Thread: Gear Ratio Discrepancy

Tuner in Training

Gear Ratio Discrepancy

Hi Guys,

New to HP Tuners. Just read my stock 2009 Sierra 1500 4.8 and found a discrepancy in gear ratios. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before. I'm assuming this would affect the trans tuning.

ECM 3.42
    Build Sheet 3.42
    TCM 3.73
    Gear/Tire Wizard 3.73

Gears.jpggear wizard.jpgbuild.jpg

You need to do a more thorough job on the RPO's. It is possible to see the equip group but have an additional RPO that has a gear change and locking diff. I have not had HPT have this error. It has always been spot on. Verify mechanically with rear tire rotation on a jack stand that you actually have 3.42's and not the 3.73's. If you actually have 3.42's then you need to correct that.

My Envoy was built with RPO GT4 (3.73) and the stock file has
    Ratio 3.73
    Ratio - Error 3.73
    Trans 4.10
    Trans - Error 3.42

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    You need to do a more thorough job on the RPO's. It is possible to see the equip group but have an additional RPO that has a gear change and locking diff. I have not had HPT have this error. It has always been spot on. Verify mechanically with rear tire rotation on a jack stand that you actually have 3.42's and not the 3.73's. If you actually have 3.42's then you need to correct that.
    Then you haven't looked at very many Gen 4 truck calibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Then you haven't looked at very many Gen 4 truck calibrations.
    You regularly find the diff gearing in the wizard does not match the actual diff gearing?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    You regularly find the diff gearing in the wizard does not match the actual diff gearing?
    Sometimes the wizard doesn't know (shows a 6 something) and there will be 2 different ratios in the speedo tab.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I will have to pay more attention to that. I rarely change the gear ratio with the wizard unless it happens to have been changed.

Senior Tuner
    Never use the wizard on Gen 4 truck calibrations. Do it manually in the speedometer tab. That is where you will find all kinds of discrepancies. Using the wizard is just asking for the Brake and or ABS light to come on.

Senior Tuner
    I wouldn't say that.. I use it several times a day and do not have any issues outside of guys coming in with absolutely insanely big wheels.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    And I got this in a PM a few days ago.

"HPT wizard changed all 3 fields for vss tire revs per mile, and changes the
    driven tire circ and non driven circ as well as the final drive 3 fields to match gear ratio.
    AND it is causing ABS freak out.

07 silverado put on 35s and abs freaks out about 40mph."

Senior Tuner
    07 silverado is likely one that read 6.51 or whatever in the gear tire change box unless it's a classic OBS.

And 35's are getting into that "insanely big wheels" category.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com