Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaning out during normal operation

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    O2 sensors plugged in (they do not need to be screwed into the exhaust) will stop it from endless-looping the cat/O2 tests. If it runs the tests and fails it'll stop trying. If the tests can't complete it just keeps trying over and over and over.
    I'd not recommend that. I had one recently where the customer left them on the outside of the exhaust and it caused a odd issue. I made a post about it a couple months ago

here it is..

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-open-throttle

not saying this one is guaranteed to do it. I'd avoid doing it.
    Last edited by Alvin; 04-21-2023 at 12:18 PM.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    Do you have an HP tuners interface yourself?
    Yes, still have the original MPVI. Haven't upgraded yet.

Advanced Tuner
    I wasn't sure if you could load the tunes or your tuner has to do it. I look forward to your logs using my channels, to see what fuel status is while 16.00 AFR is commanded

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    I wasn't sure if you could load the tunes or your tuner has to do it. I look forward to your logs using my channels, to see what fuel status is while 16.00 AFR is commanded
    I was able to log a run. I'm attaching to the message along with the tune that was used for the drive.Forum request w channels 1.hpl2bar OS_MAF Enable_BTR Stage 1 Blower Cam_Novi1500_LT_60# Injectors Scaled 75%_v003.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by mastersorbet View Post
    I was able to log a run. I'm attaching to the message along with the tune that was used for the drive.Forum request w channels 1.hpl2bar OS_MAF Enable_BTR Stage 1 Blower Cam_Novi1500_LT_60# Injectors Scaled 75%_v003.hpt
    I forgot to mention, the commanded lean condition came in at 12 min, 31 sec in the log time line.

Thanks

Update:

Installed rear O2 sensors as suggested and the problem is gone. I did threaded them properly into the exhaust and routed all the cables accordingly . I was honestly going to hold off on that but after searching deeper and finding some other gen III owners complaining about the same issue and getting the same suggestion, I decided to follow through. Here is a log of a regular drive for your viewing pleasure. Thanks to everyone who commented and provided help.

Forum request w channels 2 (Rear O2 inst).hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I'm glad it worked out for you.
    The classic cars that I have LS swapped didn't have any issues commanding a different AFR than stoich, but they weren't emissions compliant they were antiques. Removing sensors, turning off COT and secondary o2s in the DTC has sufficed.
    Cheers.