Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tuning new build

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PAQ View Post
    i did find one for a vette but its 5.7

Attachment 131344
    The manual part is unimportant and a 5.7 tune is also not going to be correct. Find a tune for a car that came with an Lq4 and has the same OS as yours.
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V - Tick SNS stage 2 cam, FAST LSXR 102mm, LS2 92mm silver TB, long tube headers and 3" exhaust, V2 rear cradle 3.23 gears

oh i have the as found

subaradoasfoundOS12587603.hpt

got my injectors in and installed last night with the injector data mentioned earlier

after i got injectors in last night took it out to get some tune before the storm got here.. was running good but after first run and reflash it was running really lean once i started it back up... thought maybe i copy pasted wrong into the tune so i reflashed back, still lean all over... ran good just no power and lean so figured fuel pressure

took it back to the shop and tested pressure sure enough at or around 40ish(non-ref)... pulled back seat to get to tank and regulator. tested pump head pressure and it was over 140psi...next thought was regulator took a sh!t... while running i was able to adjust it back to 60psi... strange that it happened and i thought to myself hope that doesnt happen again.

took it out for a drive today and all seemed well until it died on me and wouldnt restart...havent tested yet but im guessing/hoping its the regulator

on a side note inj duty% was much better

i did try lower my RAF by 2g/s due to logging negative LTIT but the stalling was horrible. so i put it back in and figured id come back to it later as i was driving to the shop to install the injectors and knew i would need to retune it all.

my question is i havent tuned MAF yet and even though i have it failed will it still use it or have any affect on drivability? wondering if i should wait to try to get my return to idle issues sorted out till after i have both ve and maf adjusted

here are the 3 logs i got with tunes i made adjustments too before it died

subaradosd18.hptsubaradosd19.hptsubaradosd20.hptnewinjdrive2.hplnewinjdrive1.hplnewinjdrive3.hpl

I make a log and and copy paste special percentage half into the tune then try and smooth or interpolate some areas...I think sometimes I'm over using the smooth selection button as on my next drive the error may be quite the other way..

i had it within 5% error before I had new injectors and the fueling issue in the "normal" driving area of the ve table. I had just recently started expanding to higher rpm range with the new injectors but only in higher gears as to not smear the diff...

Tuner in Training
    i did try lower my RAF by 2g/s due to logging negative LTIT but the stalling was horrible. so i put it back in and figured id come back to it later as i was driving to the shop to install the injectors and knew i would need to retune it all.

my question is i havent tuned MAF yet and even though i have it failed will it still use it or have any affect on drivability? wondering if i should wait to try to get my return to idle issues sorted out till after i have both ve and maf adjusted
    Although it shouldn't have an effect, it is better to tune VE and MAF before attempting to deal with idle issues. Usually it will resolve/diminish those issues, or at the very least make them easier to sort out.
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V - Tick SNS stage 2 cam, FAST LSXR 102mm, LS2 92mm silver TB, long tube headers and 3" exhaust, V2 rear cradle 3.23 gears

Tuner in Training
    I make a log and and copy paste special percentage half into the tune then try and smooth or interpolate some areas...I think sometimes I'm over using the smooth selection button as on my next drive the error may be quite the other way..

