each on separately to make sure they are independent if you want.

Are you sure both fuel models are set up at the idle portion? VE and MAF separately dialed in for idle then back to blended mode like it is now?

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for not getting up to op temp in those logs. Completely forgot. So far I have tried lowering timing in the idle portion, re-tuning ve and maf, re ran the russ k raf config. Adjusted follower settings, and I'm sure there's more just as trial and error. This all started after installing the loose converter I don't understand why that would change it, other than adding more load on the engine causing it to no overshoot the idle? I'm just at a loss at this point. I will get you logs that get up to operating temp later today. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: I do have ac, but haven't really messed with it especially with this issue. I installed the 1500hs fans in it. Built a wire harness to have 2 speeds and pin into the ECU. Tried to copy the fan portion off a vehicle that came with fans factory. I am still learning and have nobody to go to for questions, so everything I have done is either what I have read on here, or trial and error..
    Last edited by Chase2604; 05-13-2023 at 09:27 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry for not getting up to op temp in those logs. Completely forgot. So far I have tried lowering timing in the idle portion, re-tuning ve and maf, re ran the russ k raf config. Adjusted follower settings, and I'm sure there's more just as trial and error. This all started after installing the loose converter I don't understand why that would change it, other than adding more load on the engine causing it to no overshoot the idle? I'm just at a loss at this point. I will get you logs that get up to operating temp later today. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: I do have ac, but haven't really messed with it especially with this issue. I installed the 1500hs fans in it. Built a wire harness to have 2 speeds and pin into the ECU. Tried to copy the fan portion off a vehicle that came with fans factory. I am still learning and have nobody to go to for questions, so everything I have done is either what I have read on here, or trial and error..
    What cam do you have? Do you have the cam card?
    When you rebuilt the heads was it just valve job or are they ported?
    Was that converter lighter?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    What cam do you have? Do you have the cam card?
    When you rebuilt the heads was it just valve job or are they ported?
    Was that converter lighter?
    I am running the "Truck Norris" cam by Brian Tooley Racing. I have attached the cam card. The heads were milled .003 with new valve seats and new valves. No further wark was performed to the heads. The converter is a 3000 stall lockup converter by FTI. i have also attached information about the converter.

Cam Card.jpg
    Converter.jpg
    Converter 2.jpg