Thread: Noob Needing Help - First Start Achieved... Now what?

Potential Tuner

Noob Needing Help - First Start Achieved... Now what?

Hello All,

I'm very new to tuning and was able to configure the basics to get the engine to start/run successfully. Now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as to what to do next. The truck starts and runs smooth.

Looking for some direction advice. Config/scanner files attached.

Mostly stock 2001 DBC engine swap into a 65 C10 with 4l60E

BTR Truck Norris CAM (NOT NSR)
    BTR Beehive Springs to match cam
    Holley Sniper 3 bolt throttle body (85mm)
    Patriot LS cast exhaust manifolds.
    EGR delete plugs
    Converted the fuel rail to returnless. (Removed regulator on rail and replaced with fuel gauge and plugged return line - (using corvette regulator/filter)

Otherwise all stock....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Seannr; 04-07-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Here's your file, with injector data taken from a 2006 Express 2500 4.8L, which used the same 17113698 injectors but with a returnless/non-referenced fuel system at your same 58psi rail pressure.

first start - 04072023 - 17113698 returnless injector data.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Here's your file, with injector data taken from a 2006 Express 2500 4.8L, which used the same 17113698 injectors but with a returnless/non-referenced fuel system at your same 58psi rail pressure.

first start - 04072023 - 17113698 returnless injector data.hpt
    Thank you for the guidance on this. I had missed that I needed to compensate for the returnless/pump change. Went for my first test drive today and logged the result. While I can tell I have a long way to go in the tuning, the engine was smooth (drivable).

I'm having an issue with a p0785 code and the transmission not shifting appropriately. So starting to look into this issue now. Any chance something in the tune could cause the p0785 code and the resulting shift issues... trying to determine if I have a hardware or software error before dropping the pan on the trans.

Thanks Again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Seannr; 04-10-2023 at 03:50 PM.

I think you should unplug the trans 20-way connector and check pin E/pin S on both sides before going straight to pulling the pan. Assuming you used a 13-pin trans that matches the engine, that is.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I think you should unplug the trans 20-way connector and check pin E/pin S on both sides before going straight to pulling the pan. Assuming you used a 13-pin trans that matches the engine, that is.
    Much appreciated Blindsquirrel with 4972 posts and counting I'm sure much of this is "easy" and routine for you. But... I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond to a guy new to this and trying his darndest to learn when your expertise is clearly well out of Noob land. You are a huge asset to the tuner community as I see your posts everywhere including us new guys. Thanks Again.

The problem was indeed the S connection. My harness was wired for 4l80E yet sold as 4l60E. I found the white "S" wire folded over and taped up within the harness just above the trans pigtail. After moving the current Brown "S" wire to "U" and inserting the newly found white wire into "S" everything cleared up and the truck is running with no DTC's.

Now I can start figuring out how to actually tune the truck!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seannr View Post
    Now I can start figuring out how to actually tune the truck!!!
    after about 3 months from now, youll still be starting to figure it out...
    lol

seriously, it is a big undertaking.
    start with BRAF
    then idle
    then VE
    then MAF
    then recheck idle, VE, MAF.
    then WOT
    then timing
    youll hve a good understanding of whats going on by now, and youll start doing your own tweeks and changes to suit your combo

enjoy