Thread: 2019 Mustang 5.0 E85 Flex. WOT "Injector Limit"

Potential Tuner

2019 Mustang 5.0 E85 Flex. WOT "Injector Limit"

First of all I will describe the car. It is a 2019 Mustang premium 5.0 10r80. Full exhaust, no cats, e85 flex fuel tune, CAI.
    The 93 tune I wrote was spot on. Shifts great at 7400 and lambda is spot on throughout the pull .84-.85 which is what I am commanding. Took a lot of time getting it dialed in. The guy took it to the track 1/8 mile ran a 7.66 at 95 mph full weight with stock wheels and tires. I thought that was pretty decent considering it was my first 3rd gen and 10r80 to tune.

So, now he wants to go faster. I made a e85 flex tune which is basically the same tune with flex fuel enabled and a lot of other tables filled in that was left empty from the factory. The car runs good and the car actually compensates for the ethenal content when changing fuels. The car made 465 rwhp on a mustang dyno with this flex tune in 6th gear. The commanded lambda is spot on and fuel trims are too. The only issue is most of the time around 6600 - 6700 the Actual Throttle % starts to gradually close until it gets to about 50 -60 % then it continues to accelerate and shift at 7400 rpm as commanded then the throttle will open fully again until around 6600 - 6700 and then throttle starts to close again. I have noticed that it will sometimes show "torque source - injector limit" when logging. Anyone ever ran into this? you can actually feel the car stop pulling as hard when it does it. I am assuming I am hitting the injector limit but how to properly adjust I do not know.
    Thanks for reading.

Advanced Tuner
    attach log of issues happening and tune file so we can help

Advanced Tuner
    The gen 3 uses primarily gdi at wot, and supplements with port. It also calculates the actual pulsewidth needed as a function of measured fuel pressure, as well as maximum pulsewidth. When port pulsewidth exceeds maximum then it knows it doesn’t have needed the fuel capacity. A good tune will close the throttle to protect the engine from going lean. I would log actual and maximum port injector pulsewidth to confirm this is what’s happening. If so, then confirm the lift pressure is maintaining setpoint, which will tell you of the lift pump or the injectors are holding it back.

Advanced Tuner
    But on a n/a set up as posted I would not think he is anywhere near maxing those out though ?

Advanced Tuner
    Bill you’re right, he shouldn’t be. But clearly the logic thinks it is. That’s why I would log pw, max pw, and lift pressure. It should reveal where the issue is.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the information! I will give that a try and see.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a good tune for 250. E85.