Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 Nova L33 Dont BS Me Clone-ish, first time using HPT

Tuner in Training

1967 Nova L33 Dont BS Me Clone-ish, first time using HPT

Amazon will be delivering my MPVI3 in a few days and since this is my first experience with HPT, I didnt want to make mistakes that cost more credits.
    I have just enough experience with TunerPro to be dangerous.
    I loaded a quick .bin tune just to hear the L33 light off.

I found a Happel recipe "Keith Vogler" tune that matches pretty close to what I have.
    But, I didnt see the option for the speed density tab. HPT - P59 - keith vogler 1500 turbo truck 80e swap decaps DBW.hpt
    Would you suggest that one or a different tune inside the HPT repository be better?

My 1967 Nova (dont bs me clone-ish, low boost street car ice-cream getter)
    5.3L L33 DBW P59
    Sloppy Best cam, 1218 springs
    VSRacing 7875 billet
    Decapped stock (nonflex) 73lb hr injectors
    4L80e 3200 stall, 3.08 rear gear (will change to 3.50 later)
    P/N switch only, TCC attached at brake s/w
    MAF delete, IAT and 3bar map (speed density)
    knock and O2 sensor deletes (if thats a thing, if i need o2s i will just weld the bungs or one wideband in the down pipe?)

You don't see the speed density option because it's already on a 3 bar tune.

If you are asking me and most of us, you are better off only using parts of it and not all of it.

I highly suggest you throw those decapped injectors in the garbage and then light them on fire. There is no way to know the true injector data once you remove the caps and triple the flow rate of the injector. This isn't a Holley computer that really doesn't give a damn about that kind of stuff, it can auto correct for just about anything but the OEM controller can not do that. Having the correct injector data is a 100% must so the airflow model is correct. You've spent a lot of money on this car, at this point what is more for proper injectors.

You can buy some GM injector that flow around 50-52LB/hr, plenty good for 450-500hp. You'll be roasting tires at this power level. I don't have the link for this at this time but I'm sure a few guys do, they are cheap injectors that always work and there is data for them on this forum.

I suggest you only install the 2 bar OS on your computer when the time comes, you will get better VE resolution for tuning. Then just input the MAP sensor data correctly.

Fail the MAF sensor, turn off all EVAP stuff and o2 sensor stuff. You will be required to weld in a wideband o2 sensor bung. You don't need to use o2 sensors but a wideband must be used for tuning.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    A lot of time and money is right. Complete restoration in 7 months by myself.
    This was just to get it on the road. $500 for HPT hurt my soul.
    Last edited by Windsma; 04-07-2023 at 08:54 PM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274424906026

50.4 lb-hr @ 58 psi
    700 crankshaft HP with a referenced regulator, on gasoline - less with non-referenced, much less if non-referenced and E85

Probably on the small side for what a 7875 can do. Crappy decapped injectors are not the thing to save money on with a build like this. If the real GM 50lb'ers will meet your goals that's great, but if not you need real injectors.

Tuner in Training
    Well, i wasnt expecting that cheap.
    Direct drop ins for the l33 truck intake and wiring connectors? My goal is 10-12psi max
    Last edited by Windsma; 04-07-2023 at 10:03 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I ordered the ones that you linked and amazon will be sending adapters thanks.

I'd really recommend not using Multec to EV6 adapters, cut and splice real EV6 connectors instead. The adapters are all too often cheap garbage. Especially so from Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132370243894

Tuner in Training
    so these are junk?
    https://www.amazon.com/GooDeal-Injec...a-633109391477

this is how it sits now. Trans should be finished next week. Thats the only thing I didnt do myself.
    Thanks for helping out. Im the son of a Boomer. Ive done a few LS swaps but this is my first Forced Induction.
    side note: there's no room for an intercooler.
    Last edited by Windsma; 04-08-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I think that BlindSquirrel means the adapters from Amazon are a crapshoot. No real way of knowing if those in particular are better or worse than average. I wouldn?t use adapters unless you think that you are going to swap back and forth. Of course some of this depends on your electrical skills.

Tuner in Training
    thanks, i intended to cut and solder those amazon ones. I was making sure he wasnt talking about the non-wire type.

Senior Tuner
    These are the ones blindsquirrel usually recommends
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/132370243894

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Windsma View Post
    there's no room for an intercooler.
    theres always room for an intercooler....

inter.jpg

Tuner
    Start out with an injector flow bench, you can get a cheap one from autool. A matched set of injectors are key. You can spend a lot of money on a flow matched set of injectors that have data but if you have an issue you will just chase your tail. Leaky injectors are going to kill your engine fast. Every little thing you do to this car will alter its flow charachteristics and power curve. The dyno will get you a solid base line but it will behave different on the street/strip . you already know all of this.

Tuner in Training
    I had two sets of decapped I planned to send off then I couldn't justify the cost vs. new injectors.
    I know some. After the 7mo thrash on the car I could use some real world advice.
    I never thought ebay would be any better than Amazon.

Senior Tuner
    Only the injectors linked in this thread have proven to be good. I wouldn’t consider buying injectors off eBay or Amazon beyond these except maybe from this same seller.

Tuner in Training
    👍 they will be here next week
    Hate to be the needy bitch but i cant find a 2 bar map sensor. Any recommendation? If not truck style then i?ll need a pigtail.
    Last edited by Windsma; 04-08-2023 at 08:24 PM.

If you already bought a 3 bar sensor just use that. The computer doesn't care what sensor you bought, the data just has to be entered correctly.

But for a 2 bar sensor most run a cobalt SS MAP.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I sent it back because the connector was wrong, bought a converter and it was wrong too.

The 'GooDeal' adapters are not, I guarantee you even without seeing them, using genuine Delphi connector bodies and locks and terminals. They're using the cheapest possible Chinese copies of what they think a Delphi connector should be shaped like. The terminals are as thin and flimsy as it is possible to make them. Pins are undersized or the wrong shape. The crimps are often not good. The wire is often aluminum or plated aluminum, because it's cheaper. Wire insulation is most likely PVC - which is probably fine for disposable USB trinket gizmos that these factories are used to dealing with. They're just copying what they think an injector connector should look like without doing the engineering to actually build something that'll survive in an underhood environment.