Thread: First time tuning LS1 Cam Longtube headers

Potential Tuner

First time tuning LS1 Cam Longtube headers

This is my first time tuning. My car is an 02 Corvette Base coupe LS1 with a Cam and longtube headers. I have tried to read all of the suggested info on beginning tuning. The car idles ok and seems to run decent. I have attempted to tune the MAF and the VE table after the cam swap. Can someone look at my tune and log and see if I am headed in the right direction and possibly give some pointers? I really just want a good sounding cammed idle and a decent running tune.
    Thanks to all who take time out of their day to help noobs like me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I'm a relative beginner too but I just did the same on my ctsv and I can give some pointers. First off, your idle looks pretty steady already so that's a good sign. You're looking pretty rich across the board, so VE and MAF will need some adjustment. You want to tune them separately, so go into engine diagnostics> airflow and set MAF fail high to 0 Hz, then in the DTC's section set P0101, P0102 and P0103 to MIL on first error. Then go into engine>airflow>dynamic and under dynamic airflow, set the high rpm disable to 8000rpm. This will force the car into speed density mode.

I can't see your configuration in VCM scanner, but you will want a histogram for your LTFT+STFT and match up the column and row axis to the labels and parameters from your VE table, which you can do by going into the VE table, right click, column axis, copy labels and paste into VCM scanner, then do the same for the row axis. Make sure the axes are the same (MAP and RPM) and make sure they have the same units (kPa and RPM). The parameter should show up when you search LTFT+STFT. You're then going to want to get another data log, try to get a good amount of data in each cell up to 3200 rpm at first. Then copy all of that data, right click on your VE table and click paste special >multiply by %. After that, do some smoothing to make sure the table isn't too rough and go do another data log. You can then start to move into higher rpms, up to 4000. It can help to press the brake and gas at the same time to hold a constant RPM as you vary throttle to fill out the cells. As you get closer, use multiply by %-half so you don't under/overshoot.

Also, every time you flash a new tune with a different VE table, reset your LTFT before logging (using the controls and special functions button in VCM scanner under fuel). Repeat until you get within 2-3% error across the board. From your data log it looks like you have a wideband, so set up another histogram exactly the same as the previous but with EQ ratio error instead of stft+ltft, and use your eq error to multiply by % in you VE table to tune WOT and higher rpms (>4000).
    When this is all good, you can undo all the changes I listed above to get the car out of speed density, and set the High RPM disable (under airflow>dynamic) to 100 rpm, which will put the car in MAF only mode. Set up a histogram in VCM scanner for your MAF frequency vs LTFT+STFT, using the same labels and units. Repeat the same process with your MAF Airflow vs. Frequency table until you get within 2-3% error. Then set up a histogram for your MAF with eq error and use that to modify the higher cells of the MAF calibration table. When that's within 2-3%, you can set the High RPM disable (engine>airflow>dynamic) back to 4000rpm to use both MAF and VE.

A couple other things I noticed: Your main spark table in the idle areas and idle spark advance are very far off, so you might want to bring down the main table in those spots to make a smoother transition on and off idle. Also, your STIT and LTIT are both pulling negative, which likely means you have too much Base Running Airflow. Look up the Russ K idle config to get that table dialed in. You should also log knock retard in your channels list so you can see if and where you have knock.
    If this is a little confusing, Goat Rope Garage has a lot of good videos on Youtube about this exactly. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to look over revised tunes and more logs as well.
    Last edited by ls6; 04-27-2023 at 09:11 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ls6 View Post
    I'm a relative beginner too but I just did the same on my ctsv and I can give some pointers. First off, your idle looks pretty steady already so that's a good sign. You're looking pretty rich across the board, so VE and MAF will need some adjustment. You want to tune them separately, so go into engine diagnostics> airflow and set MAF fail high to 0 Hz, then in the DTC's section set P0101, P0102 and P0103 to MIL on first error. Then go into engine>airflow>dynamic and under dynamic airflow, set the high rpm disable to 8000rpm. This will force the car into speed density mode.

I can't see your configuration in VCM scanner, but you will want a histogram for your LTFT+STFT and match up the column and row axis to the labels and parameters from your VE table, which you can do by going into the VE table, right click, column axis, copy labels and paste into VCM scanner, then do the same for the row axis. Make sure the axes are the same (MAP and RPM) and make sure they have the same units (kPa and RPM). The parameter should show up when you search LTFT+STFT. You're then going to want to get another data log, try to get a good amount of data in each cell up to 3200 rpm at first. Then copy all of that data, right click on your VE table and click paste special >multiply by %. After that, do some smoothing to make sure the table isn't too rough and go do another data log. You can then start to move into higher rpms, up to 4000. It can help to press the brake and gas at the same time to hold a constant RPM as you vary throttle to fill out the cells. As you get closer, use multiply by %-half so you don't under/overshoot.

Also, every time you flash a new tune with a different VE table, reset your LTFT before logging (using the controls and special functions button in VCM scanner under fuel). Repeat until you get within 2-3% error across the board. From your data log it looks like you have a wideband, so set up another histogram exactly the same as the previous but with EQ ratio error instead of stft+ltft, and use your eq error to multiply by % in you VE table to tune WOT and higher rpms (>4000).
    When this is all good, you can undo all the changes I listed above to get the car out of speed density, and set the High RPM disable (under airflow>dynamic) to 100 rpm, which will put the car in MAF only mode. Set up a histogram in VCM scanner for your MAF frequency vs LTFT+STFT, using the same labels and units. Repeat the same process with your MAF Airflow vs. Frequency table until you get within 2-3% error. Then set up a histogram for your MAF with eq error and use that to modify the higher cells of the MAF calibration table. When that's within 2-3%, you can set the High RPM disable (engine>airflow>dynamic) back to 4000rpm to use both MAF and VE.

A couple other things I noticed: Your main spark table in the idle areas and idle spark advance are very far off, so you might want to bring down the main table in those spots to make a smoother transition on and off idle. Also, your STIT and LTIT are both pulling negative, which likely means you have too much Base Running Airflow. Look up the Russ K idle config to get that table dialed in. You should also log knock retard in your channels list so you can see if and where you have knock.
    If this is a little confusing, Goat Rope Garage has a lot of good videos on Youtube about this exactly. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to look over revised tunes and more logs as well.
    Thank you for looking at my file. I just realized that without my config file that you can't see the log. I have been doing most of my tuning with EQ ratio based on the goat rope garage videos, and could not figure out why I had so much fuel trim after I turned closed loop back on. I now realize that my o2 sensors in the car and my wideband do not agree. I am going to try to replace the sensors in the car to see if I can get them to line up a little closer. I will post a new log and tune once I have the o2 sensors replaced.