i had it within 5% error before I had new injectors and the fueling issue in the "normal" driving area of the ve table. I had just recently started expanding to higher rpm range with the new injectors but only in higher gears as to not smear the diff...
    You don't want to get too carried away with smoothing, as it will mess with your data. The table wants what it wants, just don't have massive jumps or spikes and you'll be fine. Currently, your VE table looks pretty rough, but it should become smoother as you data log and adjust.
    It looks VERY rich in the higher MAP and RPM areas, 130-140 is definitely too high.
    To make your life easier, try to get longer data logs where you fill out every cell 4000 and under. You can press the brake to hold rpms while slowly varying throttle to achieve this quicker.
    Do you have working narrowbands? I find enabling short and long term fuel trims and making a chart for them in the scanner makes dialing in part throttle much easier, and then just use the wideband for high RPM's and WOT.
    Last edited by ls6; 05-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ls6 View Post
    Although it shouldn't have an effect, it is better to tune VE and MAF before attempting to deal with idle issues. Usually it will resolve/diminish those issues, or at the very least make them easier to sort out.
    Ok cool...That's kinda what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by ls6 View Post
    You don't want to get too carried away with smoothing, as it will mess with your data. The table wants what it wants, just don't have massive jumps or spikes and you'll be fine. Currently, your VE table looks pretty rough, but it should become smoother as you data log and adjust.
    It looks VERY rich in the higher MAP and RPM areas, 130-140 is definitely too high.
    To make your life easier, try to get longer data logs where you fill out every cell 4000 and under. You can press the brake to hold rpms while slowly varying throttle to achieve this quicker.
    Do you have working narrowbands? I find enabling short and long term fuel trims and making a chart for them in the scanner makes dialing in part throttle much easier, and then just use the wideband for high RPM's and WOT.
    Good idea with the brakes... I do have fresh new narrow bands just disabled

I will look into how to use them to tune.... what is the advantage to that method?

I had at one point lowered all that high area down per your recommendation before my fuel pressure issues then resorted to a previous save cause I though maybe I fat fingered something

Does the maf get used on any calculations even though failed? Just asking out of curiosity

No. It does when doing the opposite though - in 'MAF only' the VE is still used in transients. VE is the one that can't ever be totally blocked out, MAF can.

Good to know thanks

Be sure not to still be logging any MAF channels when you want the MAF to be ignored. It can confuse the PCM.

Noted

short drive to shop today. seems my idle follower is all over. normal? and cracker is rarely active. realized now i havent adjusted my RAF still -3g/s

drivetoshop.hpl

logged a bit on the way in this morning. i pulled 2g/s from my raf and while my stit was lower the ltit was still -3gs... my fueling is still off so once i get that a little closer ill redo the russk thing.

also i played with throttle cracker setting. raising the enable and disable speeds and it seems like the idle routine is hitting quicker and my idle was more stable sooner.

was the cracker being set at a lower disable (1mph) staying active and not letting idle adaptives even the the adder was 0 for that area?

morningshorttrip.hplsubaradosd20transswap.hpt

Tuner in Training
    logged a bit on the way in this morning. i pulled 2g/s from my raf and while my stit was lower the ltit was still -3gs... my fueling is still off so once i get that a little closer ill redo the russk thing.

also i played with throttle cracker setting. raising the enable and disable speeds and it seems like the idle routine is hitting quicker and my idle was more stable sooner.

was the cracker being set at a lower disable (1mph) staying active and not letting idle adaptives even the the adder was 0 for that area?

morningshorttrip.hplsubaradosd20transswap.hpt
    One thing to note is that the LTIT takes a very long time to update based on STIT, although STIT+LTIT should give the actual base airflow correction. The throttle cracker should not prevent idle adaptives from coming on. Again I stress that you should dial in your fueling before you start messing with all the idle settings. I guarantee you it will be much easier once you do.
    Last edited by ls6; 05-10-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Good idea with the brakes... I do have fresh new narrow bands just disabled

I will look into how to use them to tune.... what is the advantage to that method?

I had at one point lowered all that high area down per your recommendation before my fuel pressure issues then resorted to a previous save cause I though maybe I fat fingered something
    In my opinion, if you plan on running closed loop in the long run, the narrowband STFT+LTFT gives more accurate and repeatable results that will give you very good accuracy when you're done tuning. If you tune open loop and then turn on closed loop, there is going to be some error. Of course though, the narrowbands cannot be used to tune PE and the wideband has to be used for that.

This video gives a pretty good idea of part throttle FT tuning. It is very long and a lot of it can be skipped through or put on 2x speed, but should be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/live/BXFSJtimxYM?feature=share
    Last edited by ls6; 05-10-2023 at 03:18 PM.