Thread: Starts and immediately shuts down, fuel pump has voltage.

Tuner in Training

Starts and immediately shuts down, fuel pump has voltage.

I tried to keep a 5.3 4l80 build low buck. I looked for answers on here and watched a bunch of YouTube videos.

I have an Amazon sloppy mechanics stage 2 cam, Deka 60lb injectors, kemso 340 pump, Osaias adjustable FPR, 2 Bar MAP, no MAF, and plan to boost so the manifolds are set up for a turbo. Wiring harness and ecu were not from engine. I should have kept everything stock and then built on, but I didn't and here I am.

Last week I used the conversion spreadsheet for the Deka 60's and with some other stuff it started and idled. Before that I had to give it throttle to do anything. Now it has me completely confused. I don't know if its the tune, FPR, or something else. I'm not looking for someone to give me anything, just some advice on where to look.

I pulled a plug and it looked like it was running really rich. I pulled the fuel pump relay and it started up and ran with 0 pressure on the FPR gauge. Plugged it back in, checked the gauge went to 60, and just turned over. If I adjust the FPR to show 0 psi then it will start and run for a few seconds and turn off. Assuming I'm doing something really dumb and am frustrated.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just want it idle, and I can go from there.

You never failed the MAF sensor.

Set the MAF fail high to 0hz and set all 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error.

Make sure you get all of the injector data. You need the flow rate, min injector pulse, short pulse adder and the offset data. If you can't get all of those, you should get better injectors with known data.

Yes, the VE is likely rich. You can't just slap the stock table back into the new 2 bar VE table. It no longer goes from 15-100kpa, it's now a 200kpa table with larger injectors. You'll have to get a wideband ASAP to know what the fueling is doing.

I would also lower the min fuel milligrams in the transient fuel table by half so it won't idle as rich.

Those are just a few things to change, obviously the rest of the tune is incomplete at this time.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 04-29-2023 at 06:34 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. I have a wide band but was holding off hooking up until I at least had it idling consistently. It's been quite a humbling experience. I used to tune OBD1 Honda's back in the early 2000's so how hard can a Turbo LS be