Thread: 6L80E Clutch Air purge

Tuner in Training

6L80E Clutch Air purge

I haven't seen anything about this but on a 2015 Tahoe I am tuning there is a Clutch air purge master enable/disable. Should that be disabled when raising line pressures? I know on the 2019+ Rams with 68rfe there is a clutch air purge or something similar that has to be disabled when raising line pressure or you will burn up the clutch packs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dylan

I don't know the correct answer for your setup but my 6L80 was having a very noticeable momentary bind after the initial 2-3 shift until I disabled the clutch air purge. I have a Sonnax Zip Kit and their updated 4-5-6 clutch which eliminates the wave plate and adds an extra friction. My transmission also has increased line pressure and shortened shift times. It felt like it was going into reverse for a split second but only after the initial 2-3 shift.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaller97 View Post
    I haven't seen anything about this but on a 2015 Tahoe I am tuning there is a Clutch air purge master enable/disable. Should that be disabled when raising line pressures? I know on the 2019+ Rams with 68rfe there is a clutch air purge or something similar that has to be disabled when raising line pressure or you will burn up the clutch packs. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dylan
    I have never heard of a need to do this on a 6L80E. Mine has had the line pressure raised for years now with the purge enabled. Currently over 120k miles on the factory sealed slushbox and still running strong. I would suggest leaving it enabled as this should make the first shift into each gear smoother and more consistent.
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant