Thread: CAN voltage less than 5 volts combined

Potential Tuner

CAN voltage less than 5 volts combined

Hello All,

This is not exactly HP Tuners specific but,,hoping someone may be able to shed some light,,for a newbie,,, in regards to what I think,the CAN bus voltages on a 2010 Chevrolet Suburban seems to be too low i recently purchased,,that has a rough idle
    Bottom line,should the total between CAN-HI & Can-LO with key on,not running equal 5 volts,, grounding to either IGN,,grnd , or battery grnd 4 & 5 pin of DLC.
    Read somewhat conflicting articles on this some saying the two values measuring these readings ,, at the DLC,should be almost exactly 5 volts,,, combined , when the next article claims it should only be 'close to' 5 volts total.
    Just learning the ropes on CAN bus theory.

My particular truck,,,
    CAN-HI = 2.6 volts
    CAN-LO = 2.1 volts --- .3 volt less than the 5 volts combined.

..or is this an ok scenario?.

To the point i think i am going to purchase a low end table top/portable oscilloscope and try and see what i can see with this device plugged into the CAN bus.

Thanks

Tuning Addict
    CAN always toggles rapidly. High around 2.5 and Low around 2. Looks good to me. You would know if there was an issue. Lots of things wouldn't work.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Pretty good explanation of the GM system.
    http://resources.aeswave.com/ATG-05_...%20may%20occur.

Quote Originally Posted by brcisna View Post
    Hello All,

This is not exactly HP Tuners specific but,,hoping someone may be able to shed some light,,for a newbie,,, in regards to what I think,the CAN bus voltages on a 2010 Chevrolet Suburban seems to be too low i recently purchased,,that has a rough idle
    Bottom line,should the total between CAN-HI & Can-LO with key on,not running equal 5 volts,, grounding to either IGN,,grnd , or battery grnd 4 & 5 pin of DLC.
    Read somewhat conflicting articles on this some saying the two values measuring these readings ,, at the DLC,should be almost exactly 5 volts,,, combined , when the next article claims it should only be 'close to' 5 volts total.
    Just learning the ropes on CAN bus theory.

My particular truck,,,
    CAN-HI = 2.6 volts
    CAN-LO = 2.1 volts --- .3 volt less than the 5 volts combined.

..or is this an ok scenario?.

To the point i think i am going to purchase a low end table top/portable oscilloscope and try and see what i can see with this device plugged into the CAN bus.

Thanks
    Kind of like A/C electrical you have RMS (Root Mean Square) as opposed to Peak To Peak values.
    953Eb.gif

I'm not aware of any scenario where CAN issues would show up as a rough idle being the symptom. Horses, not zebras.