Thread: lq4 and 4l80E swap - tuning questions

Potential Tuner

lq4 and 4l80E swap - tuning questions

So I got a 2004 savana with a lq4 6.0l, and the 4l80e I am swapping into a c3 corvette but i have several questions.

Should i get the van running and tune it before taking it all out, deleting the vats, and all stuff im not using?
    Do I need to purchase a key every single time i want to adjust something on the car?
    The 4l80e will not fit the c3 tunnel without some modifications, I have a friend looking for a 80e, so I might trade him for a 4l60e - What would I need to do tuner wise to make this happen?

Anything else I should be aware of?
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Yes on getting it running if it won't run now, otherwise you won't know if issues later are wiring/swap issues.
    Yes on deleting vats now, again less variables later after the swap.
    I guess by "purchase a key every single time i want to adjust something on the car" you mean use HPT credits, no typically you only license one time, but there are exceptions.

"Anything else I should be aware of?" Be careful of accelerator pedal and throttle body swaps although I don't think this is as bad as later stuff. But it will be better if it all comes from the same donor vehicle. Don't buy Holley injectors (or other random brand injectors) or sensors since they aren't really designed to work with OEM ECM's. If you buy an aftermarket swap harness, be prepared for it to have some issues. Have full wiring diagrams for your donor vehicle.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you! I will have to do things like swap the intake from the truck to corvette intakes, and as well as fuel rails and injectors, but thats after I get it running. I will be buying the harness that gets rid of all the wiring since I dont want to butcher the harness.

If im swapping the 4l80E to the 4l60E what do I need to do tuner wise?

Senior Tuner
    Someone else needs to weigh in on the transmission swap. All I'll add is make sure you know what you are doing before you actually trade the transmissions. There are a lot of post on here of people trying to figure out how to make it work after they have done it, and it isn't always as simple as people think. I would just go ahead and modify the tunnel, especially if you are thinking about adding more power later. A lot of people on here don't like the 4L60E.

Again be prepared for the swap harness to not work. If I bought one, I would check all of the pin outs with the OEM diagrams prior to installing. And make sure you account for anything that they omit (make sure it isn't actually needed).

Make sure you get Injectors that have full GM data before you buy them.

Of course, this is probably a perfect case you using an aftermarket ECM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Twalt87 View Post
    Thank you! I will have to do things like swap the intake from the truck to corvette intakes, and as well as fuel rails and injectors, but thats after I get it running. I will be buying the harness that gets rid of all the wiring since I dont want to butcher the harness.

If im swapping the 4l80E to the 4l60E what do I need to do tuner wise?

You can just re-wire it like a 4l60 which doesn't take a whole lot (see schematic in service manual). Then flash the ECM with a V8 4l60 calibration that matches the harness. OR do a segment swap from a 4l60 file with the same OS ID. I'm sure the van donor you using also came with a 4l60.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I'm sure the van donor you using also came with a 4l60.
    Im honestly not sure, its a 2004 Savana 3500 with like 12 seats lol. technically a bus. The wiring side is 0 issues. I have alldata and shop key

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Twalt87 View Post
    Im honestly not sure, its a 2004 Savana 3500 with like 12 seats lol. technically a bus. The wiring side is 0 issues. I have alldata and shop key
    2004 Savana 3500 should have a 4L80E from the factory... 4L60E was always for light duty vehicles.
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014