Thread: Camaro 2018 gets rich with engine temp rising

Camaro 2018 gets rich with engine temp rising

Hello

I'm having problem with stock Camaro i got to tune, lot of problems and most of them fixed. Car is currently full stock and stock tune installed.

Some things made by prevoius garage

1. New vin matched injectors
    2. New twice changed hight pressure fuel pump
    3. New low pressure fuel pump

It was pig rich and oxygen sensors were not doing anything due clogged cats.

Now new oxygen sensors, no cats, oxygen sensors works correct and finally match wideband installed.
    But cold it starts to -20 fuel trims and going to rich and rich with temp growing finishing at total of around -55 or so, still matching wideband.

Do you have any ideas?

I could try to "fix" the problem by injector tip correction, but that's just a "fix". My ideas finished.

01. from cold.hpl
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

Potential Tuner
    You said the high side fuel pump has been replaced twice? Does the oil smell like fuel? I have seen cars with high side pumps that have failed have this same issue. If the oil smells like fuel it may take a couple of oil changes to straighten out the fuel trims.

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRWS6 View Post
    You said the high side fuel pump has been replaced twice? Does the oil smell like fuel? I have seen cars with high side pumps that have failed have this same issue. If the oil smells like fuel it may take a couple of oil changes to straighten out the fuel trims.
    Correct, twice, but i see requested fuel pressure equals to actual, but may be oil if full of fuel already, i'll take a look tommorow.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Quote Originally Posted by caniggia View Post
    Correct, twice, but i see requested fuel pressure equals to actual, but may be oil if full of fuel already, i'll take a look tommorow.
    Couldn't wait and went to garage, oil level is full, but consistency and smell is like it's full of oil. Tomorrow I'll disconnect PCV and I'll recheck and then I'll change oil and let's see
    www.hd-customs.pl

Tuning Addict
    A few minor things to check. Some of these will seem stupid, but I've seen them overlooked by some pretty intelligent people before.

Air filter clogged?
    On the same lines as that - air filter come apart - in intake manifold causing restriction or restriction to air feeding filter?
    TB coated - should only be rich at idle with this?
    Fuel in oil - disconnect pcv as you're already going to do
    Fuel in vent canister - had one with rich trims for a month because of this before it could clean itself - you can disconnect purge valve for testing
    Rail pressure too high - wrong pumps installed
    Bad MAF - you can put into SD to verify
    Wrong baro reading or wrong map reading - baro is part of the MAF, map in intake - both should read the same key on engine off
    Bad carbon buildup around the intake valves?
    Melted cats - assume been run really hard or wrong fuel - has compression been checked?

There isn't a tip table to change - only density and it affects things as much as the MAF or VE tables do. If fueling is changing due to temp then density may be off, but sounds like flow is changing somewhere for something such as the purge valve.

Then is it only rich at idle? Or rich all the time at any rev point?

You also said - vin matched injectors - were the part numbers matched - I know vin usually gets just the one, but this also requires a parts guy knowing what they're doing as all 3 will show for a vin unless the parts catalog is set to vin specific - there are 3 different ones.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 04-20-2023 at 07:41 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

So with PCV disconnected it's better, but aroung 5 percent, so that's not this.
    I disconnected every hose going to manifold for test and it's still this same.
    It's rich not only idle, it's same percent whole load/rpm range.
    Cats were clogged, so lambda sensors were not working, but thats fixed now, cats removed and lambda works correct and match wideband.
    Switched to only MAF or only SD makes this same.
    Fuel pressure actual=desired.

Injectors they installed are 12700470, old were 12687703, i should get old from customer today and i'll try to switch them.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Looks i checked all I could, only thing I'm not sure are injectors.
    Finally I adjusted table of density VS tip temp and all works fine.
    www.hd-customs.pl

Tuning Addict
    Still think you may have just covered up the problem and who's to say the problem won't clear itself a month from now and be very lean at that point? That's if the correct injectors were installed to begin with. May be more to the problem than you or we know

Plus the density table isn't something to blindly adjust - it changes fueling and torque for wot, idle and all aspects for different temps. If one column is the slightest off it could be 10 or 20 % lean just for that temperature. This table has to be dialed in under controlled environments without loads applied. I've invested A LOT of time into getting the method right for the given results.

Hopefully it works out for you.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Before not at my garage car spent nearly half year I 3 different places, he spent tons of money for changing parts several times and not willing to do that again. I spent nearly 40 hours for checking and nothing more left than changing again parts. Must be injectors.

Adjusting that table is very easy and there's no need for laboratory.
    Histo with fuel trims, tip temp, rail pressure and widebsnd to check wot.
    Took me 1h, one log from cold to hot and smooth table.
    Now from cold to hot trims are close to 0 all loads.
    www.hd-customs.pl

It's just some numbers in a table, how hard could it be? amirite?

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by caniggia View Post
    Before not at my garage car spent nearly half year I 3 different places, he spent tons of money for changing parts several times and not willing to do that again. I spent nearly 40 hours for checking and nothing more left than changing again parts. Must be injectors.

Adjusting that table is very easy and there's no need for laboratory.
    Histo with fuel trims, tip temp, rail pressure and widebsnd to check wot.
    Took me 1h, one log from cold to hot and smooth table.
    Now from cold to hot trims are close to 0 all loads.
    That's funny... IN fact hilarious that you think that. Good luck. When dialed in correctly fueling and torque will be the same no matter what. You can't just take one log and adjust all of the different Mpa levels. It changes throughout them. Just for reference this is one that's completely dialed in on stock injectors with different airflow going through the engine.

This is just one of the one's I've fully dialed in. Keeps trims and wot fueling the same for all temps +1 to -1 % error...
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Greg Huggins~

That's really simple in my case since it's linear, minus 20 at 20 deg, minus 50 in 100 deg, same in all load range, so finally car has all parameters inline and drives like stock, so that's not really complicated
    www.hd-customs.pl

Tuning Addict
    I should have also asked if you're sure it's got the high flows and not the normals, why not just change the data to the high flows data? High flows were used in most of the flex capable trucks.
    Either way. Hopefully it works for you.

~Greg Huggins~