Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Runs Rough After Starting From Heat Soak

I also determined that cylinders 4, 5 and 7 are not firing when the problem is occurring. I did a compressor test on 3 and 5 to see if there was a difference and they were both almost exactly 150 psi. I checked that they are getting spark and voltage is going to the injectors. I also took the intake manifold gaskets off and cleaned them just in case. Still having the problem though.

You will need a shield(s). Here is a video how I determined the temperature and cooling of the coils and valve covers.

Coils and valve covers should run just under near the temp of properly warmed oil, around boiling water 200*F~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTLskpeVRk

I had a single large shield config for a few years but wasn't happy with the temps in daytime traffic on the hood, so
    IMG-8468.jpg

I layered with a second shield, much better
    IMG-8875.jpg

My engine never misfires, runs perfect, 20 year old stuff, even the starter. Its totally possible just need to properly control the temperatures.
    Keep spare coils they are cheap. Are you sure your coils are intended for your ECU? My ecu uses D585 coils and the other style of coil is a different dwell period. If you look at your dwell compare to mine I guess.

You absolutely need to get an air filter on that turbo also. Air is filthy it will ruin the engine and embed debris to the intercooler and fill the deck head pistons valves with debris. Ruin the engine. Pollute the oil. Permanently ruin the engine oil system.

To help find the misfiring issues, use the scanner function, Disable 1 injector or 1 coil at a time to find out whether the RPM and Wideband Responds. IT will also tell you whether the issue is a injector or a coil.
    You will disable an injector/coil, listen for the misfire pop noise, observe the difference in wideband reading. Then do each cylinder, they will all have roughly the same O2 afr change but will sound a bit different sometimes. Still the pop should be noticable. You will want to smooth the spark for idle control and smooth the engine out for the test, enable the AFR control and dial in around 14:1 air fuel ratio for a smoother idle. Perhaps 13.9 even. With steady timing. So you can detect the misfires per cylinder.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 04-23-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Something strange I measured today. I hooked up a noid light to the injector harness and disabled each cylinder one by one. I noticed the cylinder I disabled using the VCM scanner did not match the injector I was testing.

Engine Cylinder - Injector Disabled in VCM
    2 - 5
    4 - 2
    6 - 4
    8 - 7
    1 - 6
    3 - 3
    5 - 1
    7 - 8

Also when I disabled cylinders 6 and 8 (VCM injector disable 4 and 7) the noid light went full on instead of off like the others.

I did however run a wire to the ECU and confirmed via continuity that all the wiring for the coils and injectors is correct.
    Last edited by nnicholas; 04-24-2023 at 08:37 PM.