Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dyno shops/ Tuners in my area will not tune my truck

Potential Tuner

Dyno shops/ Tuners in my area will not tune my truck

I have an 07 5.3 with a btr stage 4 cam and SE long tubes with their respective y pipe, with a full exhaust after that. Every shop i have talked to does not do street driven vehicles. And now im to the point to where i have 2000$ wrapped up into a cam swap and have not been able to get it tuned other than slowly figuring out some of the stuff in hp tuners. If anyone has any input on this it would be much appreciated, all the shops i have talked to have just said "sorry, but we quit tuning street efi vehicles" in some way shape or form. with no further explanation. I dont know if i just live in a shitty state or what the issue is. Buddy had a mustang last year that he had a shop tune and i even called them and they said the same thing. So im lost on it, do i put a stock cam back in it and get rid of it or what. Sorry if this just seems like bitching and moaning, but its hard to belive that no one within 4 hr of me will do it.

I would seek out someone on here to do a remote tune for you that would be your best bet unless your willing to drive to another state.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    I would seek out someone on here to do a remote tune for you that would be your best bet unless your willing to drive to another state.
    Happen to know anyone that would be reccomended to do it?

Greg Huggins and Ben Charles are a couple that I know of but there are more on here I just don't know who does them and who doesn't. Maybe just ask.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Hit me up!! Remote tuning right now

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Why is it that people always go with the biggest camshaft but never put the correct converter in it?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuning Addict
    It's borderline, but you can make it work with a stock converter. Agreed a higher stall would help idle, as the stock will buck a little rolling with this cam.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Why is it that people always go with the biggest camshaft but never put the correct converter in it?
    I see it every single day..

/me glances out the window at the old beater ElCamino, with the stock-L31-cammed SBC with a 9" 3600 converter...

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    At least it's got headers... Huge cam + stock manifolds.. such a waste.

We to remote tuning all the time. www.pcmofnc.com
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    I wonder if EPA emissions change enforcement is scaring tuner folks away?

Tuning Addict
    Yep, I hear it more and more to where shops will not touch misfire or exhaust settings. If things are modded that require this, they won't touch them. Haven't heard of epa going after gas shops, but assume it's coming and knowing some of the fines that were handed out to diesel shops - well I can see why they're scared... Also like how they're "all of a sudden" discovering electric cars actually pollute more than fuel burners from the fact studies big picture standpoint. Geeze - how many people said that from the getgo?????
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

There have been plenty of gas shops that have been attacked by the EPA. Jamie Meyers from SEMA did a nice article on one about a year ago. A shop that does zero "road use" vehicles. They thought that were following the current laws, but alas the EPA said otherwise. Diesel guys are getting it bad due to the rolling coal videos, but nobody is safe in this current environment. I don't know what is worse, government overreach, or the fact they know their current laws are based on false data and continue with their battery on the performance industry. I just read 3 more diesel shops in Michigan got indicted today, ugh. More gas shops will soon be on the list. Rant over, but I'm sure that's why you're having trouble finding a shop to help you out.

'Current environment' meaning that the world's economies only work if there is perpetual growth, without taking into account that Planet Earth is a finite system that makes that unsustainable? Or did you mean 'current environment' in the other sense of 'somebody I don't like got elected and it's all his fault'?

A little of both really... The word growth is directly tied to the vision of what you are trying to achieve, meaning you are only achieving growth if you are moving in a direction towards your goal. I don't believe any elected officials that are in charge for the last 20 years have aligned with my current views on what I believe we should be goaling for. I only say 20 years because before that I couldn't have cared less what political bs was going on. However in my life directly, my life was better under Trump's term. Even though I didn't vote for him the first time, I did this last round...so I guess you can say someone I don't like got elected..and also yes the current admission is to blame for the current emissions bs and directly why the OP is having trouble finding someone to help him out. One of the first things Biden did was sign the clean air act 2021, which is an enhanced version that was under Obama, one that basically makes California standards the standards for the US, and also one that Trump demolished during his term. If he hadn't, we would be in this situation far sooner than we are. The current perspective that electric cars are the future and being forced to have that as the only option is futile. There is just as much pollution in their current form when comparing efficient gasoline cars. I'm not going to argue that some of these "performance" mods we do don't greatly impact the emissions from the vehicle, even if they remain in compliance at the tail pipe end, it's still higher than before. What they seam to forget, or overlook, is the innovation from the performance industry is why we have the great cars we have today. I had a colleague who worked at GM proving grounds on the hydrogen fuel program. What I learned from him was astonishing. The kind of power and clean emissions that was possible in the early 2000's is insane. Fast forward 20 years and the only one I know trying to enhance on that technology is Mike Copeland from Arrington Performance. Porsche also has a new synthetic fuel that looks promising. ICE should not be forced away. And as these battery packs for electric vehicles keep growing (storing more energy) are they really any safer to have than a hydrogen tank? The energy potential from both when released uncontrolled is extremely life threatening. I don't see that as the future. However crippling innovation to push an agenda that has very limited sight and also pushed with the most flawed "science" behind it (that in which my 7th grade science teacher would have failed me for) and claiming it as fact is ridiculous.
    Holy crap I got lost on tangents there. Not really sure your tone in your post, but I think I answered your questions. Sorry OP for the hyjack

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    /me glances out the window at the old beater ElCamino, with the stock-L31-cammed SBC with a 9" 3600 converter...
    The converter in my 4L85E in my Express van stalls 2,900 behind the L31 based 383 in it and it has a small cam. Instant get up and go! Trying to run a larger cam with a stock converter is pretty pointless, as a decent converter and stock cam will outperform it.

Senior Tuner
    Could be a simpler explanation... Like no one around us will touch older cars anymore. Likely cause they realize a large portion of them are ragged out and full of problems.

A local shop near me stopped working on "cable driven" LS motors. Hell I stopped doing chip cars in person some 15 years ago or so for this reason. Yeah some are still really nice but you have to wade though a sea of crap to get to them.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Cursed EPA BS! I found that when calling around here in MD. We only do race cars, we don't do street cars etc.
    I started telling them my truck identifies as a AutoX champion...

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottietoohottie View Post
    Cursed EPA BS! I found that when calling around here in MD. We only do race cars, we don't do street cars etc.
    I started telling them my truck identifies as a AutoX champion...
    ^^^^^ With everything else going on. I love it. Got a chuckle out of that

~Greg Huggins~

Most tuning shops in general don't have a tuner on staff. They have someone who has software and does the job but is in no way a tuner. So many shops give the "I don't do trucks", "I don't do cars", "I only do electronic throttle", "I only do cable drive", "I only tune with Holley now", and more. With the 100k or so (guess) of tuning cables out there one would expect about 50 or so are used by those who know what they are changing when they make changes. Most people who do this start like this... I want to buy software, but I only want to play with my own... I don't know enough... Next a friend asks for some help with a speed limiter, tire size thing, or something. Then that person assumes he got the best work ever and now his friend wants something done... Before you know it someone is charging for tunes based on work he has seen from others, things he's heard, played with, guessed, etc... One thing about tuning is that you can either tune or not. There isn't a only do cars, trucks, stock cam, big cam, turbo, blower, nitrous, etc... I've heard that stuff a ton. If you can't find someone to tune your stuff you are likely being kept away from someone who can't do it anyway. It is brave to spend 2k though and not have the tuner set up ahead of time. It's like prepping your house for paint just to not be able to get someone to paint your house.