Thread: Spark tuning

Advanced Tuner

Spark tuning

In the scanner the top right side table has a +, -, A and L button
    Highest, Lowest, Average and Last.

Is it proper to let the + or highest reading to be in knock? I've got some cells that show average -3.234 and lowest -5.322 and highest +1.587

Is this acceptable from a safe tune prospect or should I reduce timing by 1.6 degrees?

Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    - negitive knock is good + knock bad

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithsr View Post
    - negitive knock is good + knock bad
    LOL yes. However there is a range of spark for each cell.

Here re 3 screen shots of the exact same log, time ect.... only difference is the scale. Which do I get rid of knock? All? Avg? highest? lowest?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (642.7 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: png 2.png (639.7 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (640.7 KB, 17 views)

Advanced Tuner
    This log shows what I'm asking better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    I would suggest using average, but view zoom data range only.its one of the two graph icons to the right of the +, -, A and L buttons.

If you want to see the max / min in a part you have zoomed in on, export it to a new log of just the zoomed range. Open that new log and switch it to view entire data range which allows the max/min views. They work better on shorter exported logs of areas of interest.

Ideally you dont want any number that actually puts the spark advance below the base final borderline value. You want it between borderline and MBT.
    safe really depends on the load that these event happen and how intense of an event it is. If its .35-.55 load, and 0.5-2* thats probably safe, but you might want to lower the middle of your BDL tables a bit so the cross over between BDL amd MBT happens sooner.
    If its happening at .85-1.1+ load, thats more uncontrolled energy being released and a higher chance of causing damage, definitely want to avoid it in this area.
    Now this is not to say you cant have low intensity knock at high loads or high intensity knock at low loads. Its just a potential scale, intensity depends on how far advance you are in relationship to the actual borderline knock threshold. 5-6+* needing to be pulled out to stop detecting knock activity, would be a lot at any load.
    Running into a situation where you got that much activity, I would suspect a engine heat management problem or adaquate fueling issue. You would have to be completely careless and not know what you are doing to intentionally cause a situation like that.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-22-2023 at 04:30 AM.

I don't know if this is right but I did a bunch of pulls stock tune on 87 (bear in mind it was cold out) and I saw +1.5* max, in the heat I'd expect it to go higher. So from that experience I'd think that +1.6* like you saw could be safe. Personally I have been trying to tune so that the motor is always adding spark and relies on the spark retard only as a safety mechanism.

I've come to like using the graphs to monitor spark as shown below (this is not 87 this is VP octanium):

spark graph.png

That way I can see how the spark changes over RPM, and how much KR is being applied at different areas. Doing it like this also helps me quickly identify at what RPM/Load ranges I need to change spark. So far I like this method.
    Last edited by junits15; 04-22-2023 at 11:08 AM.
    I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing

Potential Tuner
    I've never tried any of these before.