Thread: E38 Complete Pinout

Tuner

E38 Complete Pinout

Here is a E38 complete pinout.
    Information is gained by pieces from GM SI, tracing and probing disassembled ECM PCB and reverse engineering of several OSes.

E38 Complete Pinout.pdf
    Last edited by verlon; 03-12-2023 at 12:30 AM.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Advanced Tuner
    very nice. Any hints if there is a pin used to select the throttle maps. I have a definition for an old OS that gives an option to allow switching maps via CANbus or Discrete requests.

"Used to enable checking of GMLAN Throttle progression request signal (TRUE) or traditional discrete inputs (4WDL, Sport, Winter, Trailer) (FALSE)"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    very nice. Any hints if there is a pin used to select the throttle maps. I have a definition for an old OS that gives an option to allow switching maps via CANbus or Discrete requests.

"Used to enable checking of GMLAN Throttle progression request signal (TRUE) or traditional discrete inputs (4WDL, Sport, Winter, Trailer) (FALSE)"
    If this switch is set to false (as all calibrations a saw) Throttle maps selected using 4WDLow and ECO mode inputs:
    A - Normal
    B - 4WD Low
    C - ECO
    If switch is set to true then throttle map is selected by BCM (GMT900-like BCM always transmits map A selection).

Can you share your definition?

Advanced Tuner
    I had a sneaking suspicion there was multiple inputs to select between maps, unless it used some form of resistance based difference like the t43's, but i couldn't see anything in ghidra.

So it would make sense:
    Map A is default
    MAP B - "4wd" - X1-3
    MAP C - "Eco" - X2-66
    MAP D - Limp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    I had a sneaking suspicion there was multiple inputs to select between maps, unless it used some form of resistance based difference like the t43's, but i couldn't see anything in ghidra.

So it would make sense:
    Map A is default
    MAP B - "4wd" - X1-3
    MAP C - "Eco" - X2-66
    MAP D - Limp
    Yes, but you have to enable 4WDL (X1-2) and ECO (X2-55) mode inputs in calibration.
    4WDL is enabled by setting Transfer Case Type to Manual 2 Speed.
    ECO Mode is a bit complex thing. You have to enable ECO Option, calibrate switch resistance and check that ECO mode will not interfere with DoD (if applicable).

And there is special Throttle Mode E - direct APP for factory dyno.
    Last edited by verlon; 12-01-2023 at 01:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Im working with Holden Calibrations (12609099 & 12607218) for now & funnily enough by default it has the 4WD low option already enabled. None of the cars i work with ever have DOD anyway, so no big deal.

I'm a few weeks, maybe month away from testing, i was initially just doing this to convert the car from the t42 to t43/6l80 setup, then seen the throttle parameters.

The selectable throttle mapping has always been something I've wanted but we never got a factory option for it in the AUS built cars. I've wanted selectable throttle maps to limit power on blown cars for years, would also be useful for theft scenarios. Set default mode to limp mode, car wont get anywhere in a hurry. lol