Thread: Cold Start Dies Immediately

Potential Tuner

Cold Start Dies Immediately

I have a 98 T/A that's been speed density tuned. I picked up HP Tuners to learn and so I don't have to drive a few hours if I change something on the car. Anyways since I live in KY and Spring is almost here, it's cold (funny how that works here). Well this cool morning I decided to try and start it just to see how well it does and it immediately died. Not even 2 seconds later. Well it did start back up with no throttle input and had a little surging then smoothed itself out and idled up to temp just fine.

I believe I logged everything I need to get an idea, I just need some input and guidance on what exactly I'm looking at and what tables to start looking at to get it to stay alive the first time.

Setup on the car:
    Ported Fast 92mm Intake
    PTM 92mm Throttle Body
    227/235 .619/.606 110+4
    TSP 1.875in Headers
    Stock Heads
    Stock Bottom End LS1

Here's the log and the tune.

Cold Start Warm-Up Dies.hpl 98 TA Speed Density.hpt

Senior Tuner
    I see two things that will help that issue.

The fuel trims are around -10% once it's at operating temperature. Just need to dial in the idle area of the VE just a bit more.

The IAC is around 105 or so once it's up to temp. You'll need to open the TB blade just a bit more. The IAC should be in the 40-60 range at a warm idle.

Potential Tuner
    I changed the VE table some and logged a hot idle. Didn't even change the throttle set screw yet and the IAC counts were 30+ lower this time, not sure why. Hovers around 50-70, So I'll open the throttle blade just a tad bit.

Here's the hot idle log.

Hot Idle Log.hpl
    Last edited by JonRussell18; 03-12-2023 at 10:57 AM.